Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 

Ice fishing Northern Pike

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Idaholewis

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Ice fishing Northern Pike   January 12th 2019, 10:16 pm

Iím Hoping we get some ice this year (Not Looking good as of yet though) I enjoy ice fishing for Northern Pike, My Personal biggest is 12-15 pounds, But they get WAY bigger here!

These are old Pics of my Dad the first few years they lived here, Both of these fish almost became the new Idaho State Record, They weighed in at 36, and 37 pounds, at the time these fish were caught the Idaho state Record was like 38 pounds, Now days itís 40 or 41 pounds

Back to top Go down
CoHiCntry
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
CoHiCntry

Male Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2013-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Ice fishing Northern Pike   January 13th 2019, 8:08 am

Hoping you get some ice??? †I figured everything in Idaho was frozen from September to May? Lol! †I've been out once this year, mostly because I got invited. †We caught a few nice rainbows. †Ice fishing isn't my favorite thing to do. †I sold off all my equipment a couple years ago. †So many other things I'd rather be doing.

Those pike look pretty nice! †I love throwing big spoons for them off a boat in the summer in Canada! †I've been on a couple fly in trips up north where the walleye and pike fishing was excellent!

PostSubject: Re: Ice fishing Northern Pike   January 13th 2019, 8:38 am

@CoHiCntry wrote:
Hoping you get some ice??? †I figured everything in Idaho was frozen from September to May? Lol! †I've been out once this year, mostly because I got invited. †We caught a few nice rainbows. †Ice fishing isn't my favorite thing to do. †I sold off all my equipment a couple years ago. †So many other things I'd rather be doing.

Those pike look pretty nice! †I love throwing big spoons for them off a boat in the summer in Canada! †I've been on a couple fly in trips up north where the walleye and pike fishing was excellent!

We have Ice, but Iím not confident that itís enough to head out yet? This has been the Mildest Winter thus far since i have lived here in Idaho, We usually have 2-3 Feet of snow here in Town by now, and 6-8 Ft in the Hills, i would say we have maybe 4-5 inches here in town is all, Maybe itís stil to come? Stil time left†Very Happy

The way we fish for these Northerns is boring to a lot of folks, We use ďTip upsĒ With a Herring on a Treble Hook, if you see a Flag pop up you wander out and Retrieve him, Both of the Pike above of my Dadís were pulled through 7Ē Ice holes, that is a SQUEEEEEEZE to get fish that size through! Dad has a Power Auger with 10Ē Cutting head, But we rarely take it, We already have PLENTY of gear to Sled across the Ice to get where we like to go. The Females are the GIANTS, they are Staging to Spawn in the Shallow Coves, Most of these places are sheltered, and get covered good with Ice.†

I have caught a few Jigging for Perch and Crappie, that is MUCH more fun than the Tip ups, Itís fun to get out, Sit and visit and Watch for Flags, But definitely not for everyone
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3435
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Ice fishing Northern Pike   January 13th 2019, 1:13 pm

This has not been a good year for ice fishing here in MA...too warm and not enough ice.†Sad

What size ice hole do you need to pull those monster pike up-through Idaholewis† Question
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: Ice fishing Northern Pike   January 13th 2019, 11:27 pm

@Marty wrote:
This has not been a good year for ice fishing here in MA...too warm and not enough ice.†Sad

What size ice hole do you need to pull those monster pike up-through Idaholewis† Question

Marty, †The 2 Big fish of my Dadís were pulled through 7Ē Holes, He said it took some playing around to get them through! I would be nervous about losing 1 that size! So far my biggest Northern is 12-15 pounds. Itís starting to get cold again here now, 22 out as i type this. We need about 2 weeks of this for it to get Safe, there are probably people trying it now, Iím not gonna do that yet lol! I need to get out and catch my Gallon size Bag of Bluegill to Grind up for Garden time, No better fertilizer than that†:tup2
Back to top Go down

Ice fishing Northern Pike
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Fishing Forum :: Fishing-
Jump to: