Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

CROSS STICKS

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kicked Back

Male Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2018-11-17

CROSS STICKS  Empty
PostSubject: CROSS STICKS    CROSS STICKS  Empty2018-11-21, 10:44

out of touch for a long while and wonder who uses cross sticks and if anyone has examples. I just made a single style and if anyone can expand on them I would like it.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3490
Registration date : 2015-10-20

CROSS STICKS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROSS STICKS    CROSS STICKS  Empty2018-11-23, 13:47

Where you rest the rifle in the sticks will create different barrel harmonics and can open up your groups. 

1. Are the sticks padded? They need a strip of heavy leather between the wood and the rifle.

2. Where are you resting - wood of the forearm in the sticks? The group I shoot with rest the barrel itself in a precise location along the length (usually close to the muzzle) found  through trial and error for the 'sweet spot" - not disrupting the harmonic vibrations to a degree that reduces accuracy. 

3. Position - sitting or prone? Prone has a more solid base and more contact points. Sitting I can hold and shoot better.

You need to find your guns "sweet spot" and practice. Sticks aren't a shooting bench it requires a different technique with your hold.

Back to top Go down
Kicked Back

Male Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2018-11-17

CROSS STICKS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROSS STICKS    CROSS STICKS  Empty2018-11-23, 22:08

good evening Mr. Conner and hope your turkey day was great. I will be sitting and that is not easy for me to do "anymore" but I won't quit. Of my 3 BP rifles only my Traditions Crocket 32 allows both wood and barrel contact. My CVA Kentucky is all wood as you know and it has a 25 1/4" barrel but my GRRW 50 poorboy is also wood, clear on down the road! Having done very little stick shooting I will be mindfull of the "sweet spot" you mention and hope that I can feel it. The poorboys set trigger is real nice and I think I'm quick enough to "touch" her off inbetween the shaking and swaying! Laughing I will be back in touch after I try it out and thank you for responding, it means a lot.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3490
Registration date : 2015-10-20

CROSS STICKS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROSS STICKS    CROSS STICKS  Empty2018-11-24, 08:04

Just takes practice and you'll be successful.  :tup2

Back to top Go down

CROSS STICKS