Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Whats it like by you?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16345
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Whats it like by you? Empty
PostSubject: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-08, 19:03

Man I am SICK of this wind! Ice cold and windy the past week and am just sick of it already! I can't even get out to shoot or do anything with these gusts!

Whats it like by you?
Back to top Go down
Fishunt

Fishunt

Male Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2015-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-08, 19:19

From eastern Virginia, Gloucester county:
About 70 here today and been in the 60's last few days. They say a "strong" cold front comes through tonight and highs tomorrow in the low 40's.😂😂😝
Crappie and yellow perch are biting. Some turkeys are gobbling at first light. Will fish as much as I can until spring gobbler season arrives in April. Them it's hunting season again!!

Now, does that make you feel better or worse??

Glenn
Back to top Go down
yellowlab

Male Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2016-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-08, 19:36

32ish at daylight. high around 45, scattered light rain, light snow tonight. perfect winter steelhead weather. went yesterday only caught one, "about 8 lbs". It was a rare hatchery fish so I didn't have to release it.
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-08, 23:49

It’s been Cold and Snowy here (yesterday morning was -3) It has powder Snowed here all day today with temps in the 20s. We don’t get a lot of Wind here, the few times we get Wind Storms it is usually in the Hot Summer Months. I am ready for Spring for sure, I love it when the Turkey’s Start Gobbling :tup2
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-09, 05:38

I spoke to soon about no wind, We are getting PLENTY of it this morning, There will be lots of trees go down over this from being Froze and Brittle. Be a good time to go Cut Firewood when this Storm gets over Very Happy
Back to top Go down
CoHiCntry
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
CoHiCntry

Male Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2013-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-09, 07:02

Cold and snowy here... been in the single digits to just below zero the last few days. Some winters we get enough snow and the temperatures stay cold enough that the snow doesn’t melt all winter. This is one of those winters!  I live at 8500 feet.  Too much early snow & cold temperatures will keep us in snow until probably April at this point. I like winter and snow but would be nice if it would snow and be cold for about three months then go back to spring.

oneshot 1

Number of posts : 619
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-09, 08:24

Missouri is Missouri 12 degrees this morning, supposed to be in the 30's later on today. Freezing drizzle in the morning, 50's later on in the week.

But I have found where ever I find I like stay there. One year it was -14 Christmas Day, thought move to Louisiana. Basically they had the same problems but worse. They had cold but were nowhere set up for it.

Lived in Colorado, was a Photographer and ran the Mountains all the time. Remembering East I found I really hated the Mountains.

Most my life has been in Missouri liked living in open, flat Crop Land. Then moved to Ozark hills. Use to knowing where everything is, how the people are, the green in the Summer. Even though right now I'm letting Red Cedars, few Pine thrown in grow to have green year round. 

oneshot
Back to top Go down
mark1945
Forum
Forum
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-09, 08:57

40's and drizzle today and upper 60's and more chance of rain tomorrow then back to the 70's next week. This should be getting close to the end of winter down here in south Texas . The Bluebonnets are already blooming.

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3801
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-09, 12:33

It's been and continues to be windy here in MA.  20 m.p.h. winds constantly.  That puts my windchill at 19 degrees.
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1775
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-09, 19:03

errr... I hesitate to post this as I might get things thrown at my head. It's spring already in Florida. It was upper 70s today, I think? I was out all day and comfortable. I think it hit 80 this week? 60ish in the nights.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
RonC

Male Number of posts : 1140
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-09, 21:44

It was 90 F here in Pretoria, South Africa, yesterday. Today, it should hit 89. When my wife dropped me off at Denver International Airport , it was 9 degrees F.
Of course it is summer in South Africa.
Oh, and the 15 hour flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg is not the best way to spend a day.

Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man’s Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, It’s Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-10, 07:05

@RonC wrote:
It was 90 F here in Pretoria, South Africa, yesterday. Today, it should hit 89. When my wife dropped me off at Denver International Airport , it was 9 degrees F.
Of course it is summer in South Africa.
Oh, and the 15 hour flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg is not the best way to spend a day.

Ron
If it's not too personal, might I ask why you are in South Africa?
Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
RonC

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-10, 08:28

No problem in asking, Marty.

I had been going to SA for at least a month each year from 1999 to 2015. In 2000, I was here for 4 months. Health issues kept me from going for the 2016 to 2018 period.
The main reason for my travel was to work on cleanup of uranium and heavy metal pollution from waste associated with mining activities. I also offered short courses on mine waste remediation for several mining companies and at universities throughout the country. At one point, I had an appointment on the faculty of a university located in the main gold mining area.
This time, I am giving a keynote address to the South African Geosciences and Resource council, then I will be part of a workshop on treatment of acid mine drainage.
Then, the fun begins as I will meet with my former students and their families who I consider friends. This will include a trip to a former student's game preserve. The trip may include adventures like the one i had several years ago:
Whats it like by you? 7-14_r10

Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man’s Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, It’s Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
JLBSparks

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2015-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-10, 08:47

WOW!! Upper 30s and rain seems pretty bland compared to Ron's post.

-Joe
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-10, 10:44

well hell! its so nice today that i get to actually go out shooting!
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-10, 11:00

@FrontierGander wrote:
well hell! its so nice today that i get to actually go out shooting!

Must have warmed up to 10 degrees? lol!  That’s what it is here now, It was -2 about 5am this morning.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-10, 11:04

low 50's but zero wind!
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-10, 13:55

Great pic and congrats on that beast RonC !

Having had both water and wastewater treatment licenses I can relate and applaud your efforts in South Africa.   We only have one planet.
Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
RonC

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-10, 18:40

Marty,  that Kudu was on the game reserve owned by the student's parents. Their hospitality was amazing. They put me up in their farmhouse, fed me, handed me the 1945 Lee Enfield rifle, and took me out on the reserve. The Kudu is not a trophy size or age, but was primarily meant to be meat for the workers and the local settlement.

Back to top Go down
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-11, 06:38

I have a class tomorrow on Pipe Line Safety. Had to make sure it wasn't a repeat of the class I took before.

Took a class on taking care of Animals during a disaster. Took a class on Shelter Safety, mainly it was on Child and Senior Adult Abuse.

Was to take Swift Water Rescue but didn't I'll have to wait a few months.

Government is cutting cost on classes they will only pay for a room if it is 75 miles away and no longer pay for meals. Got a 3 day Conference this Summer. Went last year the Conference was great the room and host was worse I ever had.

I'm with H.S., O.E.M., F.E.M.A. and C.O.A.D.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-11, 07:59

@RonC wrote:
Marty,  that Kudu was on the game reserve owned by the student's parents. Their hospitality was amazing. They put me up in their farmhouse, fed me, handed me the 1945 Lee Enfield rifle, and took me out on the reserve. The Kudu is not a trophy size or age, but was primarily meant to be meat for the workers and the local settlement.
Beautiful animals.  Here's my nephew's wall-hanger from a few years ago.
Whats it like by you? Cf3cuJo
Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
RonC

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-11, 11:53

Now THAT is a nice trophy age and size.
Ron

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3490
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-11, 14:50

We got from 6 to 8 inches of snow coming back down I-70 from Grand Junction CO, once going over Spanish Fork Canyon in UT it got a little dicey at the top and hairy coming out of the mouth of the canyon with 50 mile an hour winds and blowing snow. A normal drive of 4 hours was done with these conditions last night for 6 hours of eye strain. Just finished blowing off the drive and sidewalks, started at 6AM at 19 degrees finished at noon 35 degrees, that's Utah .......

Back to top Go down
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-12, 07:42

My wife use to ride the Harley in couple feet of snow in Colorado but the snow was like sand.  She would ride up to Monarch.

That was in 1983  Shocked  Man that was a long time ago!

oneshot
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-12, 09:04

@oneshot 1 wrote:
That was in 1983  Shocked  Man that was a long time ago!

oneshot

Was Colorado still a Territory or had it reached Statehood by then .....  affraid   rendeer

Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-12, 11:10

Snowing now.  We're only to get about 4 inches.  I can hardly remember a winter so far with so little snow here in MA.
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-13, 19:27

We got hammered with Snow, That’s what I’ve been doing most of this Day. Shoveling, Plowing, Roof Raking, A Little bit of everything. It is amazing how fast the Snow can pile up here
Back to top Go down
Renegadehunter

Renegadehunter

Male Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2018-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-14, 08:50

At 700' elevation we even got some snow over the weekend, but it has now all mostly melted.  Been getting to mid 40's during the day and just at or above freezing at night.  Rain/wet snow most of the day yesterday.  Everywhere out of here is up and my favorite snowmobiling area about 45 minutes from my driveway is 6000'.  I'm thinking a ride is in order this weekend, should be lots of fresh powder to play in.  With all the snow we've gotten in the last two weeks in the mountains it may be a stuck-fest kind of ride.  Should be a good base but there will be a lot of powder on top of it.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-15, 12:47

We are like Lewis we got hit too, it came from his neighborhood. We are at 5710 feet, beat being at 6100 feet when in Colorado. We raced snowmobiles as a hobby and as a professional for Arctic Cat and McCulloch when they built them for several years, sold our last one about 15 years ago. The last sled was sold to the Colorado Search & Rescue and was told it was still running. Fun but can be lots of work.

Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-15, 14:47

I snapped a Pic on my way over to Buffalo Arms this morning, This is a 2 mile Stretch referred to as the “Rock Cuts” by the Locals, This 2 Mile stretch freezes up like this every year, And in the Spring when it Thaws you will see BIG Chunks of this stuff in the Hwy, i have seen a TON of it fall over the last 8 years

This is just a tiny little spot of it, and nowhere near the Worst of it. This is The only place you can really pull off the Rd to take a Pic.
 Whats it like by you? 01d05jL
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-16, 10:04

Same as in Northern Colorado and in Utah, we get really cold at times, old KC in FL wouldn't know what cold is, he would freeze his "pucker" off.  lol!

Back to top Go down
skoger

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2015-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-16, 16:11

The normal rainfall for a year here in KY is 40-45 inches, we had 78 last year, and are ahead of the usual amount for this year! Cant hardly put out hay bales without getting stuck, and if you step off into the yard, you will sink up to your ankle. Man am I ready for about 2-3 weeks of dry weather!
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-18, 09:17

@skoger wrote:
The normal rainfall for a year here in KY is 40-45 inches, we had 78 last year, and are ahead of the usual amount for this year! Cant hardly put out hay bales without getting stuck, and if you step off into the yard, you will sink up to your ankle. Man am I ready for about 2-3 weeks of dry weather!

In Colorado its 15 inches and Utah the average is 17 inches. People move into these states from either the eastern or western part of the country and then over plant their yards. By mid summer their plantings are hurting for lack of moisture (gets very expensive replacing plantings).  You tell them to go easy as they are living in a desert zone, they don't listen and when the city tells them they are using to much water they get upset.   nono  Dunno

Back to top Go down
Firestick

Firestick

Male Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2019-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-20, 01:13

Below zero most every night in February. Calling for a day or 2 of +20 to +30 then back down into the low teens and single digits for highs and below zero at night. February is getting old fast.
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-20, 06:03

It’s Staying steady cold here, in the low to mid Teens at Night, Snow off n on. I’ll be glad to See spring, Hear the Turkey’s Start Gobbling :tup2
Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
RonC

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-20, 07:33

It was over 90 degrees in the Kalahari Basin, about 100 miles from the Central Kalahari Desert. It is 5 miles to the border of Botswana. It felt hot with the clear skies and sun shining. At night, it becomes quite pleasant.
Now that I am back in Potchefstroom, Northwest Province, it is warm, not nearly as scorching as the Kalahari.
At the earlier part of the trip, it was rainy in Pretoria. However, the hotel room became uncomfortably warm due to "load shedding," where the power company shuts off your power for 2-4 hours while others receive theirs. Those others will have their power shut down another time. This is due to the incompetency of the managers of the power system.
I'll have some interesting stories when I return.
Ron

Back to top Go down
Dry Powder

Male Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2019-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-21, 14:07

80 degrees at the moment. May go a tad higher.    Not bad for a sunny afternoon in central Florida.  

East of Orlando and west of Daytona beach.
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-21, 18:32

@Dry Powder wrote:
80 degrees at the moment. May go a tad higher.    Not bad for a sunny afternoon in central Florida.  

East of Orlando and west of Daytona beach.

Send about 60 degrees of that this way :tup2
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like by you?   Whats it like by you? Empty2019-02-22, 08:46

We have a nice 28 degrees at the moment, may reach low 40's by 2 PM.  We haven't been home for the last week and now have to leave again with a realtor and his client wanting to look at this house at noon, so 40 degrees would be nice.

Back to top Go down

Whats it like by you?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: The Hunting Lodge :: Off Topic-Hunting Lodge-
Jump to: