Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
flashpoint

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2019-01-12

FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? Empty
PostSubject: FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?   FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? EmptyJanuary 17th 2019, 9:10 pm

Newbe here. A few questions if you don't mind.  After the gun is cleaned, what kind of oil should I use on a swab to protect the bore till I hunt again?

After several shots, what should I use to swab the bore with before I start shooting again?

In the T/C manual for a 45. caliber Seneca it says that if a ball is stuck in the barrel, you should remove the cap from the nipple take the barrel off and soak it in hot water for a period of time.  Then put it in a vice (with wood on either side and pull the ball.  Well what if I am out hunting and that happens?  Should I remove the cap, pull the barrel, insert a ball puller and hook a T handled ramrod between two limbs of a tree and pull?  Can you do this in the field as there sure ain't no hot water out there?

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?   FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? EmptyJanuary 17th 2019, 9:21 pm

Use your favorite and most trusted gun oil. You hear, don't use petro oil! It'll make tar in your bore! BS, any oil you put in the bore, must first come out prior to loading. Use an alcohol patch and swab the bore prior to loading.

With your sidelock, should you forget to add powder and have seated the ball, simply pull the nipple out, dribble in powder, smack the stock around, top it off again with more powder ( assuming it can hold more ) reinstall the nipple, cap and fire. It will be a puny little load, but it will get the ball out of the barrel quickly. Much faster and easier than pulling a ball out.

If you can get several shots off, I just use a simple water based cleaner on the range, or even just use a spit patch. Carry a supply of dry patches, pop one in your mouth to moisten it, then swab the bore with that patch. Follow up with a couple dry patches.

If you ever do have to use a ball puller, ALWAYS remove the percussion cap. Do NOT remove the barrel from the stock, sometimes this is a two person job where the other fellow will have to help you hold the stock in place while you pull out the projectile with a sturdy range rod. Do not attempt to do this with a wooden ramrod!

Using a T handle and the tree idea sounds like it just might work, but I certainly would go with my first recommendation and dribble in some powder under the nipple.
Back to top Go down
flashpoint

PostSubject: Re: FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?   FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? EmptyJanuary 17th 2019, 10:58 pm

Wow, really good advice Frontier.  It's these little things that I need to know like wiping out the bore of oil before I load the gun.  Who knew?  Thanks much.
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Re: FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?   FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? EmptyJanuary 17th 2019, 11:05 pm

What FrontierGander said, Very good advise :tup2
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?   FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? EmptyJanuary 18th 2019, 6:24 am

Do what Frontier Gander and Idaholewis have suggested.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
yellowlab

Male Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2016-12-21

PostSubject: Re: FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?   FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? EmptyJanuary 18th 2019, 8:22 am

If you have to pull a bullet/ball in the field, "wet powder ect." Tie a strong string/boot lace to your T handle or tie to your ramrod then give a couple of half hitches to help keep it from slipping off, tie the other end to something solid and give the gun quick pull/snap. This usually works if your boot string holds up. Its easier on your ramrod than a vise and if something goes bad "discharge" you are at least on the correct end of the firearm. Be sure to first pull the cap.
Back to top Go down
Renegadehunter

Renegadehunter

Male Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2018-10-12

PostSubject: Re: FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?   FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? EmptyJanuary 21st 2019, 11:13 am

I would always try to put powder under the nipple when possible.  This is only when the projectile can be seated all the way down into the bore.
If you do have to use a ball puller, you have it right to try to make the end of the ramrod stationary and then pull on the gun rather than the other way around.  I got one stuck halfway down several years ago and ended up using a plastic milk crate to help remove it.  Got the puller threaded into the ball, then stuck the other end of the ramrod through one of the slots on the milk crate, put my threaded palm savor on it that was bigger than the milk crate slot, and then with the milk crate flipped upside down I stood on the crate and then pulled the gun up and off the ramrod.  Came out pretty easily that way.
Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?   FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? EmptyJanuary 21st 2019, 12:02 pm

I can't add much to what's already been said, but I'll offer what I do.  I use tight loads and don't have to wipe the bore during any shooting or hunting.  I clean with tap water, dry thoroughly, use Barricade in the bore and sinply wipe down the outside.  Any quality gun oil works for muzzleloaders.
Back to top Go down
http://www.martialartsusa.com
flashpoint

PostSubject: Re: FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?   FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? EmptyJanuary 21st 2019, 4:58 pm

Thank you Hanshi.  Was wondering when you say '"tight".  Do you use pre cut lubed patches?  I have T/C prelubricated pillow ticking round ball pouches I was going to use in my 45. caliber T/C Seneca.
Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?   FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? EmptyJanuary 22nd 2019, 12:40 pm

@flashpoint wrote:
Thank you Hanshi.  Was wondering when you say '"tight".  Do you use pre cut lubed patches?  I have T/C prelubricated pillow ticking round ball pouches I was going to use in my 45. caliber T/C Seneca.

By tight I actually mean very, very snug.  I cut my own patches out of .024" canvas or .019" cotton duck.  I prefer the canvas and it loads easier than even the cotton duck.  Each load pushes the last shots fouling down on the powder so that there's never more than one shot worth of fouling in the bore.

To make this work I recommend polishing the crown with sandpaper using your thumb and rotating the barrel so it polishes evenly.  What you want to do is polish down into the lands so they are no longer abruptly sharp to the muzzle.  Generally, you don't have to go much further down than about 1/16" to 1/8".  The idea is to have the prb smoothly start into the rifling gradually; this prevents tearing holes in the patch during seating.  Polishing doesn't take that long and you can start with a coarse paper then switch to a finer grit for polishing super smooth.  It can easily be done in under 30 minutes unless you're slow like me.
Back to top Go down
N.Y. Yankee

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Re: FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?   FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? EmptyJanuary 29th 2019, 11:29 am

I like Ballistol mixed 9 parts water to 1 part oil. Mix it, shake it well and pour into a spray bottle and a small squirt bottle. This is sometimes called "moose milk" and makes a great BP cleaning solvent. Once clean and dry, I do the entire gun inside and out with straight Ballistol on a patch to prevent rust. 

As FrontierGander said, ALL oils or greases (Crisco, Bore Butter) need to be swabbed out of the barrel before you load it. Modern gun steels cannot be "seasoned" like every gun shop owner will tell you. All you can do is "condition" the bore and smooth it. That is only done by shooting it. Use a bit of Isopropyl alcohol on a patch to wipe out the oil before you load it.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
howie1968

Male Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2019-02-12

PostSubject: Re: FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?   FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? EmptyFebruary 12th 2019, 11:08 am

I love birchwood casey barricade
Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?   FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? EmptyFebruary 12th 2019, 11:30 am

Me, too.  I've been relying on Barricade for years and use it religiously.
Back to top Go down
stude 283

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?   FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? EmptyFebruary 12th 2019, 5:03 pm

Hanshi, 
           You lube bore with barricade and do not wipe from bore before loading with no problems for years?
Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?   FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? EmptyFebruary 13th 2019, 1:17 pm

Yes.  Barricade dries and doesn't need wiping out.  I still often run one (1) dry patch down the bore before leaving for the bush.  But this is something I simply may or may not do before shooting.  No problems have surfaced in all the years of using Barricade.  When a dry patch is used, you'll usually get it out looking just as white and clean as it was before using it.  Now one can't do that with a gun oil.  If I use a gun oil then alcohol is used prior to loading.
Back to top Go down
Stubert

Stubert

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2019-02-10

PostSubject: Re: FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?   FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? EmptyFebruary 14th 2019, 5:32 pm

May I also add, be damn sure your brass ends are pinned to the ramrod or wiping stick. If you think a dry ball sucks, wait until you pull the end off your ramrod trying to remove a ball with a worm. I personally use an aluminum shotgun rod with a 10/32 adapter to pull balls.
Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?   FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? EmptyFebruary 15th 2019, 8:49 am

I agree, Stubert.  I usually glue as well as pin the tips.  I use a ss range rod to pull ball; tried it once with a wood rod and the rod twisted into.
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?   FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? EmptyFebruary 15th 2019, 11:03 am

Many times at the range i've seen people dry ball muzzleloaders. Removing the nipple, forcing some powder into the bolster/flash channel, re-installing the nipple, capping and firing always worked.

One time i was forced to pull a ball. A shooter had loaded his conventional muzzleloader with BH 209. We forced powder into the flash channel and under the nipple several times, it never worked.
Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?   FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? EmptyFebruary 15th 2019, 11:46 am

Well, I've never, ahem, "dryballed" in my life.  Then again I guess I did; but it was on purpose just to see how it felt.  :shh
Back to top Go down

FIELD CLEANING AND BALL PULLING...WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: