Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance

Go down 
AuthorMessage
flashpoint

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2019-01-12

Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance   Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance EmptyJanuary 12th 2019, 1:56 pm

Hello everyone.  New member and very new to muzzle loading.  One thing I have learned so far is there sure are a heck of a lot of accessories that go with this sport.  Anyway, I plan on just hunting and not target shooting (except when sighting in of course).  I was wondering what others carry in the field when there is a problem such as having to pull a ball or patch, or the powder doesn't ignite, or you have already taken a shot, missed and now have to clean the barrel with either a dry or wet swab?

I shoot a .45 caliber Thomson Seneca made in the 70s or so.  It has the original ramrod so it doesn't have any threads on the one end to affix a bore or patch puller or to attach a swab or jag with cleaning patches.  I do have a Possibles bag but do people carry a extra ramrod for these problems and where would put it?  And do they clean their gun after every shot in the field?  I load with FFFg with a 440" round lead ball made by Hornady.

Thank you for any help.   
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance   Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance EmptyJanuary 12th 2019, 2:08 pm

Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance Tradit10
Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance Percus10
Back to top Go down
flashpoint

PostSubject: Re: Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance   Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance EmptyJanuary 12th 2019, 2:44 pm

Thanks for all the accessories work.  I am thinking of 2 Possibles bags.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance   Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance EmptyJanuary 12th 2019, 3:33 pm

I'd for sure replace your ramrod so you can attach a cleaning jag to it for in the field cleaning.
Back to top Go down
flashpoint

PostSubject: Re: Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance   Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance EmptyJanuary 12th 2019, 6:19 pm

That's good advice.  Replace the original ram rod with one that has threads at one end.  Would I also need a handle or is it possible to twist the ram rod without one if I would have to use a ball puller?

The original ram rod is pretty snug and measures 5/16 in diameter so the threads could not extend beyond that in order to get the rod fully inserted.  Thank you Strong Eagle and FrontierGander.
Back to top Go down
Mofish

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2018-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance   Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance EmptyJanuary 13th 2019, 3:20 am

I lean more towards being minimalistic in my possible bag. The chances you will have to pull a ball in the field are pretty slim, but with a nipple wrench only, you can dribble a little powder down into the chamber and blow the ball out. I carry a small spray bottle of the mix I use to lube patches, and it is sufficient for any cleaning, etc. you would need. The one thing I would recommend is getting set up with a good rod with a threaded hole in it for your accessories. I like to leave the rod about an inch longer than the originals and just leave it extending a little further from under the barrel. It won't hurt anything and will allow you a better grip on the rod if you need it. I also have my short starters with a chunk of antler on the handle that can not only act as a handle, but as a means of putting more pressure downwards on the rod if needed. Carrying less with you is more of an advantage in most instances.
Back to top Go down
yellowlab

Male Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2016-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance   Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance EmptyJanuary 13th 2019, 7:49 am

Those synthetic ramrods "marketed as unbreakable" aren't as pretty as wood, but are more durable and many have threads on both ends. If you work at it on a cold morning, you can get one to snap. (ask me how I know) Nothing is unbreakable in the right hands.
Back to top Go down
CoHiCntry
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
CoHiCntry

Male Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance   Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance EmptyJanuary 13th 2019, 7:52 am

In my opinion you need to think about the style of hunting you do, as in how far from camp or your truck are you and build a list of needed supplies from there.  I don't carry a lot of stuff with me even though I'm pretty far from the truck some day's.  Guess I'm willing to roll the dice knowing the chances of something happening where I'll need anything more than just the basics are pretty slim.

PostSubject: Re: Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance   Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance EmptyJanuary 13th 2019, 10:06 am

Thanks guys.  Some good advice here and things I haven't thought about.  I appreciate the info.
Back to top Go down
Renegadehunter

Renegadehunter

Male Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2018-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance   Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance EmptyJanuary 14th 2019, 10:17 am

