Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

This evenings action from the tree stand.

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16164
Registration date : 2008-05-19

This evenings action from the tree stand. Empty
PostSubject: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 10th 2019, 7:02 pm

7 minutes and 25 seconds into the call, this little fox comes trotting up the shooting range trail.

He stood about 3 feet from the pheasant feather "decoy" that was fluttering in the light wind. I popped him through the neck which traveled into the chest and exited the lung. Fox made it 30 yards.

I skinned him almost perfectly! 1 tiny hole by the eye and 1 even smaller by the nose. SUPER happy! Just washed the hide and fur in a little dawn dish soap water and about to run out and wash him out before drying the fur and stretching him.

Took the fox with an old Remington model 514 .22 - open sights and a 33gr Remington Yellow Jacket HP bullet. Theres still one more fox left to get! 10 minutes later I was back out there calling when another fox starting an odd sound. Turns out it was the "gather up " sound they make to bring in other foxes.
This evenings action from the tree stand. 100_2916
This evenings action from the tree stand. 100_2917
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3654
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 10th 2019, 8:11 pm

cheers ...Having called-in fox before myself that must have been very exciting!
Winter calling is an awesome way to enjoy the outdoors during the off-season :rtup
My  Marlin .22 Magnum with hollow-points was enough to put fox down while still kind to the pelt.
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1545
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 10th 2019, 8:35 pm

Good shot on the fox.

Used to hunt and trap foxes in West Virginia. Foxes are very rare here in SW OK: Too many coyotes.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 11th 2019, 1:45 am

Thanks gents. Its a thrill when they come in. Wish I had done this years ago!

Washed the pelt with a little dawn dish soap and got all the blood and fox stink out of it. Tomorrow I will flesh it and put it on the drying board.

Also have to sight in the Henry .22 survival rifle. I have a simple 4x scope on it. I'd like to try some head shots since they are so close.
Back to top Go down
CoHiCntry
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
CoHiCntry

Male Number of posts : 312
Registration date : 2013-10-01

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 11th 2019, 9:49 am

Interesting you’re predator hunting from a tree stand. That might be more common back east but can honestly say I’ve never heard of anyone doing it out west. Sounds like fun!  What are you using to call with?  Any plans for the pelt?

FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 11th 2019, 7:11 pm

I use a foxpro inferno. Because im hunting in the back yard, openings are scare and the ladder stand gets me up over the cedars and pinon trees where i can see my shooting range and other smaller cuts ive put in over the years.

Pelts I will eventually hang on the wall. Just make a nice collection of them.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 12th 2019, 8:59 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
I use a foxpro inferno. Because im hunting in the back yard, openings are scare and the ladder stand gets me up over the cedars and pinon trees where i can see my shooting range and other smaller cuts ive put in over the years.

Pelts I will eventually hang on the wall. Just make a nice collection of them.
They've come a long way in electronic calls since my earlier days.  Back then we would tote bulky operated cassette players with 100 feet of wire to an external speaker horn.  

What prey sound did you select in your FOOXPRO Question
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 12th 2019, 9:09 am

Adult cottontail. It has 75 preloaded sounds plus you can load more. Getting ready to go up in the stand. It snowed all day yesterday.
Back to top Go down
CoHiCntry
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
CoHiCntry

Male Number of posts : 312
Registration date : 2013-10-01

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 12th 2019, 9:28 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
Adult cottontail. It has 75 preloaded sounds plus you can load more. Getting ready to go up in the stand. It snowed all day yesterday.

Good luck!  I live at 8500 feet and we have gotten a lot of snow the last 24+ hours.

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 12th 2019, 11:25 am

Awesome job on the Fox! They sure are a neat looking creature! I wish we had them around here, i would enjoy hunting them! I have been playing around with Coyote calling here, i have a Foxpro game caller as well, mine is the Wildfire 2, i bought mine from Allpredatorcalls.com and had them preload the most popular sounds on it for me, for Coyote and Wolf. These things Work AWESOME in the right setup!!
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 12th 2019, 10:49 pm

My friend and I went out early this morning and notta! It was snowing lightly and was a heavy wet snow. 12" in most places out back, so I wasn't to surprised that nothing came in. Maybe tomorrow it the snow stops I will get lucky again.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 13th 2019, 1:47 pm

Dunno ...Lots of reasons why notta, but I wouldn't imagine sound traveling as well when its snowing either.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 13th 2019, 11:26 pm

That's a good point about the sound travel. If its nice tomorrow, I plan on going out again. Today was another snowy day, not much, just didn't feel like sitting out in the flurries lol.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3305
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 14th 2019, 6:01 am

Jonathan you may want to remove the word Trapping on this topic title because of this, something to ponder ....

Trapping is legal in Colorado, though voters approved a constitutional amendment in 1996 that made leg-hold or gripping traps illegal. Live trapping is legal under the state's furbearer regulations for small game, and once an animal is trapped, it must be euthanized, says Randy Hampton of Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

This evenings action from the tree stand. Img2

Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 14th 2019, 9:25 am

Awesome idea FG...Thanks for adding this forum!
Buck does have a point about trapping, as I personally don't consider this a "sport" having trapped myself in the past with both leg-hold and conibear traps. 
Many of us varmint hunt as well to keep our shooting skills up.  Since all predators are not varmints and vice-versa, what do you guys think about the name PREDATOR-VARMINT HUNTING Forum Question
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3305
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 14th 2019, 10:30 am

Much better Marty, good choice of words.  t up

This evenings action from the tree stand. Img2

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 14th 2019, 12:17 pm

I not removing a thing. There are many other states that allows trapping, Colorado is one of them. All states have their rules and regulations that we follow. I never said I trapped this fox so why would I remove trapping from the forum? Its for predator hunting AND trapping use. I don't want to take up more space on the forum with something that's not going to get used an entire lot.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 14th 2019, 9:40 pm

Well fudge! I gave him a salt bath today and a couple hours later, i went and started fleshing him real good. Rung him out, washed him with some nice smelling anti shed shampoo. Took him inside and was washing him out and noticed he had a huge bald spot on his head.... Mad

The hair was slipping all over and very easily.

Last time I do that! From now on, flesh right away, luke warm salt water bath, stretch on board, leave it alone!

live and learn.
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 18th 2019, 10:12 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
Well fudge! I gave him a salt bath today and a couple hours later, i went and started fleshing him real good. Rung him out, washed him with some nice smelling anti shed shampoo. Took him inside and was washing him out and noticed he had a huge bald spot on his head.... Mad

The hair was slipping all over and very easily.

Last time I do that! From now on, flesh right away, luke warm salt water bath, stretch on board, leave it alone!

live and learn.

Bummer on the Hair Slip!! Hard to judge size by photo, How big are these Gray Foxes? How much would a Large one weigh? They sure are a neat Looking critter! That Tail!!
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 18th 2019, 1:00 pm

My first one was a good 15+ lbs, very heavy. This other one was maybe 10lbs at most, pretty skinny little runt.
Back to top Go down
dbowling

Male Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2014-01-22

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 18th 2019, 1:32 pm

If your going to keep them to flesh for awhile roll up and put in plastic bag and put in a very cold refrigerator, cant keep furs stored in room temps or even cooler temps for long as hair slips easily..
 you can even roll up and put in freezer until ready to do it.. trapped for 20 yrs when I was younger and used to store my furs in freezer until ready to sell to buyer who didnt like them stretched.
Back to top Go down
dbowling

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 18th 2019, 1:34 pm

if you want to get them to come in consistently get a cat or kitten in distress recording put on your call, when they wouldn't come to anything else Ive killed a bunch of coyotes/foxes with that call, they like to eat kittys easier to catch then a rabbit.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 18th 2019, 1:38 pm

I'll have to look into that and put it on the card.
Back to top Go down
dbowling

PostSubject: Re: This evenings action from the tree stand.   This evenings action from the tree stand. EmptyJanuary 18th 2019, 1:54 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
I'll have to look into that and put it on the card.

I found that when calling coyotes the louder you play the cat distress the better, play for a minute real loud then go to 1/3 volume for 5 minutes then mute for 2-3 minutes or longer then start over.
With fox usually med loud and continuous sound works, especially greys as they are very aggressive.
Back to top Go down

This evenings action from the tree stand.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Predator Hunting - Trapping-
Jump to: