Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Barrel swap

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Coalforge

Coalforge

Male Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2016-07-20

Barrel swap Empty
PostSubject: Barrel swap   Barrel swap EmptyDecember 3rd 2018, 8:40 pm

2 questions on barrel swaps:

Is there a standard for hooked breech barrels?  Would a Traditions fit a Thompson fit a CVA etc? 

How about between different caliber barrels of the same manufacturer if the outside dimension is the same?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keystoneironworks.com/
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Barrel swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barrel swap   Barrel swap EmptyDecember 3rd 2018, 9:53 pm

traditions/cva most times will fit, but the tenon normally has to be recut and placed in the proper spot for the wedge key.
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2018-06-08

Barrel swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barrel swap   Barrel swap EmptyDecember 4th 2018, 7:33 am

The hook is often of a slightly different diameter. That is even among same brand. You need to either file the hook to fit the tang or open the tang to fit the hook. I agree with FG that the tenion is often in the wrong place so you need to cut a dovetail and move it. Then there is tenion size - they can be anything from 1/2" to a full 1".  On an older CVA, the angle from the hammer to the nipple is somewhat different than on the T/C. If you do fit a barrel from one company and intend to use the lock from the other, you may have to change the geometry somewhat. I am not sure of flintlocks in that regard.
Back to top Go down
RhinoDave

RhinoDave

Male Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Barrel swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barrel swap   Barrel swap EmptyDecember 4th 2018, 7:42 am

Assuming you are talking about a straight up drop in with zero modifications. 
Q#1 No 
Q#2 Usually Same Manufacturer and same model will be the same between cal. 45 to 54. Some exceptions like TC Hawken going from .50 to .54 barrel changes from 15/16 to 1"  Investarms Hawken barrel has the same ouside dim from .45 to .58 cal.

Regarding Q #1 The closest I've seen for interchangability are between TC and Investarms Hawkens. With some slight modifications, they can be made to interchange. I currently have an Investarms stock with a TC barrel mounted.

Barrel swap
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: