Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Replacing a CVA Drum

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16222
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Replacing a CVA Drum Empty
PostSubject: Replacing a CVA Drum   Replacing a CVA Drum EmptyJanuary 15th 2019, 9:29 pm

A while back, I was cleaning and inspecting my brothers spare CVA Mountain Stalker. Removed the nipple, cleaning the thread when I noticed a good sized crack in the threads where the nipple screws into. Today for some odd reason, under a preview of items listed, I found a direct replacement CVA Drum! I bought that sucker up in a hurry.

What do you think? Soak that drum in penetrating oil for a good week before attempting to remove it?

Im thinking either a good pipe wrench or file some flats to fit a wrench on and see if it will break loose.
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Replacing a CVA Drum   Replacing a CVA Drum EmptyJanuary 16th 2019, 7:44 am

Some years they were press fit. Most go all the way through.  I am interested in your conclusion.
Back to top Go down
MattRaymond

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Replacing a CVA Drum   Replacing a CVA Drum EmptyJanuary 16th 2019, 8:06 am

It might be quite difficult. They were installed and the threads go into the other side of the barrel, and then they were cut into for the patent breach. The replacement may involve drilling it all out and rethread the whole thing. Check with a guy named captchee on a forum called tradrag. I think he’s done it and he could probably tell you how to do it. 

Good Luck

Matt
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Replacing a CVA Drum   Replacing a CVA Drum EmptyJanuary 16th 2019, 10:44 am

Original style
Replacing a CVA Drum Cva_br10

newer style
Replacing a CVA Drum S-l16010

Last edited by FrontierGander on March 12th 2019, 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Replacing a CVA Drum   Replacing a CVA Drum EmptyFebruary 9th 2019, 1:12 pm

Soaked it for close to 2 weeks in PB Blaster. I first tried unscrewing the drum but the metal was so soft it caved in on itself and so I cut it almost flush with the barrel and went to an easy out.

I heated up around the drum with a propane torch, installed the easy out and once it went all the way down flush, I cranked that sucker and the drum easily backed right out!

Replacing a CVA Drum Img_0317
Replacing a CVA Drum Img_0315
Replacing a CVA Drum Img_0316
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Replacing a CVA Drum   Replacing a CVA Drum EmptyFebruary 9th 2019, 1:16 pm

Now this is the slight issue. I've done this before in the past by shimming with a brass or copper washer which did the job fine. I think I'd have to turn the drum down on a lathe in order to bypass the washer?
Replacing a CVA Drum Img_0318
Replacing a CVA Drum Img_0319
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3693
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Replacing a CVA Drum   Replacing a CVA Drum EmptyFebruary 10th 2019, 6:43 am

FG,  where can I get a double-handed cranking wrench like the one shown Question 

My limited knowledge with these little hidden repairs always makes me nervous about buying a used sidelock.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Replacing a CVA Drum   Replacing a CVA Drum EmptyFebruary 10th 2019, 1:04 pm

Marty, that wrench is from a threading kit I have. I'd imagine a search on ebay or amazon will turn one up.

I ended up taking the advice of the old gun builders and did it by hand this morning. I used a jewelers file and carefully turned the drum down until everything lined up perfectly after a good heavy seating of the drum against the barrel. Everything lined up perfectly, better than factory actually. Next I will proof it and then get it all sighted in. Its good to have this one back! Has the 1:32 twist 50cal barrel on it that shoots the real bullets like a dream.
Replacing a CVA Drum 20190210-124238
Replacing a CVA Drum 20190210-124202
Replacing a CVA Drum 20190210-123025
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3693
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Replacing a CVA Drum   Replacing a CVA Drum EmptyFebruary 10th 2019, 1:44 pm

My eyes tell me i'd be happy with that line-up job. :rtup
Back to top Go down
MattRaymond

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Replacing a CVA Drum   Replacing a CVA Drum EmptyFebruary 10th 2019, 5:49 pm

Nicely done
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Replacing a CVA Drum   Replacing a CVA Drum EmptyFebruary 24th 2019, 4:24 pm

New drum is ready to be proofed tomorrow. I will have to soak the bore with alcohol to remove all the penetrating oil. but everything looks great on the inside.
Replacing a CVA Drum Snapsh13
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Replacing a CVA Drum   Replacing a CVA Drum EmptyMarch 3rd 2019, 10:50 am

This one is all fixed up and back in action! Proofing went fine and she shoots awesome with both the 370gr maxi ball and 250gr REAL bullet. Lots of powder in the drum. I'd remove the nipple and check for consistent flow into the drum/under the nipple and everything goods A-ok!
Back to top Go down

Replacing a CVA Drum
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Gun Builders Bench-
Jump to: