Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Press Mounted Wad Punches

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2019-01-11

Press Mounted Wad Punches Empty
PostSubject: Press Mounted Wad Punches   Press Mounted Wad Punches EmptyFebruary 4th 2019, 3:26 am

Anyone use these Press Mounted Over Powder Wad punches? I bought these over at Buffalo Arms a few years ago. You can really crank out Wads with these things! These were made by Fred Cornell, I don’t believe he makes these anymore though? I am 99% Sure another maker is doing them now days for BACO

Anyone looking for High Rate volume Punches, these things REALLY get with it!
Press Mounted Wad Punches SspqYeTl
Press Mounted Wad Punches 5udR89ol

I did this in about an Hour, if that? You get in a Rythm and GO :tup2
Press Mounted Wad Punches XasoUiKl

They sure make a nice product 
Press Mounted Wad Punches ZtDKin5l

This was .060 LDPE (low density Poly) They sure fit the Bore nice, creating a Solid Seal
Press Mounted Wad Punches UhJxFgjl
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3276
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Press Mounted Wad Punches   Press Mounted Wad Punches EmptyFebruary 4th 2019, 1:24 pm

Hey Lewis, 

Why don't you do a step by step article on using your die set for making these wads, include where to purchase your dies, etc.  

Maybe able to have the boss make a 'sticky' of the process. This type of information is always value.
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: Press Mounted Wad Punches   Press Mounted Wad Punches EmptyFebruary 4th 2019, 5:06 pm

@Buck Conner wrote:
Hey Lewis, 

Why don't you do a step by step article on using your die set for making these wads, include where to purchase your dies, etc.  

Maybe able to have the boss make a 'sticky' of the process. This type of information is always value.

Quote :
Hey Lewis, 

Will do Buck,  One thing i learned rather quickly is i needed a Catch Pan of some kind? You can punch wads out at a high Rate of Speed with these things, There is no need to Fully cycle the Press, Just Enough to Punch the Wad out, then lower the Cutter Stem Just Enough to clear so you can advance the Material ahead and Punch again, i am not moving the press arm more than 1-2” at the most.
     So when you get going without a “Catch Pan” Within 6-8 Wads they have no choice but to start falling off the Top of the Die, and that leaves you trying to catch them with a 3rd hand that we don’t have Very Happy I talked to another Guy that uses these for production Wad punching, he explained to me that he uses a “Catch pan” It is just a Saucer type Dish of Aluminum etc. with a 1-2” Lip/edge around it (Little Cake Pan) It Just happened to be The Wife had a Candy Tin that she was throwing out, I noticed it and thought it would work Perfect for my needs Very Happy I Salvaged it from Doom! 

All i did was Drill out hole in the Center that was Just large enough for the Die threads to go through, I place the “Catch Pan” over the top of Reloading Press, Then Screw the Die in, this Locks the “Catch Pan” in place, Now i can Punch Wads like nobodies business and they fall off in the Pan :tup2 A guy could go with a Pan that had slightly taller sides than mine does if he chose to? But if you went to tall the Bulk material you are punching would hit the sides of the “Catch Pan” That stil wouldn’t be a problem as the bulk Material flexes, But there would be a point where to tall would be a Pain. I haven’t counted, But i would bet i can hold 500 or more Wads no problem in this thing before needing to empty it
Press Mounted Wad Punches EKMdU5xl
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Press Mounted Wad Punches   Press Mounted Wad Punches EmptyFebruary 11th 2019, 3:31 pm

What's the heaviest wad material you have cut with your setup?  silent
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: Press Mounted Wad Punches   Press Mounted Wad Punches EmptyFebruary 12th 2019, 6:26 am

@Buck Conner wrote:
What's the heaviest wad material you have cut with your setup?  silent

The largest stuff i have punched is .060 Vegetable Fiber, and .060 LDPE (low density Poly) i need to Test some 1/8” Wool felt since that is my OP Wads of Choice, I’m not even sure if these things are for Wool felt? I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t be? I will try it today and report back

These things are an Expensive investment, But if a person was gonna make, and Sell OP Wads, these things would be the way to go in my opinion.

Here is a link to them, Fred Cornell is who made them, But last i remember he wasn’t doing it anymore, and they had found someone else to produce them? But, I notice these Stil have Fred Cornell in the Description

https://www.buffaloarms.com/reloading-supplies-accessories/wad-punches/press-mounted-wad-punches
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Press Mounted Wad Punches   Press Mounted Wad Punches EmptyFebruary 12th 2019, 9:15 am

This is interesting to me as I have never used or had tried using wads on any rifled muzzleloaders, only used them on the smooth bores if shooting shot. And in some case depending on what we were doing used antelope or yearling deer hides (tanned) in place of a wad. 

Our forefathers (early 1800's didn't have wadding material) any old used cloth, wool fabric, etc. was required to be used for paper (law on the books in many colonies , states and territories in the day).
Back to top Go down
stoney1
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
stoney1

Male Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2017-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Press Mounted Wad Punches   Press Mounted Wad Punches EmptyFebruary 12th 2019, 11:18 am

@Idaholewis wrote:
@Buck Conner wrote:
Hey Lewis, 

Quote :
Hey Lewis, 

Will do Buck,  One thing i learned rather quickly is i needed a Catch Pan of some kind? You can punch wads out at a high Rate of Speed with these things, There is no need to Fully cycle the Press, Just Enough to Punch the Wad out, then lower the Cutter Stem Just Enough to clear so you can advance the Material ahead and Punch again, i am not moving the press arm more than 1-2” at the most.
     So when you get going without a “Catch Pan” Within 6-8 Wads they have no choice but to start falling off the Top of the Die, and that leaves you trying to catch them with a 3rd hand that we don’t have Very Happy I talked to another Guy that uses these for production Wad punching, he explained to me that he uses a “Catch pan” It is just a Saucer type Dish of Aluminum etc. with a 1-2” Lip/edge around it (Little Cake Pan) It Just happened to be The Wife had a Candy Tin that she was throwing out, I noticed it and thought it would work Perfect for my needs Very Happy I Salvaged it from Doom! 

All i did was Drill out hole in the Center that was Just large enough for the Die threads to go through, I place the “Catch Pan” over the top of Reloading Press, Then Screw the Die in, this Locks the “Catch Pan” in place, Now i can Punch Wads like nobodies business and they fall off in the Pan :tup2 A guy could go with a Pan that had slightly taller sides than mine does if he chose to? But if you went to tall the Bulk material you are punching would hit the sides of the “Catch Pan” That stil wouldn’t be a problem as the bulk Material flexes, But there would be a point where to tall would be a Pain. I haven’t counted, But i would bet i can hold 500 or more Wads no problem in this thing before needing to empty it
Hi Lewis
 Might I make a suggestion? Back in my old job,( Mechanical Engineer for a braze preform company), I had a Hovis Horizontal Stamping Press for stamping .080" thick Copper discs. It had a " rotating payout" table, and a "take up roller table." You could craft a large wooden roller/drum with a crank handle, and after about 10 or 15 wads, attach the crop end of the felt to the roller, then , crank the crop (scrap) onto the roller/drum. My guys used to be able to stamp 200,00 discs in an 8 hour shift. There might be a business in there? Just a suggestion.
God bless:
Stoney

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: Press Mounted Wad Punches   Press Mounted Wad Punches EmptyFebruary 13th 2019, 7:21 pm

Thank you for the Reply Stoney1, That sounds REALLY interesting!! I can picture what you are saying to a degree, I wish i could see a clearer picture of how it would work? If i could see it, I’m sure i could do it

The Bulk Material i get is in like 2ft by 2ft Squares, i cut Strips of proper width needed of this material. These Press Mounted Punches sure work a Lot better than the Old Hammer Struck method. I have 2 Really nice precision Hammer Struck punches from Buffalo Arms, .45 and .50 Cal, But i much prefer using the Press Mounted
Back to top Go down
stoney1
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
stoney1

PostSubject: Re: Press Mounted Wad Punches   Press Mounted Wad Punches EmptyFebruary 14th 2019, 5:24 am

@Idaholewis wrote:
Thank you for the Reply Stoney1, That sounds REALLY interesting!! I can picture what you are saying to a degree, I wish i could see a clearer picture of how it would work? If i could see it, I’m sure i could do it

The Bulk Material i get is in like 2ft by 2ft Squares, i cut Strips of proper width needed of this material. These Press Mounted Punches sure work a Lot better than the Old Hammer Struck method. I have 2 Really nice precision Hammer Struck punches from Buffalo Arms, .45 and .50 Cal, But i much prefer using the Press Mounted
Lewis
 I'm terribly sorry. I made an assumption without the facts. We used to get our material in rolls, 2 inches wide by .080" thick and 120 pounds, and when I saw your crop (scrap) photos, I assumed that those pieces were all one long strip, sorry.
Here's a video of the machine; in action, that I was referring to. The focus is a bit fuzzy in the beginning, but you'll get the picture (no pun intended?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKWP1zOp1PM   Start watching at about 00:00:24 seconds.
In my theory, you would just replace that "take up" table with a hand operated crank. I doubt that you'll be cranking out 1,00 pieces a minute? So a hand operated "take up" should be fine?
If you have any additional questions, please ask, I'll try to answer them?
Actually I've had guys contact me about using one of these for wads, along with Gaskets, rubber plugs, and a whole myriad of things, but I doubt that you have an extra $150,000.00 just laying around? Exclamation  Take care.
Stoney

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
stoney1

PostSubject: Re: Press Mounted Wad Punches   Press Mounted Wad Punches EmptyFebruary 14th 2019, 6:16 am

@Idaholewis wrote:
@Buck Conner wrote:
Hey Lewis, 

Quote :
Hey Lewis, 

Lewis
 Might I make one more suggestion? Try using an air hose and blow nozzle with low pressure to gently "nudge" the wads out of the way, so you don't have to "Play" with them when you get a stack? The air would dislodge each individual wad and eliminate the need to stop to clear them when they stack up. You could gently "blow" them into a box or your catch pan? Again...just a suggestion. You know how your system works, I do not, but it might give you something to think about?
 I was a mechanical engineer for 21 years before getting a job in teaching.  My job was to design and build machines plus improve our existing machine's production capabilities, so I'm always curious to see what people are up to and to try and give advice or make suggestions. Sorry, Embarassed occupational hazard. 
Stoney

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3615
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Press Mounted Wad Punches   Press Mounted Wad Punches EmptyFebruary 14th 2019, 8:18 am

Idaholewis, do you find that certain kinds of wad material ( fiber, LDPE, wool, etc.) work best with specific loads/bullets, or are the materials interchangeable without affecting accuracy Question
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: Press Mounted Wad Punches   Press Mounted Wad Punches EmptyFebruary 14th 2019, 11:31 am

Stoney1, That Video link you provided is AWESOME!! Talk about some HIGH SPPED production, HOLY COW!! A guy could definitely make a business at that rate of speed!! If i could only get this material in Rolls already cut to width i could do as you spoke of, But this stuff comes in either 2ft by 2ft Squares or 3X3 ft Squares. Again, thank you for the Video link, I enjoyed it!!
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: Press Mounted Wad Punches   Press Mounted Wad Punches EmptyFebruary 14th 2019, 11:39 am

@Marty wrote:
Idaholewis, do you find that certain kinds of wad material ( fiber, LDPE, wool, etc.) work best with specific loads/bullets, or are the materials interchangeable without affecting accuracy Question

Marty,  I have tried about every material known, including cereal box size wads, up to the .060 Vege and LDPE material, But in ALL of my Testing combined i have found that 1/8” Wool felt gives me the best performance, and with Wool i prefer going oversize, 50 in 45, 54 in 50, and 58 in 54, I have had good luck with all of it in different situations, but 1/8” Wool felt has UNDOUBTEDLY been the all around best stuff for every bullet type that i have tried, from my Paper Patch bullets, to Grease Groove. I have said for quite sometime now, if i could only choose 1 Wad Material it would no doubt be 1/8 Wool felt, it simply works everytime for me.
Back to top Go down

Press Mounted Wad Punches
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories-
Jump to: