Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Are slings in or out?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
flashpoint

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2019-01-12

Are slings in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyJanuary 27th 2019, 7:54 pm

Was wondering, is it proper to put a rifle sling on a muzzleloader or is it a no no?  I've seen slings where the rifle butt is wrapped inside the "boot" and the other end is around the barrel which I don't like.  Are there any other options? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

Number of posts : 589
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyJanuary 28th 2019, 6:49 am

@flashpoint wrote:
Was wondering, is it proper to put a rifle sling on a muzzleloader or is it a no no?  I've seen slings where the rifle butt is wrapped inside the "boot" and the other end is around the barrel which I don't like.  Are there any other options? Thanks.

That is what I have used for 50 years. Never seen anything else. My Sister use to tease me using Bailing Twine.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
RonC

Male Number of posts : 1139
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyJanuary 28th 2019, 8:00 am

When I visit a Rendezvous or other muzzleloading event where I carry around my rifle, I use a leather sling with a butt boot on one end and a leather thong around the barrel. When I am capable of going hunting, I would use this same sling.
I have seen traditional muzzleloaders modified with metal sling attachments. As useful as they might be, I would never add permanent attachment points on my black powder rifles.

Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man’s Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, It’s Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyJanuary 28th 2019, 9:36 am

Here is a pic of a rifle sling That I found on the internet that I'm going to make.  This might be similar to what Ron uses.

Are slings in or out? MJzlvH
Are slings in or out? V74vH2

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyJanuary 28th 2019, 9:38 am

I use one similar to joes. Works great. I put the front strap around the ramrod rather than the barrel though.
Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
RonC

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyJanuary 28th 2019, 10:27 am

That is just like the one I use, Smokin' Joe.
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man’s Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, It’s Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1774
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyJanuary 28th 2019, 3:13 pm

Yep. I have one of those, too. I have seen them in use in a couple places.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3406
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyJanuary 28th 2019, 4:48 pm

This is your basic style of an early sling (non military) found in the research books.

Are slings in or out? GUN+SLING+001

Attachment made with a loop (no sling swivels, etc).  I like this as the sling acts as my "drag strap" when pulling out game.

Are slings in or out? AL1500_b

another example KC.

Back to top Go down
flashpoint

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2019-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyJanuary 28th 2019, 8:08 pm

Thank you everyone.  Good ideas and I will check them out.
Back to top Go down
N.Y. Yankee

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyJanuary 29th 2019, 10:50 am

Since none of my guns are true replicas nor are the truly period correct, I have no problems with sling swivels, if done correctly, and leather slings. I would not do it otherwise. It comes down to personal preference.
Back to top Go down
bronko22000

Male Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2016-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyJanuary 29th 2019, 10:54 am

I use one similar to Buck. Simple and effective. But I don't carry my rifle verticle with my sling but adjust it so it is horizontal at about waist height. That way it is loose enough that I can shoulder it quickly should I need to.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyJanuary 29th 2019, 6:03 pm

@bronko22000 wrote:
I use one similar to Buck. Simple and effective. But I don't carry my rifle verticle with my sling but adjust it so it is horizontal at about waist height. That way it is loose enough that I can shoulder it quickly should I need to.

I do the same, we hunt in heavy pine forests and a gun on your shoulder is a pain.

Back to top Go down
CoHiCntry
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
CoHiCntry

Male Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyJanuary 29th 2019, 6:58 pm

@Buck Conner wrote:
@bronko22000 wrote:

I do the same, we hunt in heavy pine forests and a gun on your shoulder is a pain.

Would a normal length sling like the one you posted a pic of accommodate this kind of carry style?  Seems like it would need to be kind of long to be able to carry your rifle verticle down by your waist?

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyJanuary 30th 2019, 9:40 am

They come in different lengths, I bought the longest one available so it could be used for several things like pulling out game, as a support when climbing around in trees plus used for what it was made for - a sling. I'll see if there's a makers mark on the one I have.

Most of my equipage of late was purchased or made with the idea of being able to do several tasks, the more uses the better and less weight to pack around. Always keep this in your memory bank, "more chores and less weight". The older you get you'll want less to pack around.   cheers

Back to top Go down
burlesontom

Male Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2018-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyJanuary 30th 2019, 1:13 pm

I have one like shown in Smokin Joes post made from sy=uede leather I got from Cabelas many years ago. It works but I don't really like it. Sometimes the front loop raises up and blocks the front sight. 

Some of the traditional military rifles had "U" shaped metal loops on the buttstock and forend that were pinned through the wood. Track of the wolf sells those in different widths. I even tried to make one but I don't have steel thats wide enough. But it woulkd be easy to do and pin the front one above the ramrod channel and just below the barrel. Then add a second one to the buttstock.

I wouldn't make me any difference if they are HC or not. As long as it works thats all that matters to me.

I like this.  https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/55/1/SLING-UNIV-J

This for the forend.  https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/910/1/SWIVEL-1-W

And this for the butt.  https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/55/1/SLING-LACE-S

I am cheap. I would use the last one listed as a pattern and then make all I wanted from it.

Last edited by burlesontom on January 31st 2019, 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyJanuary 30th 2019, 3:11 pm

Quote :
I wouldn't make n]me any difference if they are HC or not. As long as it works thats all that matters to me.

Same here.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyJanuary 30th 2019, 3:22 pm

@burlesontom wrote:
I have one like shown in Smokin Joes post made from sy=uede leather I got from Cabelas many years ago. It works but I don't really like it. Sometimes the front loop raises up and blocks the front sight. 

I have several of the Universal Slings like you show, nice thing is they don't sweat like leather or mold. The  2" wide woven jute with thick leather ends work very nicely.

I have used their swivels on the forearm, a warning if your wood in pretty slim - I have installed additional under lug for the swivel screw to pass through it and the forearm wood.

Are slings in or out? Swivel-3-b_1

The plain button sling stud TOTW offers works very nicely, they say its for late guns, but I have seen similar screws used on anything from the late 1700's to the middle of the fur trade (probably installed by local blacksmiths). The 3/4" diameter head has a 1/4" lug beneath for installation. Overall length is 1-1/8". Tapered screw thread as found on many antiques firearms.

Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyJanuary 31st 2019, 10:18 am

Do those button studs screw into the wood? And if they do how do you screw them in with no screwdriver slot? I am guessing the 1/4" lug is tightened with a thin wrench? lots of questions here. Inquiring minds want to know.

I just picked up a Pedersoli Scout Carbine and would like to add a sling to it. The best method I have came up with so far is the U shaped swivels like in my other post. I don't mind drilling a hole through the stock to install the crosspin. I don't see any way it could tear through even though TOW recommends adding a stud to the bottom of the barrel.
Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
RonC

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyJanuary 31st 2019, 10:46 am

Hey, Mr. Buck, I found just the sling for you! It'll really set you apart from the crowd.
Are slings in or out? Flower11

Ron

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyJanuary 31st 2019, 3:30 pm

@burlesontom wrote:
Do those button studs screw into the wood? And if they do how do you screw them in with no screwdriver slot? I am guessing the 1/4" lug is tightened with a thin wrench? lots of questions here. Inquiring minds want to know.

Are slings in or out? Butt

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyJanuary 31st 2019, 3:33 pm

@RonC wrote:
Hey, Mr. Buck, I found just the sling for you! It'll really set you apart from the crowd.

Ron

Ron I think this is the same one Jonathan showed me that Big Al was using.  Jonathan thought it was purchased to match his new underwear.

Are slings in or out? Big

scratch   Tease

Last edited by Buck Conner on February 2nd 2019, 10:05 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
RonC

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyFebruary 1st 2019, 9:59 am

@Buck Conner wrote:
@RonC wrote:

Ron

Ron I think this is the same one Jonathan showed me that Big Al was using.   scratch   Tease

Hee, hee! Laughing

Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyFebruary 1st 2019, 5:40 pm

OK I got out my sling and tried on my new Pedersoli Scout Rifle. I added a Chicago button nat the front. This stopped the slip and lets me take the ramrod in and out without interference. I think this set up will do fine for my needs.

OK I tried to upload 3 pictures but it says excessive storage space so i can't do the pictures even though I resized them so I guess you will have use your imagination.
Back to top Go down
Kicked Back

Male Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2018-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyFebruary 1st 2019, 7:23 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
I use one similar to joes. Works great. I put the front strap around the ramrod rather than the barrel though.
that is a real good idea...another big thanks.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Are slings in or out?   Are slings in or out? EmptyFebruary 1st 2019, 7:31 pm

A little more modern but one hell of a great sling. We used this on my dads hawken last year and it just eases up the felt load so much. You can go around the barrel or the ramrod with this one to.
https://store.specialtyoutdoorproducts.net/ultimate-loop-sling
Back to top Go down

Are slings in or out?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: