Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

So excited!!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3406
Registration date : 2015-10-20

So excited!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So excited!!   So excited!! - Page 2 EmptySat 5 Jan - 17:12

Jonathan that puppy has some drop, repair it and see how it shoots. Who knows, could be fun to play with ...  Dunno

Back to top Go down
R. Boone

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2018-07-19

PostSubject: Re: So excited!!   So excited!! - Page 2 EmptySun 6 Jan - 21:59

Don't know how much cutting an smoothing you need to do but at times when I have needed to knock some rust out of the inside of a barrel, I have used a piece of wooden dowel cut a slot in the end an inserted a piece of sandpaper in the slot put that end in the barrel, chuck the other end in a electric drill an sand away.
Back to top Go down
fred45

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-12-18

PostSubject: sand paper   So excited!! - Page 2 EmptyTue 8 Jan - 16:52

I got a Traditions 50 cal hawkens from a pawn shop for $50, the guy said "it needs some love" stripped it down cleaned up the stock where it sat next to the heater and charred the stock, there was a ball STUCK about 1/3 the way up the bore, $7 at harbor freight got a 48" X 3/8" drill drilled out the ball, way jacked up bore down there. I used the sand paper on a stick on a hand drill to grind it down, took it to a 54 cal smoothie. that system works great. if yo need a less aggressive grit you can wrap steel wool on a cleaning jag or a straight coat hanger, that is what I am polishing mine with now.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: So excited!!   So excited!! - Page 2 EmptyWed 23 Jan - 20:15

Well sob! I had the side plate off and was doing a little inletting for practice and when I flipped the plate over stamping into the brass was: Stock Made 7-18-71 ( I would easily assume 1971 ) Geo. Shoaf.

Now on this sideplate theres original stamp work thats faint.... Tryon
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: So excited!!   So excited!! - Page 2 EmptyWed 23 Jan - 23:54

Edw. K. Tryon Co. of Philadelphia Pennsylvania sold rifles and shotguns - retail. Note "retail" not manufactured most of his stuff from early on came from London or Belgium all imported by Edw. K. Tryon and later his sons. If you remove the forearm, then push the top lever to the side and separate the barrels from the frame. Inspect the underside of the barrel/barrels and the frame water table to see if any proof mark or maker's mark (or in some cases a customer’s name) stamped there. If made in Belgium, the letters ELG will be stamped on the barrel/barrels or frame. If there are no proof marks, chances are it was made in the United States, by another company for Edw. K. Tryon. 

So excited!! - Page 2 321892075

So excited!! - Page 2 Download

So excited!! - Page 2 Download-1

This firm is still in business today still retailing as well as supplying power outdoor equipment to businesses dealing with lawn mowers, trimmer to snow removable equipment to a large hardware business. 

When still in that business we would be in their warehouse several times a month year round picking up supplies.  Tryon was a major player in the settling of the west, the westward movement right up to today, same firm different goods.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: So excited!!   So excited!! - Page 2 EmptyThu 24 Jan - 0:04

Buck this is the single barrel 12ga. Not the double barrel. Barrel has zero markings.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: So excited!!   So excited!! - Page 2 EmptyThu 24 Jan - 0:11

They made both, many of the single barrel shotguns were referred to as farm guns, usually used by a farmer and his family to kill anything that would harm their livestock.  The date you mentioned 1971 is 1871 Jonathan back east in the 1960's every shop that handled firearms had cracker barrels full of these old shotguns.  I have to look in my files probably have a few pictures of them from that time period, if you didn't have much money you could buy one of these old shotguns (cartridge type) with a box of low brass shells for $15 - $20 bucks.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: So excited!!   So excited!! - Page 2 EmptyThu 24 Jan - 0:49

I dont think it was restocked in 1871. The ramrod is only 30" long and does not enter into the stock, they kind of just mocked it up. They installed the stock to deeply and ran out of the room for the ramrod to actually go under the barrel. In the 1870s this would have still been in use. Most likely a restock so whoever could sell it off easier as a wall hanger.

I've been looking at pre carved stocks tonight, just not sure how deep i want to go into it. Inletting the sideplate alone has worn me out badly.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: So excited!!   So excited!! - Page 2 EmptyThu 24 Jan - 0:56

You can see where they stopped with the ramrod, a good 13" short of what it needs to be.
So excited!! - Page 2 100_3016
So excited!! - Page 2 100_3018
So excited!! - Page 2 100_3017
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: So excited!!   So excited!! - Page 2 EmptyFri 25 Jan - 13:22

Who restocked it looks like they didn't have a long drill bit to do it correctly?

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: So excited!!   So excited!! - Page 2 EmptyFri 25 Jan - 14:01

could be, but had they drilled any deeper, they would have hit the barrel tenon.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: So excited!!   So excited!! - Page 2 EmptyTue 29 Jan - 19:41

Got into the shop today and sprayed a ton of PB Blast penetrating oil down the bore after plugging up the nipple hole with modeling clay. Its holding a good seal so maybe in the next 2 or 3 days I will give it a try and see if the nipple comes out. If not, A little heat from a propane torch and then more penetrating oil to soak in.
Back to top Go down

So excited!!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: