Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

WANTED: Hunting "sparks"

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3799
Registration date : 2009-02-03

WANTED:  Hunting "sparks" Empty
PostSubject: WANTED: Hunting "sparks"   WANTED:  Hunting "sparks" Empty2019-01-28, 13:02

Shooting, Limiting-Out, Trophy, Method and Sportsperson… the five stages of hunting. 
Most hunters were introduced to these while taking a required Hunter Safety Course.  2018 marked 50 years affraid of various hunting seasons for me!  This past season I startled myself by asking why for the last hour in 26 degree weather am I waiting here for a deer to come along?  That night I read study about the five stages again.   

As an avid hunter I’ve enjoyed all five stages of hunting, but at age 62 how does one answer the “what-now” question when it comes to hunting?  Not the easiest to answer when you’re experiencing a 50 year bank of “been-there-done-that” memories and accomplished goals.  I still have many years to hunt, and could learn from your current and lifetime hunting philosophies.  Dunno Perhaps there’s something Light Bulb I haven’t thought about or truly considered, so I’m all ears to anyone offering me wisdom to follow in years to come. Neutral

Regardless of your age or what you now hunt, beyond table fare what most sparks your continued desire to hunt game Question   
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16344
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: Hunting "sparks"   WANTED:  Hunting "sparks" Empty2019-01-28, 13:19

Marty, pick up a sidelock buddy! These old guns really bring a new meaning to hunting and the thrill you will experience. Add in the traditional clothing, the looks you get, the questions. It keeps you wanting to learn more and help others along the way.

Hunting for me is about going out in the mountains and enjoying time with family. Seeing new places, the thrill of running across game and the chance to fill the freezer. I just love going out and exploring.
Back to top Go down
Renegadehunter

Renegadehunter

Male Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2018-10-12

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: Hunting "sparks"   WANTED:  Hunting "sparks" Empty2019-01-28, 14:05

I would have to echo FrontierGander's words.  I love going out and exploring, spending the time with friends and family, as well as just plain seeing animals.
I like trying to figure out the best place to hang a treestand to encounter a nice buck, or put up a blind to call in a turkey so I can get away with drawing my bow without it being spooked. 
I've found over the years I've migrated from centerfire rifles to archery and sidelocks.  They make for a more up close and personal encounter, as well as more challenging woodsman skills to get closer.
The hectic life of today's workforce and demands melt away and aren't thought of while I'm in the woods.
I've had encounters that I'll never forget that didn't even involve a game animal.  One time two pine squirrels were chasing each other around while I sat on a stump in a clearcut hoping to see an elk during early archery season.  The squirrel being chased ran right by me so close I could've reached out and touched it.  I thought that was neat...until the second squirrel jumped onto my boot, then knee, and then my shoulder as it pursued the other one.  I don't think it ever knew I wasn't just part of that stump.  Made me grin like a fool when it happened.  I've also been sitting and leaning up against a log and had chipmunks walk right by on the log.
I find that when I'm going to check my game cameras it feels like it did when I was a kid anticipating opening presents on Christmas morning.
I still find myself experimenting with different ways to use the meat.  Breakfast sausage, different jerky brines, etc., is all fun and rewarding (if I don't screw up the recipe anyway!) to me.
Back to top Go down
CoHiCntry
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
CoHiCntry

Male Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2013-10-01

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: Hunting "sparks"   WANTED:  Hunting "sparks" Empty2019-01-29, 18:51

Geesh... where to begin?  I came to muzzleloading by way of hunting.  I'm a hunter through and through.  I'm not real interested in reenacting or dressing in old time clothes or any of that kind of stuff. I use gear designed for western big game hunting.  So I'm kind of a traditional hunter that utilizes modern "backcountry specific" hunting gear.  I bow hunt, muzzleloader hunt, and rifle hunt.  I usually hunt several species of western big game every year.  I've been blessed to have taken quite a few big game animals over the years.

I've heard the "stages of hunting" you refer too.  I'm all the above depending on the season or the animal being hunted.  From trophy hunting to meat hunting I really like it all!  I've taken some decent trophies, some that qualify for B&C and P&Y but I've never had one officially measured or entered into the books.  So I guess I'm not as trophy oriented as some?

The "spark" that keeps me going is simply my love for the mountains, and for the backcountry.  I love wildlife too wether I'm hunting them or simply observing them.  I spend a lot of time in the mountains backpacking, climbing mountains, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing... and the list goes on!  The one thing that speaks to me more than any of these activities though is hunting!

That at least scratches the surface of what makes me tick and where the "spark" comes from for me.  Good topic!

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1563
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: Hunting "sparks"   WANTED:  Hunting "sparks" Empty2019-02-02, 12:24

Quote :
Marty, pick up a sidelock buddy! These old guns really bring a new meaning to hunting and the thrill you will experience.

^^^^ This

The desire to get out in nature. At a somewhat advanced age i still have the desire to sneak up close on deer and hogs. Killed three deer with .50 caliber patched round balls last season. Will do some more of that in October, 2019.

Learned how to sneak up on animals in southern Maryland over 50 years ago. i watched a hunter, a SEAL, i was with stalk a buck that appeared about 200 yards away. That guy started crawling through the grass with his single barrel shotgun. When the deer had it's head down he crawled, when the deer raised it's head he stopped. In about 30 minutes the hunter was 25 yards from the deer. He fired and the deer expired.
Back to top Go down
JLBSparks

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2015-03-04

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: Hunting "sparks"   WANTED:  Hunting "sparks" Empty2019-02-05, 17:30

I guess I'm my own "Sparks" (not my REAL name).

-Joe
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 495
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: Hunting "sparks"   WANTED:  Hunting "sparks" Empty2019-02-07, 04:31

I live/love to hunt, i took hunter’s safety when i was 8 years old, i harvested a Bear and a Buck that same year, I have hunted EVERY year since. I have Killed a Deer every year i have hunted, Lot of Coastal Blacktail, Several Mule Deer, 1 that i Got in the P&Y Record Book with my Bow. I have Killed a Few Cougars and Bobcats, Lots of Bear over the Years. My first Bull Elk when i was 14-15, I have harvested at least 8 Elk. Up until the last 10 years or so i hadn’t hunted Elk much, Growing up on the Wa Coast where i did, we didn’t have Elk Close by us, I only hunted them a handful of times in 38 Years over there, The Majority of my Elk Hunting has been in the Last 8 years, since i moved here to Idaho.

Out of all the critters i have hunted, Whitetail Deer is without a Doubt my Passion. I keep working on getting a True Trophy Class Whitetail Buck, 150” or Better. I have been really close Several times but just didn’t close the deal. When Our Deer season opens i use my Scoped Centerfire, We only get 1 Deer Tag here, A lot of places that i Hunt my Shots can be a little Long 300-400 Yards, While i can make Shots like this On Paper NO PROBLEM with my Muzzleloaders, it is just to Far to Ethically Shoot at Big Game Animals with Open Sights. Sure, i could setup a Scoped inline Muzzleloader, But I Don’t see that as ANY FORM of a Challenge? In fact i get a Kick out of guy’s that feel it is Some “Great Feat” To hunt Deer & Elk with a Modern Scoped inline, Sabots, 209s in a Regular Centerfire Gun Season, The ONLY thing they have successfully done is Make a Reload more difficult, These inline Rifles are EVERY BIT as accurate, and Reliable as ANY High end Centerfire, Where is the Challenge in that??? There isn’t one!!! Pick up a Traditional Looking Muzzleloader, with Open Sights, Lead Bullet or PRB, NOW head out in Regular Centerfire Gun Season with everybody else, That i MOST DEFINITELY Respect!!!
  Until i Fulfill my Trophy Class Whitetail Dream, I will probably Continue to hunt each Deer Season with 1 of my Centerfire Rifles. When/If I fulfill that Dream, I will likely Hang my Centerfires up at that point, and Go Full Muzzleloader From then on. A Real Looking Muzzleloader that is, With Open/Peep sights, No. 11 Cap, and a Big Ol Lead Bullet that fills the Bore Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dry Powder

Male Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2019-01-27

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: Hunting "sparks"   WANTED:  Hunting "sparks" Empty2019-02-08, 08:37

I am old.  Along with that I` ve harvested many a buck over the years.  Don`t shoot doe by choice. 
   As time has gone by I needed a challenge.  Rifle hunting ,for me,  didn`t offer that.
     So, I got into bow hunting.  I might add, it`s more of a challenge and far more rewarding.
    So that`s it in a nut shell.   May not be for all but for me,  I`ve found what I was looking for.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3488
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: Hunting "sparks"   WANTED:  Hunting "sparks" Empty2019-02-08, 17:16

I have a friend that went from modern weapons, to muzzleloaders, matchlock, bow modern and primitive then made it to Atlatl. 

Description of the Atlatl - The picture of the Atlatl helps to understand how this ancient weapon works! The first thing required was a spear to throw from the spear thrower.

WANTED:  Hunting "sparks" Atlatl-stick-thrower-1

WANTED:  Hunting "sparks" Atlatl-2

Ken got the DOW in Colorado to give him a special permit (DOW Agents attended the hunt) for a mule deer on our property, they even filmed the hunt.  Never got to see that film, at the DOW (probably didn't want that to get around or who knows what someone will want to harvest game with?).  

By the way, Ken Wee held the "World Record for Atlatl" throwing and accuracy for many years.

Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 495
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: Hunting "sparks"   WANTED:  Hunting "sparks" Empty2019-02-08, 17:22

Thanks for sharing that Buck, I have never even heard of an Atlatl? I can see where a guy could get powerful with that setup! I wouldn’t want hit with one! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

WANTED: Hunting "sparks"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: The Hunting Lodge :: Off Topic-Hunting Lodge-
Jump to: