Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ash1055

Male Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2019-02-13

CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems Empty
PostSubject: CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems   CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems EmptyFebruary 13th 2019, 4:02 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am an absolute newbie here and with muzzle loading. I put together a CVA Hawkins .50 cal kit. It all came together nicely with the exception of the hammer. it will not fall to the nipple. It's stops at half cock. when I remove the hammer from the rifle and examine the mechanism it appears to function properly and fall forward as designed. 
Any suggestions or adjustments I need to make would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Rob
Back to top Go down
JLBSparks

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2015-03-04

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems   CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems EmptyFebruary 13th 2019, 5:40 pm

Check your lock inletting.

-Joe
Back to top Go down
Renegadehunter

Renegadehunter

Male Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2018-10-12

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems   CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems EmptyFebruary 14th 2019, 8:58 am

Yes, it must be binding on the wood somewhere.  Also make sure you're not tightening the lock down too much, that is a common mistake.  I take mine to just getting snug and then back it off a half turn.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16313
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems   CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems EmptyFebruary 19th 2019, 3:16 pm

I've had this happen and its normally the triggers are out of adjustment. Another possibility is the fly is sticking. Does the lock work while its out of the stock?
Back to top Go down
MattRaymond

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems   CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems EmptyFebruary 19th 2019, 4:44 pm

Could be that the screw that holds the lock on is a bit too long and the hammer hits it as it is falling. Not a big deal, you might just be able to file a few threads off the end so it doesn’t interfere when the screw is tightened through the stock.
Back to top Go down
ash1055

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems   CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems EmptyFebruary 21st 2019, 7:03 pm

Thanks everyone. I will give those things a try. I will try and get some pictures up as well.
Rob
Back to top Go down
ash1055

PostSubject: Frontier Gander    CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems EmptyFebruary 21st 2019, 7:04 pm

Yes the hammer has no issues outside of the firearm.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems   CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems EmptyFebruary 24th 2019, 5:23 pm

most likely just out of adjustment and the trigger spring is not hitting the sear with enough force to drop it all the way down onto the nipple.
Back to top Go down
JLBSparks

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems   CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems EmptyFebruary 24th 2019, 6:49 pm

@ash1055 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am an absolute newbie here and with muzzle loading. I put together a CVA Hawkins .50 cal kit. It all came together nicely with the exception of the hammer. it will not fall to the nipple. It's stops at half cock. when I remove the hammer from the rifle and examine the mechanism it appears to function properly and fall forward as designed. 
Any suggestions or adjustments I need to make would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Rob
This is what I took away from the original post.

-Joe
Back to top Go down
JLBSparks

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems   CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems EmptyFebruary 24th 2019, 6:57 pm

Well, it looks like my "quote" skills are lacking.
"When I remove the hammer (lock?) from the rifle and examine the mechanism it appears to function properly and fall forward as designed."
This is what I meant to highlight.

-Joe
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems   CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems EmptyFebruary 24th 2019, 7:25 pm

CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems Img_4512
CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems Img_4510
CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems Img_4511
Back to top Go down

CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Gun Builders Bench-
Jump to: