Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

help me choose a caliber.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2018-06-08

help me choose a caliber. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help me choose a caliber.   help me choose a caliber. EmptyJanuary 1st 2019, 8:45 am

If you intend to shoot out to 100-yards I don't think you can do better than .45 caliber. In my experience, the smaller calibers are more difficult to obtain consistent accuracy with at 100-yards, largely due to the wind.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3448
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: help me choose a caliber.   help me choose a caliber. EmptyJanuary 1st 2019, 10:17 am

I have shot a lot of deer at 50 to 60 yards with a .36 cal. with no issues, so a .45 cal. should be fine for 100 yards.

Back to top Go down
azal

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2018-07-29

PostSubject: Re: help me choose a caliber.   help me choose a caliber. EmptyJanuary 10th 2019, 9:40 am

Green Mountain Barrel has some 40 cal. made from 4140 steel single point cut for target barrels. I bought one for my next build but as I'm way behind it will be a long time before I can tell You how they shoot.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16318
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: help me choose a caliber.   help me choose a caliber. EmptyJanuary 10th 2019, 11:13 am

A 36cal is a lot of fun! Used to pop rabbits with one i built so long ago. One clean shot and it would turn them inside out and you'd just have to use the butt end of your knife the finish the cleaning.
Back to top Go down
Hilljack

Hilljack

Male Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2014-04-03

PostSubject: Re: help me choose a caliber.   help me choose a caliber. EmptyJanuary 10th 2019, 4:20 pm

if you are going to punch paper the 40 cal has made many of National records and won many a contest it does well on consistency....Have killed many of deer and hog also....and a 45 cal is not bad either....I have barrels by Green Mountain, Colrain and Oregon Barrel Works the all work great....The choice is a personal thing but above all have fun.....

Hilljack
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 456
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Re: help me choose a caliber.   help me choose a caliber. EmptyJanuary 12th 2019, 6:23 am

I am doing the same thing as far as a Fun Bench Gun, me being a bullet guy i went that direction, I had a New Fast 1:15 Twist 32” .36 Cal Barrel built by Jim Carpenter, He has my Barrel done, but hasn’t received the New Breech Plug for it yet. Since this is a Traditional sub forum I won’t continue on with details here about it. 

.36 Cal Roundball is a lot of fun to shoot! I have 2 little .36 Caliber TC Seneca’s, Sadly both of them have Rough bores from their previous owners, But both stil have good strong rifling all the way through, and shoot Patched Roundball VERY well. If i were to build a New Roundball barrel i would Seriously look in to a .40 Caliber
Back to top Go down
BigAl52
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
BigAl52

Male Number of posts : 607
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: help me choose a caliber.   help me choose a caliber. EmptyJanuary 12th 2019, 8:44 am

I have a 40 cal Hawken Squirrel rifle that is just pure fun to shoot. Its like the others have said very accurate. One of the other guys I shoot with had one and let me shoot his. After that I had to have one. Built by John Bergmann. Took about 8 months to get it but it was well worth it

John Bergmann 50 cal Lancaster
John Bergmann 54 cal Hawken
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
Mofish

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2018-07-25

PostSubject: Re: help me choose a caliber.   help me choose a caliber. EmptyJanuary 13th 2019, 3:23 am

Good choice...the .40's are a very good caliber for a bench gun.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: help me choose a caliber.   help me choose a caliber. EmptyJanuary 13th 2019, 10:31 am

Both .36 and .40 calibers are great choices, .32 for me are harder to load because of their size. I have hunted illegally with a .36 caliber for mule deer and legally for the same game with a .40 caliber, both kill the same. All about shot placement and you make sure of that shot, you don't waste the only chance you may get if not done correctly.

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: help me choose a caliber.   help me choose a caliber. EmptyJanuary 13th 2019, 10:57 am

So true, low cost to shoot and no recoil to talk about.  I'm thinking the same as you.

Back to top Go down

help me choose a caliber.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: