Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Going to do some calling

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16164
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Going to do some calling Empty
PostSubject: Going to do some calling   Going to do some calling EmptyNovember 28th 2018, 12:12 pm

Got back from 3 days in NM with my brother in law and a couple friends. My bro in law got a really nice fox and his friend took a big bobcat. My friends and I struck out, just to windy out where we were hunting.

I got a tree stand set up year round that I never use, so I am going to put it to use in a couple hours!  I borrowed a friends game call so I will give that a try and see if I can call in a coyote out back. I know they are running my area out back, so it would be nice to rid the property of them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1545
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Going to do some calling   Going to do some calling EmptyNovember 28th 2018, 2:15 pm

Get them coyotes.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Going to do some calling   Going to do some calling EmptyNovember 28th 2018, 5:13 pm

Well, I got one but it wasn't a yote!

I was up in my ladder stand, hit the call a couple times with the rabbit in distress, then went to a cat in distress, took a few minutes of rest, then hit the rabbit call again. I saw a flash of bluish fur go by and hurried up and reached down and hit the call button again ( it was on the low sound setting ) and that sucker turned right around and into a very small opening! I put it right behind the shoulder, set the trigger on my Hawken and sent a .490" round ball driven by 90 grains Black MZ right into him. I had ear plugs in due to the call and my already ringing ears I've developed recently, but I heard him let out a screech and wheel around a couple times before racing off.

I got down, reloaded and went to the place where he was standing and found a puff of hair and some bright red blood. Did a big circle, searching through all the thick oak brush and half way around, I found him on the edge of the opening!
Going to do some calling Img_0210
Going to do some calling Img_0211

Last edited by FrontierGander on January 10th 2019, 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1545
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Going to do some calling   Going to do some calling EmptyNovember 28th 2018, 5:25 pm

Good shooting. Congrats on the fox.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Going to do some calling   Going to do some calling EmptyNovember 29th 2018, 11:31 am

Made a couple hide stretching boards, then fleshed a lot of the fat and meat off the skin before soaking it in salt water to wash the blood out of the hide and fur. Im not going to an it, just stretch it, salt it and let it harden for a wall decoration.
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1771
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Going to do some calling   Going to do some calling EmptyNovember 29th 2018, 11:54 am

Congratulations, Jon. He is beautiful

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
RhinoDave

RhinoDave

Male Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2017-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Going to do some calling   Going to do some calling EmptyNovember 29th 2018, 12:00 pm

Maybe for the next one Jon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TPLqjh8D5w

Going to do some calling
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Predator Hunting - Trapping-
Jump to: