Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Coalforge

Coalforge

Male Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2016-07-20

Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel Empty
PostSubject: Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel   Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel Empty2018-12-08, 11:19

I see lots of info on cleaning the smokepoles but one thing I have not seen discussed was a pinned barrel. All the weapons I had were hooked breech. I would pump water through them to be sure and get the channel in the breech clean.  What is the best way to get that channel clean if you don't remove the barrel? I have tried removing the nipple and using a pipe cleaner but I don't know if that is getting everything.  Any suggestions are appreciated.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keystoneironworks.com/
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3488
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel   Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel Empty2018-12-09, 12:08

@strong eagle wrote:
just clean it the best you can then blow out the breech with primers. then clean with a almost dry slightly oiled rag, maybe wd40 instead of oil.

Do as suggested, only you may want to change from WD40 (has bad reviews by police department for years, when used around ammo). Great product that will penetrate as designed but neutralizes primers.  Mad    Crying or Very sad   Rolling Eyes  Always protect the finish on stock and metal.

Back to top Go down
Mofish

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2018-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel   Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel Empty2018-12-10, 05:40

I just clean the channels with a pipe cleaner dipped in my solvent/patch lube mix that I have been using for years. After I can't see any black coming out on the pipe cleaners anymore, I dip one in Bore Butter and leave some of it in the channel. I always fire a couple caps before loading it again and have never had a problem as the caps blow any residue out of the channel and you're good to go.
Back to top Go down
Vincem
Forum
Forum
Vincem

Male Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2016-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel   Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel Empty2018-12-10, 07:44

I know someone using one of the flush nipples from Track. Might be worth trying. I tried to attach a link but it didn't work.

Here you go.....
Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel Flash-gd-un-b_0

Mike in Oz

Mike in Oz

Male Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2017-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel   Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel Empty2018-12-10, 17:40

I have a pedersoli flintlock and its designed to be able to unscrew the flash hole section and screw in a nipple with a long tube attached.

Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXo6REV4QIkX19EwCZbVM9CxBdfTLdZ1WjVr2Y_NXunOjama-A2VRmPrDn

Works a treat. Smile
Back to top Go down
Old No7

Old No7

Male Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2018-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel   Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel Empty2018-12-13, 14:50

@Mike in Oz wrote:
I have a pedersoli flintlock and its designed to be able to unscrew the flash hole section and screw in a nipple with a long tube attached...

I don't think the Touch Hole Liners on flintlocks are supposed to be removed all that often...

I was always told they're screwed in once and taken out -- "never" -- but not repeatedly taken out & put in.

It's never happened to me, but on other BP Forums I've read where the threads were damaged/worn enough by all the removals and re-insertions that eventually the liner BLEW OFF the side of the barrel...

I wouldn't chance it myself...

But we'll see what others may say.

Old No7

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3488
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel   Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel Empty2018-12-13, 16:57

@Old No7 wrote:
@Mike in Oz wrote:
I have a pedersoli flintlock and its designed to be able to unscrew the flash hole section and screw in a nipple with a long tube attached...

I've read where the threads were damaged/worn enough by all the removals and re-insertions that eventually the liner BLEW OFF the side of the barrel...

I wouldn't chance it myself...   Old No7

When still buying muzzleloaders to resell, that was always one of the things we looked at on flint guns. When one let's go its like the old saying "a flash in the pan" in this case the guy next to you saw what that flash was when the vent hole liner went in front of him. 

Use to see well used muskets from the Civil War where the vent hole had a drum and nipple installed some had a larger bolt installed then redrilled to take the drum (must have been really worn).

Back to top Go down
burlesontom

Male Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2018-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel   Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel Empty2018-12-14, 19:30

@Vincem wrote:
I know someone using one of the flush nipples from Track. Might be worth trying. I tried to attach a link but it didn't work.

Here you go.....
Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel Flash-gd-un-b_0
 I think that is actually a flash guard for a FL to keep the hot gases from the touch hole from blasting the fellow next to you when your flinter fires.

On my new to me Pedersoli Scout rifle I used a piece of clear plastic tubing on the nipple and ran it into an old cooler with hot water in it. But first I put a funnel in the barrel and poured hot water through the barrel slowly so I didn't overfill it and let it drain into the cooler. Then I just used a wet patch on the jag to wipe the bore good. If I had of pumped the water up and down I am certain I would have pumped some out the end of the barrel and down into the wood stock.

I then plugged the nipple hole and filled the barrel with hot water and let it set for a few minutes and then drained, dried and oiled the bore. I also removed the nipple and clean out screw and dried and oiled those. So far so good.

To fill the barrel I used one of the plastic dippers that comes in a can of Gatorade powdered mix so I could find out how much my barrel would hold. My barrel will hold one and a half dippers. Of course I used a small funnel in the end of the barrel to fill it.

With a FL I would just plug the flash hole and fill the barrel. dump and fill again with hot water then a few damp atches and dry then oil.
Back to top Go down
Vincem
Forum
Forum
Vincem

Male Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2016-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel   Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel Empty2018-12-14, 20:12

[url=file:///Users/Vince/Downloads/Flush Nipple, 6-1mm thread for Spanish rifles, stainless steel, 1:4" square shank for nipple wrench,.webarchive]Flush Nipple, 6-1mm thread for Spanish rifles, stainless steel, 1:4" square shank for nipple wrench,.webarchive[/url]

This flush nipple is what I was referring to. Same or similar to what you are using. Not sure where the flash guard came from, I didn't post it?

bronko22000

Male Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2016-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel   Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel Empty2018-12-15, 08:21

Flash hole liners not to be removed! That I believe is hogwash.  I've been shooting muzzleloaders since the early 70s and have always removed my flash hole liner for cleaning.  If you have the correct threads on your liner and install it correctly there is nothing wrong with removing it for cleaning and reinstalling.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16344
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel   Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel Empty2018-12-15, 10:06

I always remove them. I also wrap the threads in white plumbers tape for easy removal.
Back to top Go down

Cleaning a rifle with a pinned barrel
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: