Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

WHAT POWDER CHARGE ARE YOU USING FOR PAPER PUNCHING ???

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2950
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: WHAT POWDER CHARGE ARE YOU USING FOR PAPER PUNCHING ???   November 26th 2018, 10:05 am

SUBJECT: WHAT POWDER CHARGE ARE YOU USING FOR PAPER PUNCHING ??? 

We are talking about loads for these rifles on another posting, this is great to compare notes.  

The 'Frontier Muzzleloading Postal Matches' or any shooting event; what load are you guys shooting?  

With attending Shooting Matches (local, state and National) for over 50 years once in a while you see guys shooting their hunting loads (hot) while most of the shooters are using a reduced load for these events.  

My point is the guys shooting the postal matches may want to consider a reduced charge for shooting paper (don't do anything to your sights - use 'Kentucky Windage' - Hey a new learning experience).  Save powder and wear and tear on you and your equipment.   
scratch   affraid Dunno

Male Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2016-07-20

PostSubject: Re: WHAT POWDER CHARGE ARE YOU USING FOR PAPER PUNCHING ???   November 26th 2018, 1:01 pm

I use 60g of FFG with a .530 PRB in a .54 cal Hawken style T/C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.keystoneironworks.com/
PaulK

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2016-12-07

PostSubject: Re: WHAT POWDER CHARGE ARE YOU USING FOR PAPER PUNCHING ???   November 26th 2018, 4:55 pm

When I'm shooting PRB 25 yds or less I use 70 gr 2F in my Smoothbore .62 cal Fusil. When I get out to 40 yds I bump it up to 90 gr and when I'm 50yds or farther I'm up to 100 gr with the addition of a cushion wad. My .54 Hawken and my .50 cal flintlock shoot well with 60 2F grains out to 50 yds then I bump it up to 90 and 80 grains past 50 yds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike in Oz

Male Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2017-09-22

PostSubject: Re: WHAT POWDER CHARGE ARE YOU USING FOR PAPER PUNCHING ???   November 27th 2018, 6:16 am

I'm using 60 grains of 3F to punt a 50 cal down range out of my flintlock. 

Damn I love that gun......Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RhinoDave

Male Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2017-01-25

PostSubject: Re: WHAT POWDER CHARGE ARE YOU USING FOR PAPER PUNCHING ???   December 4th 2018, 8:09 am

One of these days I'm going to have to get somewhat serious and actually write down  some load data. Back in my hunting days I always used modern rifles and never hunted Muzzleloader season. Since I was on private land with plenty of game, It was never an issue getting meat. I think I'm going to try some lighter loads on the Dec contest. Since I'm usually in the running for last place, I don't think it's going to affect my scores. I know my shoulder will appreciate it.  My general loads are 55 gr in the civil war rifles, 65 gr in my half stock .50s, 70 gr in my .54 , and 55 gr in my .45 cal full stock. 2f in the rifled muskets and 3f in the half and full stocks.

Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: WHAT POWDER CHARGE ARE YOU USING FOR PAPER PUNCHING ???   December 4th 2018, 10:02 am

Rhino you need to take the time and sit down at a shooting range, shoot the gun you like best (one that fits you, has the fastest ignition, ease of loading, etc.). Relax and keep notes of your testing, shoot at 25 and 50 yards (your wanting a good paper punching gun that you like). 

I would do like the old timers did for a starting point, shoot the smaller calibers with 3FFF, larger with 2FF. Whatever the caliber that's your grain measurement, ex. = .45 cal. - 45 grains of 3FFF, .50 cal. - 50 grains of 3FFF or .54 cal. - 54 grains of 2FF and so on (a starting point - then go up and down a few grains from that point in charges). I read this in an article written about shooting at Friendship in 1937 by Jack O'Conner (strange as he was the large caliber cartridge guy in those days). It works ...

Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15691
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: WHAT POWDER CHARGE ARE YOU USING FOR PAPER PUNCHING ???   December 4th 2018, 10:14 am

Same load I shoot for targets and hunting! 70gr 3fg, .020" patch and a .490 round ball. She shoots awesome at 100 yards with this load, it has never missed big game or varmint, it will kill paper just as well and with accuracy if I can do my part.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: WHAT POWDER CHARGE ARE YOU USING FOR PAPER PUNCHING ???   December 4th 2018, 10:25 am

Hey, when you going to shoot your Christmas Match ???   Suspect   bounce   Tease

Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15691
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: WHAT POWDER CHARGE ARE YOU USING FOR PAPER PUNCHING ???   December 4th 2018, 10:28 am

Getting ready to go out now to shoot it. I've been swamped with orders and haven't had the chance to shoot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHAT POWDER CHARGE ARE YOU USING FOR PAPER PUNCHING ???   

Back to top Go down

WHAT POWDER CHARGE ARE YOU USING FOR PAPER PUNCHING ???
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Announcements & Events :: FRONTIER MUZZLELOADING POSTAL MATCHES-
Jump to: