Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Need a gun box!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
CoHiCntry
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
CoHiCntry

Male Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-10-01

Need a gun box! Empty
PostSubject: Need a gun box!   Need a gun box! EmptyNovember 26th 2018, 7:56 am

I had a gun built and need a box for the gunsmith to ship it to me in.  I'm having trouble finding an actual gun box to purchase that's long enough for the gun.  He say's the box needs to be about 64" long as the actual gun length is 53".

I know a bunch of places to look like ski shops, UPS store, gun stores etc, so not looking for ideas of places to try.  Wondering if anyone knows exactly where to purchase a gun box this long?  An actual box designed to ship guns in not just a box big enough.

I was gonna call the Mountain Man store in Manitou Springs this morning and see if he knows where to get one assuming he ships longer guns once in awhile.

Also thought about buying a cheap rifle hard case from Walmart or somewhere like that but they are all 52" or less.  Thanks...
Back to top Go down
dbowling

Male Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2014-01-22

Need a gun box! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a gun box!   Need a gun box! EmptyNovember 26th 2018, 1:06 pm

If he built the gun why would you have to supply a box, seems if he's going to build them then he should have a source for boxes and add to price of the build that way customer doesn't have to run around looking for box when gun is done.
 I had a custom inline built and gunsmith bought a hard case and shipped it to me in it.
Back to top Go down
dbowling

Need a gun box! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a gun box!   Need a gun box! EmptyNovember 26th 2018, 1:08 pm

if your going to buy a hard case then get 2 of the cheap 20-25.00 ones and cut one in half and put together to make a big case.
Back to top Go down
CoHiCntry
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
CoHiCntry

Male Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-10-01

Need a gun box! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a gun box!   Need a gun box! EmptyNovember 26th 2018, 5:53 pm

@dbowling wrote:
If he built the gun why would you have to supply a box, seems if he's going to build them then he should have a source for boxes and add to price of the build that way customer doesn't have to run around looking for box when gun is done.
 I had a custom inline built and gunsmith bought a hard case and shipped it to me in it.

Yeah, I kinda assumed he would take care of figuring out how to ship it to me.  No idea how he's done it in the past?

@dbowling wrote:
if your going to buy a hard case then get 2 of the cheap 20-25.00 ones and cut one in half and put together to make a big case.

That's not a bad idea... I might look into doing that.  Would take a little engineering, or a little duct tape!  Thanks for the idea!
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Need a gun box! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a gun box!   Need a gun box! EmptyNovember 26th 2018, 6:17 pm

Two boxes spliced together works fine.
Back to top Go down
dbowling

Need a gun box! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a gun box!   Need a gun box! EmptyNovember 26th 2018, 6:24 pm

I've shipped quiet a few custom recurves and longbows in spliced together gun cases, works good as long as you slide one case up into the other one far enough..
Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
RonC

Male Number of posts : 1139
Registration date : 2013-09-09

Need a gun box! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a gun box!   Need a gun box! EmptyNovember 27th 2018, 8:17 pm

I just sent you a personal message about the possibility of borrowing a long rifle travel I have.
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man’s Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, It’s Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
peace 32

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2017-07-22

Need a gun box! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a gun box!   Need a gun box! EmptyNovember 29th 2018, 8:51 am

crazy crow has one 72 inches long it is airline approved not cheap at 269.00 in my cat, but safe
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3406
Registration date : 2015-10-20

Need a gun box! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a gun box!   Need a gun box! EmptyNovember 30th 2018, 12:20 pm

1). Go buy (2) cedar "stockade pickets", they are 3-7/8" wide and 6' long. Use these for your framework. There's enough material to make a strong gun shipping box. They are light as you need to save weight.

2). Leave enough room at either end for bubble wrap (you will have a pair of pickets 60" long with (2) 12" end pieces. 

3). I used an elect. stapler to attach the ends to the box frame.

4). Purchased one of the tall moving clothing boxes from Home Depot then layed my frame on the opened up box, traced the outline of the frame plus one side on the cardboard (cut that out). On the next piece of cardboard trave the frame, (1) side of the frame and both ends. Put you gun in one of the cloth sleeves like Cabelas sells and then wrap it in small bubble wrap (use an extra wrap around the lock area and make small rolls of bubble wrap to be taped inside the case at either end and along the sides to prevent moving. 

5). Then staple one of the cardboard pieces to your frame, turn it over and place your bubble wrapped gun inside your box, tape the gun to the wood frame, place your rolls of bubble wrap at the ends, around the gun, make sure the lock is protected. 

6). Now place the other piece of cardboard on your framework and staple it in place with end pieces fold and stapled. 

7). I use duct tape on the outside to seal all the open seams and a few extra around the body of the cased gun.

Sounds like a lot of work, but when at Cabelas I was the one in the Gun Library in Lehi UT that shipped all the guns, whether new or those expensive antiques. We averaged 1,200 - 1,250 guns yearly, in 5 years we only lost only one gun (a fork lift driver was a "tree hucker" and she drove over the box). She was caught by the security cameras at UPS warehouse and ended up in jail for breaking a collector antique.

WARNING: 

Only ship Monday through Thursday, NOT on Friday or Saturday. 

You don't want the gun sitting on a loading dock over the weekend or on a Holiday, it needs to be moving in transit for less chance of being damaged.  

Not blowing smoke, just a voice of experience with moving firearms around the world. If going out of country, it will be extra work on your part to make sure everything meets what is needed with packing as well paperwork.  

Good Luck.

Back to top Go down
Kicked Back

Male Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2018-11-17

Need a gun box! Empty
PostSubject: gun box   Need a gun box! EmptyDecember 23rd 2018, 3:40 pm

@CoHiCntry wrote:
I had a gun built and need a box for the gunsmith to ship it to me in.  I'm having trouble finding an actual gun box to purchase that's long enough for the gun.  He say's the box needs to be about 64" long as the actual gun length is 53".

I know a bunch of places to look like ski shops, UPS store, gun stores etc, so not looking for ideas of places to try.  Wondering if anyone knows exactly where to purchase a gun box this long?  An actual box designed to ship guns in not just a box big enough.

I was gonna call the Mountain Man store in Manitou Springs this morning and see if he knows where to get one assuming he ships longer guns once in awhile.

Also thought about buying a cheap rifle hard case from Walmart or somewhere like that but they are all 52" or less.  Thanks...
may be late in coming but you may try truck accessory shops, the ones that install. a lot of those products come to them in some HD cardboard box's and large ones(bumpers, bed covers).
Back to top Go down
BigAl52
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
BigAl52

Male Number of posts : 601
Registration date : 2016-02-03

Need a gun box! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a gun box!   Need a gun box! EmptyDecember 26th 2018, 8:56 pm

Buck
Thanks for that shipping knowledge. I need to ship a levergun back to Henry for some warranty work. I have big sheets of cardboard at work I am going to steal your shipping info for a box to ship it in. Al

John Bergmann 50 cal Lancaster
John Bergmann 54 cal Hawken
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down

Need a gun box!
Page 1 of 1