I'm an avid hunter and here's what I currently carry when in the field.  I have about an 8" shooting pouch I wear that has:
2 of the 4-in-1 speed loaders that are ready to go, a small field flask I made that holds 5 reload charges of powder, a short starter, an old plastic snuff can with damp cleaning patches in it, a jag, a nipple wrench, a small combo tool that can remove caps and one end unscrews that is a nipple pick, a screw on palm saver, and an old cap tin with extra lubed patches.  I wear a straight style capping tool around my neck that holds my extra caps, and also have a home made antler powder measure I wear around my neck.  I forego the patch worm, in my 6 or 7 years now of muzzleloading I've yet to need one...but there is one in my larger "black powder stuff" bag in the pickup.  My pouch is made of a stiff leather that holds its shape really well and has a divider in it and one other small pocket that I put my 5 extra roundballs in.  I can easily find what I need in a hurry.  So far when I've ended up shooting, all I've ever used is the jag, palm savor, cleaning patch, and then one of the speed loaders and capping tool.  My cleaning patches are just barely damp and I don't bother with a drying patch.  The screw on palm saver allows me to easily pull the barely damp cleaning patch back out of the barrel.  I bought a replacement ramrod that has 10-32 threads at both ends and the end meant for a jag can be unthreaded to use the ball puller that is under it.  I have had to pull a ball once (tried a tight patch/ball combo with a "dry" style lube while testing) and it worked fine.  Make sure to get a replacement ramrod that is pinned at both ends...very important!
When these things are properly cleaned they just don't mis-fire very often.  I've never had a mis-fire on the first shot, or even the first 5 shots.  The only times I've ever had a fail to fire is when target shooting and swabbing the bore every shot, I kept ending up pushing fouling down the bore and into the flame channel about 6+ shots in.  Turning my jag down slightly appears to have all but solved that issue, I've only had one in the last 50 or so shots since turning down the jag.  Every single time I've had a mis-fire, pulling the nipple and putting a few grains of powder in has solved the problem. 

I clean the same way many others do using the bucket of water with a couple drops of dish soap method.
Back to top Go down
flashpoint

PostSubject: Re: Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance   Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance EmptyJanuary 14th 2019, 11:02 am

Thank you Renegade.  I really appreciate all the information (and all the time to write it.)  Great suggestions.
Back to top Go down
steady eddie

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2017-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance   Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance EmptyJanuary 14th 2019, 12:14 pm

multitool
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance   Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance EmptyJanuary 14th 2019, 12:22 pm

Yeah those damn gerbers come in handy! Shot a deer the other year, had to ask my brother for his gerbers because the spent cap wouldnt come off the nipple.
Back to top Go down
fatcat3

fatcat3

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance   Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance EmptyJanuary 19th 2019, 4:50 am

3 pre measured black powder charges in waxed paper tubes.
3 round balls.
6 or so pre cut patches
6 caps or spare flint.
all in an Altiod like tin with ball starter in my coat pocket. ( 1 tin for each gun, just don't mix up the tins and end up with .50 ca. rifle and .570 round balls)
belt knife
pipe
zippo
tobacco
Back to top Go down
CoHiCntry
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
CoHiCntry

Male Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance   Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance EmptyJanuary 19th 2019, 6:33 am

@fatcat3 wrote:
3 pre measured black powder charges in waxed paper tubes.
3 round balls.
6 or so pre cut patches
6 caps or spare flint.
all in an Altiod like tin with ball starter in my coat pocket. ( 1 tin for each gun, just don't mix up the tins and end up with .50 ca. rifle and .570 round balls)
belt knife
pipe
zippo
tobacco

Pipe, tobacco, zippo... I’ll have to add these to my kit. Thanks! lol!

PostSubject: Re: Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance   Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance EmptyJanuary 19th 2019, 11:02 am

THanks CoHiCntry.  I  like your minimalistic approach.  Now that I have so many accessories I need to take a look at how realistic it is to carry everything.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance   Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance EmptyJanuary 19th 2019, 11:40 am

In the field, you carry what you basically need to reload the gun and swab the bore. Basically make sure you have your ramrod, cleaning jag and some dry patches. Along with powder, projectile and caps.

Come hunting season, I strip down to just a few powder tubes, balls, patches and caps. Every ounce counts in the mountains.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3406
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance   Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance EmptyJanuary 19th 2019, 11:51 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
In the field, you carry what you basically need to reload the gun and swab the bore. Basically make sure you have your ramrod, cleaning jag and some dry patches. Along with powder, projectile and caps.

Come hunting season, I strip down to just a few powder tubes, balls, patches and caps. Every ounce counts in the mountains.

Do as Jonathan has stated, all the major items you think of most times are not needed, leave them in the truck for peace of mind. The lighter the better, you'll be able to travels further, have less wear and tear on yourself and have a more enjoyable time watching your friends complain about their load of gear.   Smile

Back to top Go down
N.Y. Yankee

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance   Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance EmptyJanuary 29th 2019, 2:32 pm

Pulling a ball in the field is unrealistic and will be unnecessary if you follow correct procedures. You need to shoot your gun enough in the off season so you know how to load it and what is a good load for your gun so that you can reload it in the field several times in one trip if needed. On a hunt you should be able to at least load 3 shots without "cleaning" the bore so having cleaning supplies is also unnecessary. If you need more than 3 shots, you are either very lucky to be that close to game or a very bad shot. Experience will tell you what you need. Most guys will carry pre measured powder charges in plastic vials, as do I, and patch and ball in a quick access container for faster reloading. Whatever you do, DO NOT run a dry patch down a fouled bore! It WILL get stuck and you WILL be done for a good while.
Back to top Go down

Muzzle Loading Field Maintenance
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: