Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Share | 

my wife got her dna test back.

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
strong eagle

Number of posts : 852
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: my wife got her dna test back.   January 6th 2019, 9:45 am

she is 1/2 viking like i am. has about the same amount of french blood as i but the rest is from all over the place. much more varied than my dna. her dads family tree really got around. she had listed about 400 relatives from around the world she is related to that have done the same test. i have about 1000 relatives from around the world that have done the test im related to. the ones that are from the united states show some native american blood in my dna. none in hers. it is the french candian blood that has the native american blood that is apart of my family tree. i have a lot of hungarian  southern polish blood my wife doesnt have. it is very possible my wife and i are related way back on our nordic side. many family names are the same. this post wont be interesting to those who do not care about family tree, but to those who do i encourage you to take the test. you can fine tune who you are. we had fun at our house with it.
Back to top Go down
steady eddie

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2017-09-09

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 7th 2019, 2:31 pm

so you are the father
Back to top Go down
Shifty

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-11-24

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 7th 2019, 3:31 pm

I would be afraid of what i may find out!
Back to top Go down
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1500
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 8th 2019, 12:27 pm

Thanks Strong Eagle.

Recently had my DNA ran i'm 100 percent European. Switzerland and Germany 59 percent, British and Irish 27 percent, broadly NW European 10 percent. There's a smattering of Iberian and Scandinavian.

Many years ago i got involved in family history and genealogy. The family whose name i bear came from Ketelshagen, Island Rugen, formerly Denmark. Island Rugen is now part of Germany.

Some in my family, including myself, have an inherited condition called Dupuytren's contracture that is rather common to families from northern Europe. The fingers and hands become crooked and contracted. At almost 80 years old my right hand is becoming a claw. When he passed away at age 96, my uncle could hardly hold a coffee cup.

Back to top Go down
strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 8th 2019, 3:05 pm

north western europe blood is mosty normandy france and a little east of their. iberian is spanish and spain. thanks for your input. many find this interesting but some dont want to know or dont care. i think out ancestry can affect our health as you stated but also how we react to stiuations and life about us.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

Number of posts : 5853
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 9th 2019, 10:27 am

My daughter made me spit in the tube and now I find out that I'm almost 1/4th Lithuanian along with Scottish, Irish, Swedish and Norwegian. 
My grandmother said her maiden name was Doyle. It turns out it was really Rastkauskis. Quite a difference. My brother thought he was 1/2 Irish even went to Ireland 6 or 8 times. I guess he'll have to go to Lithuania from now on.  Laughing

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 15792
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 9th 2019, 10:46 am

Great! Now the can trace you to any unsolved crimes/murders tongue

German/Polish, good enough for me without giving my spit away for them to keep on file.
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 9th 2019, 11:32 am

I sent in my mother's dna several years ago; she has died since.  I'm still getting names of relatives posted on her match.  ALL of them are from either Norway, Sweden or Finland.  Who'd have thought?

My own DNA showed me to be about 60% English - father's side gave me that.  About 1/5th Scandinavian with the remaining 20% divided among some others.  5% was Neanderthal.  I'll need to ask for a more detailed analysis in order for my Klingon dna to show up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.martialartsusa.com
strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 10th 2019, 9:34 am

very very interesting, thanks
Back to top Go down
skoger

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2015-09-30

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 10th 2019, 3:07 pm

Hey Roger, the wife and I just die 23 and Me like you said, we are waiting on the results, what we got each other for Christmas! I know I have some strong German on my dads side, and scotch, irish, dutch and Cherokee on my mothers side, in othe words I am a Mutt! LOL!
Back to top Go down
skoger

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2015-09-30

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 10th 2019, 3:07 pm

Hey Roger, the wife and I just die 23 and Me like you said, we are waiting on the results, what we got each other for Christmas! I know I have some strong German on my dads side, and scotch, irish, dutch and Cherokee on my mothers side, in othe words I am a Mutt! LOL!
Back to top Go down
strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 10th 2019, 4:10 pm

sam, this is what most people find out, it is way different than family history passes down. im very excited to find out what you and your wife are.my wife found she had a black african ancester that was about 2000 years ago. those norwiegens  sure got around as it was on her nordic side. i my self came up with native american blood as well as mongol asian blood. we always thought we had a lot of german blood but i have none at all. sam let me know you twos result when you get them back.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Male Number of posts : 3433
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 11th 2019, 4:17 pm

Eastern European DNA for me.  Slovakia, Poland and Lithuania.
Back to top Go down
strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 12th 2019, 7:57 am

my mothers family always said they were german and french and native. they were right about the french and native but not about the german. have no german blood at all what was thought to be german was what you are east european. very hardy strong people. my grandmother didnt start turning grey in her hair until she was 75 years old. lived to be almost 100 years old. her brothers lived to 100 or more, they were big strong men all their lives and they were 100 percent east european. thanks for your input.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Male Number of posts : 3433
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 12th 2019, 2:24 pm

@strong eagle wrote:
my mothers family always said they were german and french and native. they were right about the french and native but not about the german. have no german blood at all what was thought to be german was what you are east european. very hardy strong people. my grandmother didnt start turning grey in her hair until she was 75 years old. lived to be almost 100 years old. her brothers lived to 100 or more, they were big strong men all their lives and they were 100 percent east european. thanks for your input.
You are right-on strong eagle on longevity with Eastern Europeans.  My grandmother lived to be 101.
Back to top Go down
WASATCH CHARLIE

Male Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2018-04-22

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 13th 2019, 7:22 pm

This is why I have ALWAYS admired the United States!!!
  everyone is  AMERICAN, with this and that mixed in !!!!!!!

up here,north of the 49th. , seems  over the last 40 years or so everyone is  from somewhere else and  just LIVES in CANADA.
 I won't go off on a rant on this subject.
Back to top Go down
strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 13th 2019, 8:25 pm

i agree about being mixed. it makes us american different than most of the rest of the world. we are very mixed.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 14th 2019, 5:36 am

Now we can change his name from 'strong eagle' to "Eric the Eagle" and now he can use the term 'uffda' (shit happens) in Norwegian.   Smile

Strong Eagle and myself have fun hitting each other from time to time, he's the kind of guy that can take it or push back like I'm sure he may do, right bud. He has helped a lot of the members here with his knowledge on health, we thank you.

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 14th 2019, 6:12 am

you have no idea how many times i have heard the word uffta when i was growing up. their is another word a lot of rural n. dakota people use also. hola. it isnt spanish it is cree. it means a triple wow, the biggest wow you can muster. also the old timers when i was young said a lot of ya sure you betcha. i was raised to the second grade in a norwegian county. when we went to town once a week only norwegian was spoke on the street. i want to tell you about us 5 little boys who run around that norwegian town when we were little. they were all norwegian but me. i was the dark one. im abot 1/2 and the other have makes me look different. their again were 5 of us. one grew up to be mayor of fargo n.dak. one grew up and become a war hero big time. after he recovered from all his wounds he bocome a aide in the white house untill the second george bush and then he retired. the 3rd was my cousin and he become a very good rancher and still helps out his two sons on the ranch. i become a registered nurse. and the fifth did nothing. married a women who took care of him all his life and he never held a job or turned a lick. 4 out of 5 isnt bad. we ate norwegian breakfasts dinners and suppers. ate a lot of sour cream and dried cod. still like them. over the years ive learned a lot of norwegian, some cree, some sioux, and amd still learning french and getting pretty good at it. or pretty goot as a old norwegiasn would say. how many norwegians does it take to change a overhead light bulb. 4, one to hold the bulb and 4 to turn him. i have a lot of norwegian jokes, they laugh at them selves a lot. swedes are thin skinned, finns are the toughest people on the face of the earth and norwegians are very tolerant and tough if the situation call for it. my late uncle told me once, i can assure you roger their is no swede blood in our family. anyother kind of blood was ok but swede wasnt. it was funny about that his wife, my aunt was 1/2 swede and 1/2 finn. well off to the gym, got to keep the blood moving about my body.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 14th 2019, 8:28 am

I hear you had a couple of very good friends, both from Norway and spoke the Dano-Norwegian koiné language when they wanted to say something that you were not to know about. Like you say, they were fair skinned and blondes (my only relief was "blondes jokes") which would get them going. We did everything together for over 50 years, one died from cigars a few years ago (cancer) the other has serious medical problems. I keep in touch with him once a week as he's on a walker and carrying an oxygen bottle, sad deal and still young at 60. He lives in eastern Colorado alone so other than calling him we can't help him like we would like too.

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 14th 2019, 11:42 am

thanks buck for your input. want to post a saying my norwegian grand father taught me. 10,000 swedes went through the weeds in the battle of copenhagen. 10,000 swedes went through the weeds chased by one wild and mad norwegian. i can remember my norwegian grandfather saying when my little sister as a todler walked by mom, thrix in the booksa. which means shit in the diaper. change it. he had one arm and a stub on the other . lost that arm im a corn picker. he had a hook on that arm. when he had a few beers at the local pub, any one who got smart with him got the hook in the face. they left him alone. he would drive fast and had many a close calls with the car he drove. he would always say, never mind a miss of a inch is as good as a mile. he never used credit and always paid cash. drove a new ford every year back in the old days. he was quite a man until the cancer got him. my grandmother was a red haired saami norwigian which is the asian slat eyed northern people. asian and viking mix. they lived in tepees like the sioux. and are related to them. they are a short slant eyed people with red and blond hair. tough as nails and can survive most anys where better than most. my grand father is closely related to james arness of the gun smoke fame. james and i  great grand fathers were cousins. the name was urness, james change his name to arness for holly wood pr. my great grand father changed his name to johnson fo reasons i dont know. james was a lot more nordic looking than i ever was. hes tall, im short and olive skinned. we are kin though.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 14th 2019, 12:20 pm

strong eagle we all have great family stories to remember, the problem is most don't put down what they know. Once another relation tries to tell what you know as correct gets enhanced. That old relation that was a "chamber maid" in the 1700's has now been referred to as a "Queen" in her native land. If the truth was know she may have cleaned up after a Queen.

I have found so much crap that my mother and her mother wrote that's 'word of mouth' which is a fairy tale without documentation. I told them that and they just look at me like "what the hell is he talking about".  I really would get upset with these two when still alive and other family members with like tales.

Bottom line - put everything down you know, then do some research to prove what you wrote, family Bibles, journals, tax records, deeds and so on are good resources. Don't put it off, down the road your family will thank you for your efforts.

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 14th 2019, 1:21 pm

i did that with the help of my second cousin. we went back to normandy france and a church perish. also on the hungarian side we went back to the name of therchen. which is a very common name of that country. as to the native american blood it is french canadian and french and of the cree tribe. the norwegian is both south norwegian and sammi of the northern part. i also have asian blood from attilia the hun what was a a west korean mongol. that is where my b positive blood come in to me. i am really mixed as most americans are and that is who we are and proud of it. my wife is finn swede and norwegian, french and german, spanish jew and italian. WOW, what a mixture. she looks more swede that anything else. she has the temperment of a stiff necked swede. she has a minor in music and can play jesus loves me like motzart would, that come from her french german blood. she is the decendant from the first assistant to the first composer to kathryn the great of russia. when she got out of college they wanted to be a proffesional piano person but she chose medicine. if you should attend our methodist church when she is at the piano you would understand how professional she is at that. i still cant believe how she can do what she can do at the key board but she does it sunday after sunday. i have never ever heard any one who can play the piano like she can. it would make you cry with happiness. as for me, i can only do like grandpa jones on the 5 string banjo. sure makes the grandchildren dance. makes me happy also.
Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 14th 2019, 3:44 pm

My dna is about 60% Brit with 20% Scandinavian.  I don't know much at all about my ancestry.  My wife is a geneologist but has not spent as much time on my ancesters except enough to find they came to Viginia in the 1700s.  I'm still studing conversational English.  study 

I'm pretty sure I'm not decended from anyone famous or a historical figure; just those that got hanged for witches and poaching.
Back to top Go down
http://www.martialartsusa.com
strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: my wife got her dna test back.   January 14th 2019, 4:15 pm

in the eastern n.dak my polish hungarian cousins did a lot of bad deeds. theft and sexual felonys. cant deny it, some were very bad ass holes. we all have good cousins and bad cousins. life gives us roads to go on, we can make good or bad roads, some of my kin went on bad roads. most chose good roads. i have one daughter who left the family and wont connect with the rest of us. 2 of her kids, my grandsons who i know nothing about have had law problems. i have no idea who they are or even their names. it is the way life is. i figure 6 kids out of 7 turned out very very good is a good average. i dont even know the names of her kids or who they are but the track record her family is unknown to me. she remained close to her mother who has many problems and went for the money in many men. her mother ended up with a very rich guy whose mind went south and now she complains that the unit he is in is taking all the money she got out of him. my daughter put her saddle on the wrong horse. if she ever comes to me i wont say anything but i love you. again 6 out 7 children isnt bad.
Back to top Go down

my wife got her dna test back.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: The Hunting Lodge :: Off Topic-Hunting Lodge-
Jump to: