Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15691
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   11/20/2018, 1:40 pm

Distance to be shot - 20 yards
Off Hand shooting Shooter may use his or her favorite shooting position!

The four basic “NRA” or “competition” rifle shooting positions are: prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing (also called “offhand”). No cross sticks, slings or support of any kind.

Shoot the Snowman target 3 times!

Shoot the Reindeer target 3 times!

Bonus Points! Take the Top Hat off Frosty for an extra point!

Bonus Points! Shoot the Antlers off the reindeer! ( One shot per antler only ) to pick up an extra two possible points!

----------------------------

EXAMPLE of how your target should look.

Last edited by FrontierGander on 11/21/2018, 10:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com Online
Mike in Oz

Male Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2017-09-22

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   11/20/2018, 5:32 pm

So you have to choose between going centre mass as normal, or using one (or more) of your three to go for the glory points?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   11/21/2018, 10:38 am

@PaulK wrote:
@FrontierGander wrote:
@Mike in Oz wrote:
So you have to choose between going centre mass as normal, or using one (or more) of your three to go for the glory points?

Um no, you shoot center 3 times. If you want to pick up some extra points, shoot the hat off his head, and shoot the antlers 1 shot each.

So now I'm confused. Is that a total of 6 or 8 shots?

Scroll up, I added an example target of how it should look. 3 shots center into each target. The antlers and hat are bonus points if you want to gain an edge.
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1730
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   11/21/2018, 7:57 pm

9 Shots total- for us slow folks. (Me)

3 each center mass. Plus, one each at EACH of the antlers and one at hat. Total of 9.

The picture helps. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I got it.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2950
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   11/22/2018, 10:04 am

I just cleaned up some of the talk that will confuse KC with more questions than needed. I have you new target Paul, your good. 

Now if KC can get his crap together "where's my balls" - "where you left them last time you used them !@#$%^ "  :barf   Razz

Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   11/22/2018, 11:01 am

Hey! I am just proud of the fact that I got it right. I counted on my fingers and double checked my math with my toes! 

As to the other thing, I know a lotta fellas who can' t seem to control their balls... On the range or else where. Twisted Evil

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   11/22/2018, 4:29 pm

Thank goodness you didn't run out of fingers or toes. Jonathan doesn't want you using your wee knee.   Very Happy

Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   11/23/2018, 4:44 pm

KEEP CHECKING THIS REPLY AS THE SCORE CARD KEEPS CHANGING.

Seems several of you folks had the same idea after Jonathan made this shoot rules clearer that even that guy from Florida could understand rules.

Looks like a few got away from the table and went shooting in the afternoon.

Here's what has been sent in as of an hour ago, now you can see what and who you are shooting against. Pretty fast turn around guys, lets hope the number of shooters climbs upward.   :rtup

You have a whole month to shoot this match, so get your thoughts together on what position would be best for some good scores.  At this distance I'm use to offhand but shot this target sitting using my knee to keep be steady.  

Your going to find it's easier to get (hit) the bonus points than hit the damn target . !@#$%RT^  pale

Updated 12-03-18

I have been told by (4) of the shooters they weren't interested in the prizes as they have more stuff than they will ever use. With that being the situation those that haven't shot their targets better do so, its an open field now. Who else doesn't care about a prize?
Buck

Last edited by Buck Conner on 12/6/2018, 2:20 pm; edited 10 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Mad Irish Jack ODonnell

Male Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2016-02-11

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   11/26/2018, 9:43 pm

Here in PA, our deer regular season ends next Saturday 12-8. I'll try to hole up on target on the 9th.
Then our primitive, flintlock only, deer season starts 12-26 through 1-12. Dress PC and have fun.  t up
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://rangersoftheohiocompany.shutterfly.com/
Mike in Oz

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   11/27/2018, 6:22 am

I have to admit I really enjoyed that shoot, what a difference reading the rules makes! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   11/27/2018, 9:33 am

@Mad Irish Jack ODonnell wrote:
Here in PA, .....  Then our primitive, flintlock only, deer season starts 12-26 through 1-12. Dress PC and have fun.  t up

Back in the 70's I was President of the Colorado State Muzzle Loading Association, we have our yearly shoot at Leadville CO, home of the 101st Mountain Troops (WII training site). A group of us are in a 22' tepee talking about CO and their rules for muzzleloading seasons coming up. The muzzleloading seasons in CO are not a given, the Association lobbies for them every three years which most don't realize or don't think about it. 

In this meeting I mention that PA's muzzleloading season is flintlock only. Some damn fool outside the tepee runs around the camp of 500 shooters yelling our President is saying our season should be "FLINTLOCK ONLY". Within a half hour a small group want to kick my butt for such an idea, my Vice President confronts them while I end the meeting. He tells them that was not what was stated and finds this drunk that started this mess. 

I come out, a-hole is pointed out and go one on one and kick this big mouth's ass breaking his nose in the fight which stopped all the baloney on the spot. Crap a Denver Post Reporter took a picture of this scrap and it appears on a back page of Sunday's sport section with comments.

I know all about PA flintlock season being I'm originally from that state Mad Jack.   lol!  I loved this kind of baloney when younger, Leadville had a great bar that we would go to dressed in primitive clothing after shooting all day. Biker's would hang out there during the summer, we never had a problem with any of them. They were fun to hang with. One of the Hell's Angles told us "we are much alike, just a different mode of transportation".  Those were some good times for all involved.

* Jack I use to hunt your area with a friend that was a reporter for the Record-Outlook newspaper, he's gone now, had lots of stories about some of the characters in your surroundings.

Wait until the first of next year and you see what Rhino Dave sent me for a shoot idea, you'll love it.

Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   11/29/2018, 4:51 pm

Hey, just closed the Nov #5 Postal Match this evening, now we are wanting you guys to at least shoot the Christmas Postal Match that Frontier Gander provided the target for. 

Where's Rhino Dave, Russell, Mad Irish Jack, Jonathan, Hill Jack,  KC, John Diehl, Oh, Stoney was talking about showing us how to shoot, how about the rest that belong here and talk shooting (time to show what you got)?   

Shooter Shooter Shooter 
NO SHOOTING BEHIND THE FIRING LINE FOLKS

Come on down ...  Tease

Last edited by Buck Conner on 12/3/2018, 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   11/30/2018, 5:46 am

@Buck Conner wrote:
Hey, 
Where's Rhino Dave, Russell, Mad Irish Jack, Jonathan, Hill Jack, Gordon, KC, John Diehl, Oh Stoney, how about the rest that belong here and talk shooting (time to show what you got)?   

Shooter Shooter Shooter 
NO SHOOTING BEHIND THE FIRING LINE FOLKS

Come on down ...  Tease

Jeez, boss! Some of us need to actually wait for December to shoot our December shoot! Very Happy

My targets will likely land around the third week, Buck. If all goes to plan, there will be three new shooters submitting with me. Spartan, Grumpy, and Palehorse have all agreed. Palehorse has posted here in the past. All of them have read this Forum, but Spartan is new to BP. Grumpy will shoot anything that is practical and/or fun. 

If I am correct, Grumpy & Palehorse will be shooting a Knight product. Spartan will be shooting a loaner. I will be using the Cabelas Hawken I mentioned before.

Fellas, this is all pure fun. You should come and grab a slice. Shoot with a friend and its even more fun. Palehorse has switched rifles like a golfer switches clubs! Spartan is just a mess. Grumpy bought Palehorse's old Knight. And I waffled between flintlock and new percussion toy. The smack talk has been entertaining and a joy. Nobody cares how well you shoot. Its about the pleasure of getting out there and having fun. Jump in!

NMLRA

Last edited by Kentucky Colonel on 11/30/2018, 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike in Oz

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   11/30/2018, 5:56 am

Sweet! 😆

New players in the game that is “Try and bang holes in a piece of paper while being heckled by the peanut gallery!” 😂
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   11/30/2018, 9:25 am

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
@Buck Conner wrote:

Come on down ...  Tease

Jeez, boss! Some of us need to actually wait for December to shoot our December shoot! Very Happy

My targets will likely land around the third week, Buck.

That's fine KC.

If I am correct, Grumpy & Palehorse will be shooting a Knight product. Spartan will be shooting a loaner. I will be using the Cabelas Hawken I mentioned before.

The rifles need to be traditional guns not In-Lines KC.

Fellas, this is all pure fun. You should come and grab a slice. Bring a shoot with a friend and its even more fun. I waffled between flintlock and new percussion toys.

The smack talk has been entertaining and a joy. Nobody cares how well you shoot. Its about the pleasure of getting out there and having fun. Jump in!

Thanks KC.

Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   11/30/2018, 10:28 am

"The rifles need to be traditional guns not In-Lines KC"

Hmmm... That might knock some out. IDK. Palehorse has a Lyman side-lock. I don't know that he is bringing it. I have a side-lock. Spartan just has his ROA pistol. I don't know what Grumpy has at home. We'll see. I may just have them shoot it for the sheer fun of it. Palehorse might be accurate enough to give you guys a run for your money, but we were not doing it to win. (I have seen the targets you guys are posting)

Mike in Oz is right. We were about the 'peanut gallery.' Old hens have cackled less about their eggs than us about our rifle choice and load choice. LaughingLaughingLaughing 

I doubt the hens are having as much fun. I'll mark what was used and let you know. A disqualification is still a participation. I may not even tell them till its over unless they are already lurking here. They can blame me afterward. (Chuckle) They would enjoy that, too!
jocolor

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   11/30/2018, 10:58 am

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
"The rifles need to be traditional guns not In-Lines KC"

Hmmm... That might knock some out. IDK. Palehorse has a Lyman side-lock. I don't know that he is bringing it. I have a side-lock...... 

It's not about winning, just for shits and grins.  If this was serious target shooting, I would do like we use to do for the State or National Titles (shoot every evening until dark, weigh every charge, every round ball and mic. the patches).  Wish I was younger and we would get serious, these matches at least got me to open the gun safe (may need to practice - not just shoot the target and go home).

Mike in Oz is right. We were about the 'peanut gallery.' Old hens have cackled less about their eggs than us about our rifle choice and load choice. LaughingLaughingLaughing 

They can blame me afterward. (Chuckle) They would enjoy that, too!
jocolor  I'm sure they will, right, wrong or indifferent .....

Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   11/30/2018, 5:51 pm

One of these two prizes goes to the 1st place winner, they will get to choose from these!

The knife and sheath was donated by Stoney and Smokin' Joe was kind enough to donate the shooting bag. 1st place winner will get to choose between the knife and the shooting bag. The bag will also have some goodies inside... Or maybe it won't.

PER THE BOSS FOR SCORING
" Buck add both main target hits, then tally up the extra points challenge."

I have been told by (5) of the shooters they weren't interested in the prizes as they have more stuff than they will ever use. With that being the situation those that haven't shot their targets better do so, its an open field now.
Buck
Back to top Go down
Mike in Oz

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   12/1/2018, 4:41 am

Oh wow, very nice for someone! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   12/4/2018, 5:26 pm

Shot mine today! Wow what a challenge that was! I thought I would be able to see that one really well. Not so lol.
Back to top Go down
bronko22000

Male Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2016-03-22

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   12/5/2018, 2:40 pm

This looks like a bunch of fun.  I just might try it sometime between end of our rifle season and primitive ML season. 
I just wish the rules would be offhand only.  That would surely separate the good shooters from the rest of the pack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   12/5/2018, 3:23 pm

I did mine all off hand.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   12/5/2018, 3:26 pm

@bronko22000 wrote:
This looks like a bunch of fun.  I just might try it sometime between end of our rifle season and primitive ML season. 
I just wish the rules would be offhand only.  That would surely separate the good shooters from the rest of the pack.

What's really odd is most of the guys shooting these matches shoot them offhand (because that's what they have done for years, other positions are uncomfortable to them).  jocolor

Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   12/5/2018, 3:39 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
I did mine all off hand.

I don't have any idea to the amount of time I have stood in front of a mirror watching for a quiver or unusual move that may effect a round going down range.

Or the same with a wood chip in place of a flint watching for a flinch as the chip hits the frizzen.

After 40 years of serious shooting (wanting to beat the ones that always brag) I finally realized one day "Was all that time practicing really worth it"?  

Then I remembered one of my first bosses (some may have heard of him Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins).

He's the guy that developed the small block Chevy for GM along with all the speed options. Then helped in the design of the big blocks for GM along with the speed options. He won about everything one could win for the classes he ran in with drag racing. 

A reporter wrote about Jenkins asking about winning. Bill's remark was "If you never won anything, then you wouldn't understand the feeling of doing so".  Says it all in one line. Oh for the good times again ...

Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   12/6/2018, 9:30 am

@Mad Irish Jack ODonnell wrote:
Here in PA, our deer regular season ends next Saturday 12-8. I'll try to hole up on target on the 9th.
Then our primitive, flintlock only, deer season starts 12-26 through 1-12. Dress PC and have fun.  t up

Mad Jack the clock is ticking toward the 9th of the month, I'm waiting .......   Basketball

PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN   

Back to top Go down

CHRISTMAS SHOOT NOW OPEN
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Announcements & Events :: FRONTIER MUZZLELOADING POSTAL MATCHES-
Jump to: