Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

How much Butter on a Butterball?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
flashpoint

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2019-01-12

How much Butter on a Butterball? Empty
PostSubject: How much Butter on a Butterball?   How much Butter on a Butterball? EmptyFebruary 3rd 2019, 3:07 pm

Haven't shot my muzzleloader yet (or even loaded it).  Was wondering, how much lube should I put on a RPB?  I will be using TC pre-lubed patches on my .45 caliber with Hornady balls.  I am planning to lube the balls with Bore Butter.  Should I apply a thin coat, medium or a generous amount?  Thank you.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16318
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: How much Butter on a Butterball?   How much Butter on a Butterball? EmptyFebruary 3rd 2019, 3:10 pm

Depending on the lube you use, the patch should still show its weave and when popped into the muzzle, only a skim layer of lube left at the crown of the muzzle.
How much Butter on a Butterball? Img_5610
Back to top Go down
flashpoint

PostSubject: Re: How much Butter on a Butterball?   How much Butter on a Butterball? EmptyFebruary 3rd 2019, 4:54 pm

Thank you Frontier.  I assume that the patches get lubed on both sides or just the side where the ball is?
And how much lube on the ball itself?  Just a thin coat?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: How much Butter on a Butterball?   How much Butter on a Butterball? EmptyFebruary 3rd 2019, 4:58 pm

Just a thin coat on one side. As you load it, the lube will squish into both sides of thr material.
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 456
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Re: How much Butter on a Butterball?   How much Butter on a Butterball? EmptyFebruary 3rd 2019, 8:26 pm

Jon, Do you use a Heat Gun to Get the Lube melted in the Patch like that 1 on the Right?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: How much Butter on a Butterball?   How much Butter on a Butterball? EmptyFebruary 3rd 2019, 8:34 pm

No that one like all my other patches gets rubbed in by thumb. The lube quickly melts down under friction and penetrates the patch.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3774
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: How much Butter on a Butterball?   How much Butter on a Butterball? EmptyFebruary 4th 2019, 9:20 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
Just a thin coat on one side. As you load it, the lube will squish into both sides of thr material.
So... if you only lube one side, does it matter which side the patch contacts the ball when loading Question  Doesn't sound like it.

There are many different lubes out there, some homemade and others off the store shelf.  Is there really a significant difference in what lube you use Question
Back to top Go down
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: How much Butter on a Butterball?   How much Butter on a Butterball? EmptyFebruary 4th 2019, 9:25 am

If your Patches are Prelubed that is all you need.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
flashpoint

PostSubject: Re: How much Butter on a Butterball?   How much Butter on a Butterball? EmptyFebruary 4th 2019, 10:56 am

Does the ball get lubed also or just the patch?  Thanks.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: How much Butter on a Butterball?   How much Butter on a Butterball? EmptyFebruary 4th 2019, 11:24 am

Just the patch
Back to top Go down
flashpoint

PostSubject: Re: How much Butter on a Butterball?   How much Butter on a Butterball? EmptyFebruary 4th 2019, 11:51 am

Thanks Frontier.
Back to top Go down
Renegadehunter

Renegadehunter

Male Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2018-10-12

PostSubject: Re: How much Butter on a Butterball?   How much Butter on a Butterball? EmptyFebruary 5th 2019, 11:44 am

I only lube one side and always put the lubed side down on the muzzle.  This way the lubed side helps it to slide down the bore and it also is the side that will get the brunt of the burning black powder when it ignites.  I use pillow ticking patches with blue stripes, one side has a lot darker blue stripe on it.  I lube the darker side and then stack them in my tin all oriented the same way.
With that being said, if you are using store bought pre-lubed patches they are lubed on both sides.  No need to orient them and the ball doesn't get lubed.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3774
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: How much Butter on a Butterball?   How much Butter on a Butterball? EmptyFebruary 5th 2019, 1:03 pm

@Renegadehunter wrote:
I only lube one side and always put the lubed side down on the muzzle.  This way the lubed side helps it to slide down the bore and it also is the side that will get the brunt of the burning black powder when it ignites.  I use pillow ticking patches with blue stripes, one side has a lot darker blue stripe on it.  I lube the darker side and then stack them in my tin all oriented the same way.
With that being said, if you are using store bought pre-lubed patches they are lubed on both sides.  No need to orient them and the ball doesn't get lubed.
"...lubed side down on the muzzle" with one siders...that's what I would have guessed.
Why the "darker" blue stripe side Question
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: How much Butter on a Butterball?   How much Butter on a Butterball? EmptyFebruary 5th 2019, 1:09 pm

The darker side I noticed is rougher texture and this IMO, is the correct way to load it. Its like a scrubbing pad for dishes, one side is smooth and the other side is rougher for better scrubbing power.
Back to top Go down
flashpoint

PostSubject: Re: How much Butter on a Butterball?   How much Butter on a Butterball? EmptyFebruary 5th 2019, 6:40 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Back to top Go down
Renegadehunter

Renegadehunter

Male Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2018-10-12

PostSubject: Re: How much Butter on a Butterball?   How much Butter on a Butterball? EmptyFebruary 6th 2019, 12:34 pm

I honestly didn't realize the darker blue side had a rougher texture, I just randomly chose that side when I started using pillow ticking to keep it the same every time I lube up some more of them, aka consistency.  Glad to hear I got it right, usually I end up on the other side of a 50-50 shot.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: How much Butter on a Butterball?   How much Butter on a Butterball? EmptyFebruary 6th 2019, 2:04 pm

Hold a non lubrd patch between your thumb and index finger nails. Drag the patch between them and you'll be able to tell which side has the rougher texture.
Back to top Go down
Hylander

Hylander

Male Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2017-11-07

PostSubject: Re: How much Butter on a Butterball?   How much Butter on a Butterball? EmptyFebruary 6th 2019, 2:13 pm

I must be the odd guy out.
I always put the rough side to the ball to grip the ball.
I also lube the whole patch all the way through.

Pietta 1858 .44 with 45 Colt Conversion
Back to top Go down

How much Butter on a Butterball?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: