Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

The “Business Rifle”

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2019-01-11

The “Business Rifle” Empty
PostSubject: The “Business Rifle”   The “Business Rifle” EmptyFebruary 2nd 2019, 9:02 pm

I haven’t showed this Rifle yet, This Barrel was a Gift from Idahoron, When Ron had this Barrel He called It the “Business Rifle” So i kept that Name when i Did my Build with the Barrel. The barrel is a 32” Green Mountain .45 Cal 1:18 Twist. I used a TC Renegade Stock, This Sight Setup is obviously for going LOOOOONG, The Long Range Soule Tang Peep Sight is a Lee Shaver’s Super Grade With Lee’s Hadley Eye Cup, The Front Sight is a 1-1/8” Tall Lee Shaver’s Adjustable windage with Bubble Level, This Front Sight is actually for Lee’s Ferris Creedmoor Rifle, It was Exactly what i needed for this Build. This Rifle Shoots REALLY well! I am Looking forward to Stretching it’s Legs this Spring/Summer when the Weather Gets Better. 
The “Business Rifle” OSU2qXGl
The “Business Rifle” ZnPallPl

The “Business Rifle” SlFDTRZl

Leveling the Staff, if you look there is Bubble level on the Barrel Flat, And a Carpenters Level on the Table just out of Sight. I got it Spot on Here
The “Business Rifle” NEBlJCql

My Buffalo Arms Elliptical Mold, .453 Diameter, this Bullet Shoots Really Well 
The “Business Rifle” CGIrIGml
The “Business Rifle” JYoRWvKl

Another Mold i had Made at Buffalo Arms, Big Paper Patch Slick
The “Business Rifle” 1ufDjRGl
The “Business Rifle” MUtu1q0l
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: The “Business Rifle”   The “Business Rifle” EmptyFebruary 2nd 2019, 9:18 pm

I hadn’t shot this thing in 6 months or more, I took it out This last Fall just before Deer Season to Throw a Few Big Lead Cylinders Down Range Very Happy  It did good, It shoots as good as i can Hold it, This Rifle and Load Shoots True 1” Groups at 100 yards when i do my part. My first Shot was Low, the Rest were in 1” no problem 

Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3653
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: The “Business Rifle”   The “Business Rifle” EmptyFebruary 3rd 2019, 6:37 am

Nice smoker Idaholewis. Seems critical to get a true vertical mount on that rear peep.  Did you mount it yourself  Question
I always wondered scratch why those long range rear peeps were so tall.  It would appear that you can only adjust (i.e., raise ) the rear sight so far while shouldering the rifle.???
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: The “Business Rifle”   The “Business Rifle” EmptyFebruary 3rd 2019, 5:23 pm

@Marty wrote:
Nice smoker Idaholewis. Seems critical to get a true vertical mount on that rear peep.  Did you mount it yourself  Question
I always wondered scratch why those long range rear peeps were so tall.  It would appear that you can only adjust (i.e., raise ) the rear sight so far while shouldering the rifle.???

Marty,  This is a REAL Specific Rifle as you can obviously tell, It is DEFINITELY Setup for Long Range Target Shooting. Getting the Staff Level to the Barrel is important, if it is “Kanted” to one side or the other, You might be Dead on at 100 Yards, But as you elevate the Peep to Shoot longer distances Your shots will Drift Farther and Farther off Target, the Farther you get out, the Worse it would get due to the “Kant” 

VERY GOOD Question on the Peep height, And Cheek Weld to the Stock? This was a Concern of mine as well, I asked Lee Shaver’s How a guy is to Compensate for that? Cheeck weld at Really Long Range when the Peep is Way up the Staff? Lee asked me if i had a Beard? I said No, Do i need one? lol!  He giggled and Said, That is about what you end up with at 1,000 Yards, A Beard Weld on the Stock, instead of a Cheek Weld Very Happy He told me that i won’t get near to the Top of the Staff, With my 100 Yard Zero Being almost Bottomed out, Lee Said i wont use much over Half to Get to 1,000 Yards. So far I don’t have anywhere here i can Actually Shoot Quite that Far, 800 Yards is as Far as i can Get, Private Land owner deal. I am looking forward to Shooting this Thing in the Spring/Summer.
Back to top Go down
skoger

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2015-09-30

PostSubject: Re: The “Business Rifle”   The “Business Rifle” EmptyFebruary 6th 2019, 8:41 am

Very nice shooting.
Back to top Go down
skoger

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2015-09-30

PostSubject: Re: The “Business Rifle”   The “Business Rifle” EmptyFebruary 16th 2019, 4:28 pm

Is this barrel, a GM made for 45/70 and just breached for ML? If so that gets me to thinking about having one made, I have 8 different .458 molds, from 300-600 grains.
Back to top Go down
Saxtonyoung

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2019-02-13

PostSubject: Re: The “Business Rifle”   The “Business Rifle” EmptyFebruary 16th 2019, 5:10 pm

Green Mountain made a small batch of these muzzleloader barrels about 12-15 years ago. I remember when they were offering them and considered buying one but didn't.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3305
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: The “Business Rifle”   The “Business Rifle” EmptyFebruary 18th 2019, 9:24 am

Lewis that ladder bar is a little overkill for the range that rifle will shoot. If it was mind I would contact Lee Shaver (he'll work with you - nice guy) get one half the height (a better choice for hunting and not getting caught on grass or limbs, etc.).

The “Business Rifle” Img2

Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: The “Business Rifle”   The “Business Rifle” EmptyFebruary 20th 2019, 6:21 am

@Buck Conner wrote:
Lewis that ladder bar is a little overkill for the range that rifle will shoot. If it was mind I would contact Lee Shaver (he'll work with you - nice guy) get one half the height (a better choice for hunting and not getting caught on grass or limbs, etc.).

Buck,  I intentionally set it up this way, I could have bought the Midrange, But My intentions with this Rifle is 1,000 Yards, I ordered the sight directly from Lee, He Told me I won’t use it all, maybe 3/4 of it. I would love to go Try the Wasserburger Mile Shoot, I would use it all up there! In this Game of Ultra Long Range it’s better to Have more adjustment than you need, and not need it, than to need it, and not have enough Very Happy

Here is a place i was given permission to shoot last year, this Spring/Summer i will be here working on some Long Range Stuff. This is a Very large section of Private owned Land. To the Back of the Lake at the White Aspen Looking trees is right around 850 Yards, We can actually get 1,000 Yards here Now. I will get some of this on Video this Spring/Summer
The “Business Rifle” WomroQT
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3653
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: The “Business Rifle”   The “Business Rifle” EmptyFebruary 20th 2019, 8:40 am

Awesome view!  
Should be a  Cool video.  Shooter
Back to top Go down
Renegadehunter

Renegadehunter

Male Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2018-10-12

PostSubject: Re: The “Business Rifle”   The “Business Rifle” EmptyFebruary 20th 2019, 9:28 am

I've never seen a nipple like that,
curious what it is?
Back to top Go down
mark1945
Forum
Forum
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: The “Business Rifle”   The “Business Rifle” EmptyFebruary 20th 2019, 12:08 pm

That looks like a Mag Spark top screws off and you use a 209 shotshell primer . I have a set on my Navy Arms 12 gauge . Pedersoli makes one similar to that also I have them on both my Pedersoli Kodiaks . Love both kinds gun always goes bang when you pull the trigger.

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: The “Business Rifle”   The “Business Rifle” EmptyFebruary 20th 2019, 10:45 pm

Mark1945 is Correct, it is a Magspark 209, The only time i ever use it is to Foul a Cold Clean Bore for hunting. When I prepare a Sidelock Muzzleloader to hunt, On a Clean bore I pop 2 Federal 209A primers straight through, Replace the Magspark 209 with my regular No 11 Nipple, Then Load. This mimics a Fouled bore and puts my 1st Cold clean Bore shot Dead on (Works like a Charm for this!) I am not fond of using 209s as a primary source of ignition in a Sidelock due to Carbon build up. So this Magspark 209 nipple see’s very little use
Back to top Go down
mark1945
Forum
Forum
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: The “Business Rifle”   The “Business Rifle” EmptyFebruary 21st 2019, 10:16 am

I cant see much difference in fouling build up in mine but I use Winchester 209 primers never tried Federal . I like the fast ignition with the 209's and have never had a hang fire or missfire with them .Regular #11 caps are almost impossible to get in this area unless you order online.

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: The “Business Rifle”   The “Business Rifle” EmptyFebruary 21st 2019, 6:46 pm

If i get below 5,000 No. 11s i get fidgety bounce  time to stock back up  lol! 

The “Business Rifle” Ap3J30ul
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3305
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: The “Business Rifle”   The “Business Rifle” EmptyFebruary 22nd 2019, 8:45 am

CCI was only used when the German caps weren't available, got better ignition from them.

The “Business Rifle” 2Q==

The “Business Rifle” Img2

Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: The “Business Rifle”   The “Business Rifle” EmptyFebruary 24th 2019, 10:43 pm

@Buck Conner wrote:
CCI was only used when the German caps weren't available, got better ignition from them.

The “Business Rifle” 2Q==

I agree Buck, Can’t beat them German Caps! But around these parts they sell for about 11-12 Dollars a Hundred, i can get the CCi Magnum 11s for 4 Dollars a 100, i have found These CCi Magnums to be darn good Caps, as much as i shoot I can’t justify the extra cost of the German Caps
Back to top Go down

The “Business Rifle”
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: