Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

SCORE your off-hand shooting ...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3767
Registration date : 2009-02-03

SCORE your off-hand shooting ... Empty
PostSubject: SCORE your off-hand shooting ...   SCORE your off-hand shooting ... EmptyJanuary 22nd 2019, 9:18 am

SCORE your off-hand shooting ... XQraV4U

SCORE your off-hand shooting ... 6sN39P8

As deer season approached (and before we left the range after we sighted-in our certerfire rifles) my hunting buddies and I would shoot off-hand to see who would buy drinks that night.  We developed a simple, two-step math process to score a round of 3 at 100 yards. 

Who do you think scored better just by looking at the two simulated targets Question

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s.  I'll let you know who scored better and why.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16313
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: SCORE your off-hand shooting ...   SCORE your off-hand shooting ... EmptyJanuary 22nd 2019, 10:54 am

For me, the first shot closest to the bulls eye would be the winner in an actual hunting situation. I'd say however, that the  bottom target scores highest.
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Re: SCORE your off-hand shooting ...   SCORE your off-hand shooting ... EmptyJanuary 24th 2019, 4:17 am

I agree with Jonathan, The bottom Target for better score. The 1st Target is the winner for Hunter Score
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3767
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: SCORE your off-hand shooting ...   SCORE your off-hand shooting ... EmptyJanuary 24th 2019, 8:42 am

So what does a “Score” on any target really tell you?

For me, an off-hand target score attempts to establish my “effective hunting distance” if given three unthinkable opportunities to shoot in succession.  Everything relies on the FIRST shot when hunting…be it centerfire, muzzleloader or bow.  We might get a second shot at our game but hardly ever a third. 

Give this off-hand practice round of 3 at 100 yards a try.  If you’re not satisfied with your score using this method, back-off another 25 yards to 75 yards and see if your score improves.  

SCORING:

NOTE: Bullet numbering 1, 2, and 3 on both targets correspond to the shot sequence order.

STEP 1:   Measure the 3 individual bullet distances from the target center.  Measure distances to the nearest 0.25 inch. 

TOP TARGET Data – Bullet holes #1 and #2 distances from target center were the same at 2.0 inches each.  Bullet # 3 (the furthest distance to center) is 3.75 inches. 

BOTTOM TARGET Data – Bullet #1 is 4.75 inches from target center.   Bullet #2 is 0.75 inches from target center, and Bullet #3 is 1.5 inches from target center.   

STEP 2:

Next, add a weighted “MODIFIER” to each bullet distance from target center.  I’ll assign a modifier (multiplier) of “2.0” for the first shot fired, a modifier of 1.5 for the second shot fired, and a modifier of 1.0 for the third shot fired.    These modifiers will value most the first shot, and represent decreasing odds thereafter for opportunities of taking an additional second and third shot beyond the one that matters most…the FIRST shot at game.  Numerically the first shot is worth twice the third shot.

Calculate the sum of distances for the three shots fired while applying the sequential modifiers above.  You can then get a target score by subtracting the weighted-sum of the 3 bullet distances from a starting score of 100.

Now it’s time to crank-out some numbers and get a target score.

TOP TARGET Calculations – Bullet #1 distance to target center is 2.0 inches X 2.0 = 4.0 inches.  Bullet #2 distance to center is 2.0 inches X 1.5 = 3 inches, and bullet #3 distance to center is 3.75 inches X 1.0 = 3.75 inches.  Total weighted-sum is now 10.75 inches (4+3+3.75) from center of the target for the 3 rounds.  A score of 89.25 is calculated for this target.  (100 – 10.75 = 89.25).

BOTTOM TARGET Calculations – Bullet #1 is 4.75 inches X 2.0 = 9.5 inches.  Bullet # 2 is 0.75 inches X 1.5 = 1.125 inches, and bullet #3 is 1.5 inches X 1.0 = 1.5 inches.   Total weighted-sum is therefore 12.125 inches (9.5+1.125+1.5) from center of the target for the 3 rounds.   A score of 87.875 is calculated for this target.   (100-12.125 = 87.875)

Top target scored better at 89.25 with the Bottom target scoring 87.875.  However, If you crank through the numbers without using the modifiers, the Bottom target scores better with 93.0 and the Top target with 92.25.
Back to top Go down

SCORE your off-hand shooting ...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Modern Shooters-
Jump to: