Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

What Causes Shredded Patches?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fiddler

Fiddler

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2016-09-29

What Causes Shredded Patches? Empty
PostSubject: What Causes Shredded Patches?   What Causes Shredded Patches? EmptyNovember 24th 2018, 12:45 pm

Since I've started shooting PRB, I've never had a fired patch come out looking "reusable." They are never burned, just shredded beyond recognition.
     These come out of a .50 Lyman with 70gr of fff real powder. These are store-bought lubed CVA patches which are lubed once again by me, and a .54 lubed felt wad over the powder.
    This combination gives me nice accuracy, but I'm just wondering why my patches come out looking like that.
Back to top Go down
coyote1

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2014-02-05

PostSubject: Re: What Causes Shredded Patches?   What Causes Shredded Patches? EmptyNovember 24th 2018, 10:29 pm

Most likely there is a burr or two in the barrel. Is it a new barrel or one that has had a lot of shots put through it?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16318
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: What Causes Shredded Patches?   What Causes Shredded Patches? EmptyNovember 24th 2018, 11:40 pm

With a lyman, its mostly due to sharp rifling at the muuzle. When you loop it into the bore it probably cuts the patch, or there is chatter/edges further down the bore. Shooting helps smooth them out, but it can hundreds of shots.

Rust,pitting, sharp rifling, patches to thin, all are common issues.
Back to top Go down
Fiddler

Fiddler

PostSubject: Re: What Causes Shredded Patches?   What Causes Shredded Patches? EmptyNovember 25th 2018, 3:41 am

Thanks for the replies.
   I found this Lyman Deerstalker in a pawnshop a couple of years ago, and have no idea who previously owned it or how many shots were fired through it. The barrel seems okay as far as I can tell. The pawnbroker threw in a huge bag of accessories in the deal, including saboted bullets, powder, cleaning supplies, speed loaders, etc.
     With all this stuff included in the purchase, I was able to start shooting immediately, without having to shop for accessories.
    I shot it quite a bit while trying to work up the best load for it. Surprisingly, the saboted bullets didn't perform as well as the patched round balls as far as accuracy goes.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Fiddler

Fiddler

PostSubject: Re: What Causes Shredded Patches?   What Causes Shredded Patches? EmptyNovember 25th 2018, 1:44 pm

@strong eagle wrote:
i sound like a broken record but----------- buy some medium weight tight weave pure linen cloth off of the internet and make your own patches from that cloth. you will never have a shredded patch again. slightly frayed around the edges but never shredded. they will also increase your accuracy. linen is very tough.
 Is online the only place I can get it, or will my local fabrics store, like JoAnn's have it?
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: What Causes Shredded Patches?   What Causes Shredded Patches? EmptyNovember 25th 2018, 2:40 pm

I have never been a patch voyeur.  If your accuracy is good, who cares what they look like?  They are not meant to be reused.

If your patch is proper size and proper lubed for the charge and barrel you don't need a over-powder wad.

On the other hand, if you are shooting tiny groups you don't need to change anything.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

What Causes Shredded Patches?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: