Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Working on a CVA Hawken

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16222
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Working on a CVA Hawken Empty
PostSubject: Working on a CVA Hawken   Working on a CVA Hawken EmptyFebruary 9th 2019, 3:19 pm

Finally was able to get to this CVA Hawken .54cal that both my dad and I built for my brother a number of years ago. The muzzle was always super sharp and squared off so that loading a patched round ball was... well.... a REAL pain in the ass. It was so squared off that it would cut the patch when loading it up.

You can see how terrible that crown was, just completely square, no nice taper to ease strain at the muzzle while loading.
Working on a CVA Hawken Img_0320

I broke out the coning tool and supplies and went to work. I did use a power drill this time, but was very careful with it. You can do a lot of damage with its power and weight.
Working on a CVA Hawken 20190210

A little lubricating oil helps keep the shavings at the top. Anything else that drops down, will hit the oiled bore and patch that surrounds the jag. The point behind the jag is to center the coning device.
Working on a CVA Hawken 20190211
Working on a CVA Hawken 20190212
Working on a CVA Hawken 20190214
Working on a CVA Hawken 20190213

Finished project, just needs to have around 50 shots put down range with some shoot out patch lube & bore enhancer and she will be set. In the end, I can take a .530" round ball and a .020" patch, place it over the muzzle and with my thumb and a little wrist muscle, push the ball almost flush with the muzzle. I don't want it to load super easy, just enough to eliminate the need of a short starter and most importantly, keep the patch from being cut at the muzzle.
Working on a CVA Hawken Img_0321
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3693
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Working on a CVA Hawken   Working on a CVA Hawken EmptyFebruary 10th 2019, 6:57 am

Nice DIY work.  What grit sand paper using that power tool Question
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Working on a CVA Hawken   Working on a CVA Hawken EmptyFebruary 10th 2019, 10:31 am

I started with 100 grit then worked to 150-220-300-400 and 600 grit.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Working on a CVA Hawken   Working on a CVA Hawken EmptyFebruary 19th 2019, 3:27 pm

Just an update on the accuracy!

50 yards, 3 shots on the right are with lubed hunting patches and the 3 on the left are with a wet lube shooting patch.
Working on a CVA Hawken Img_0323
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3693
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Working on a CVA Hawken   Working on a CVA Hawken EmptyFebruary 19th 2019, 7:04 pm

Nothing wrong with that target !
Back to top Go down
PJ.H.

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2019-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Working on a CVA Hawken   Working on a CVA Hawken EmptyFebruary 20th 2019, 6:33 am

May I ask where you obtained the conning tool and supplies?  Thank you!
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Working on a CVA Hawken   Working on a CVA Hawken EmptyApril 13th 2019, 4:35 pm

Well hell! 90gr 3fg Goex shots beautifully in this rifle today! All patches came out looking excellent. Then I switched over to 80gr Black MZ and darn near out shot the goex group! Zero torn or cut patches! I am happy with the outcome from the muzzle coning. After seeing more results on the range, I think I took care of the cut patch issue.
Back to top Go down
mark1945
Forum
Forum
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Working on a CVA Hawken   Working on a CVA Hawken EmptyApril 13th 2019, 6:56 pm

Where did you get your coning tool ? I had a old one made by a friend years ago and like a dummy I loaned it out and havent seen it since . I like the length of yours much better then one I used to own .

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
Firestick

Firestick

Male Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2019-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Working on a CVA Hawken   Working on a CVA Hawken EmptyApril 14th 2019, 12:02 am

Wish coning tools weren't quite so pricey. I only need it for one rifle.
Back to top Go down
MattRaymond

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Working on a CVA Hawken   Working on a CVA Hawken EmptyApril 14th 2019, 1:37 pm

I made a coming tool out of a wooden closet peg. You know the ones that have a 3/8 section that glues into a 3/8 hole then flares out and tapers back down with a nub on the end to hang  coats etc on. Just cut the nub off and you end up with a wooden tapered peg. Wrap it with sand paper and go slow and carefully and you’ll be fine. I coned a few barrels with it and they all came out well with no cut patches.
Back to top Go down
MattRaymond

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Working on a CVA Hawken   Working on a CVA Hawken EmptyApril 14th 2019, 1:38 pm

It won’t have the jag to help center the cone , but if you go slow and keep it square, you’ll be alright
Back to top Go down
mark1945
Forum
Forum
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Working on a CVA Hawken   Working on a CVA Hawken EmptyApril 14th 2019, 1:50 pm

The one I used to have was brass but it never had a centering cone either .I did same thing just went slow and careful .

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down

Working on a CVA Hawken
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Gun Builders Bench-
Jump to: