Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Herb Knife and other Musings

Go down 
AuthorMessage
heelerau

heelerau

Male Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2018-02-08

Herb Knife and other Musings Empty
PostSubject: Herb Knife and other Musings   Herb Knife and other Musings EmptyNovember 20th 2018, 2:06 pm

Herb Knife and other Musings <a href=P1030106 2 by Gordon Hazel, on Flickr" />
Herb Knife and other Musings <a href=Herb Knife and other Musings 44159589060_5541680207_nP1030101 by Gordon Hazel, on Flickr" />
Gents, my mate Gary who is both a farrier and blacksmith of many years ( second generation blacksmith) dropped over and we spent a few hours over a couple of days in my smithy. I made my second herb knife out of a small file, with Gary giving me a few of the finer points of smithing. I am largely self taught so getting a tune up saves me reinventing the wheel as they say.  Handle is a bit of apricot branch and the cross pin is a piece of no 8 soft fencing wire. Blade was hardened in canola oil.  
      Just yesterday dropped into a place owed by a chap who haunts farm clearing sales and buys and sells old mac
hinery and tools. I picked up the remains of a Buffalo post drill mod 611, it had still had the auto metic feed which I have now fitted to my own Buffalo mo 615. It works a treat and they are like rocking horse poop to find, have been looking for years. I did have to pay for it though, but there you are. Herb Knife and other Musings <a href=Herb Knife and other Musings 45926473982_7346487aed_nHerb Knife and other Musings <a href=Herb Knife and other Musings 45926488372_994ea8cf1f_nP1030106 2 by Gordon Hazel, on Flickr" />
P1030105 by Gordon Hazel, on Flickr" />

RhinoDave

Male Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2017-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Herb Knife and other Musings   Herb Knife and other Musings EmptyNovember 20th 2018, 3:40 pm

Very nice. Some of those old machines work better than anything made today.  I wonder if an old horse shoe would make a good herb knfe.

heelerau

PostSubject: Re: Herb Knife and other Musings   Herb Knife and other Musings EmptyNovember 20th 2018, 5:00 pm

I don't see why an old horse shoe would not make a herb knife, jus have to be a bit careful of the edge as shoe steel is relatively soft.

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3443
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Herb Knife and other Musings   Herb Knife and other Musings EmptyDecember 9th 2018, 12:20 pm

Hey this is fashioned after a colonial period vegetable chopper and like this one they were made by the village/settlement's blacksmiths from horseshoes. 

What is also interesting is in early times only the wealthy could afford shoeing, just how many veg. choppers were ever made early on?

Herb Knife and other Musings 45926473982_7346487aed_n

I first found one in Maryland back in the 50's didn't know what it was until visiting Williamsburg in the mid 70's where they had several originals found there on display.  

Interesting item from everyone's past according to Williamsburg site.

Back to top Go down
heelerau

heelerau

PostSubject: Re: Herb Knife and other Musings   Herb Knife and other Musings EmptyFebruary 23rd 2019, 5:03 am

Did a barrel lap in the smithy today on the Baker Fusil. I sure has made it nice for a patched ball to slide down now. Still plenty of pitting but judging how it went with the thick greased felt over powder wads and loaded easily then. Just noted a certain amount of roughness when seating the ball on the wad. Will get to shoot it on Sunday and see if it has improved.Herb Knife and other Musings 40220405693_ffdca2579fP1030153 by Gordon Hazel, on FlickrHerb Knife and other Musings 46270973475_946b98f83eP1030156 by Gordon Hazel, on FlickrHerb Knife and other Musings 40220390423_9d8e246fcaP1030157 by Gordon Hazel, on Flickr

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3767
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Herb Knife and other Musings   Herb Knife and other Musings EmptyFebruary 24th 2019, 2:28 pm

Knife making is really  Cool 
I'm a big fan of the TV show "Forged in Fire". Smile
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Herb Knife and other Musings   Herb Knife and other Musings EmptyMarch 9th 2019, 5:08 pm

That show breaks a lot of good looking knives that would never be treated like they do.  Dunno

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Herb Knife and other Musings   Herb Knife and other Musings EmptyJuly 15th 2019, 8:48 am

@heelerau wrote:
Gordon Hazel

Gordon how have you and Mike been, haven't seen or heard from you guys since Jonathan pulled the plug on postal matches.

You two livened up this websight, kick your buddy in the tailfeathers for me.  lol!

Back to top Go down

Herb Knife and other Musings
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: The Blacksmith-
Jump to: