Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Cost to build a kit

Go down 
AuthorMessage
PJ.H.

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2019-02-04

Cost to build a kit Empty
PostSubject: Cost to build a kit   Cost to build a kit EmptyFebruary 14th 2019, 3:11 pm

N
Thinking of building a kit however I have no tools, finish, barrel blueing or browning, etc.  I am trying to decide if it will be cost effective over buying a finished flintlock.  I am retired and have the time and I believe the ability.  Any advise would be much appreciated.  Thanks so Much!
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3767
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Cost to build a kit   Cost to build a kit EmptyFebruary 14th 2019, 5:19 pm

I've been contemplating the same PJ.H.  I would only feel comfortable doing a build with the folks here on this forum.  Tons of high grade experience here.  I believe I have the needed woodworking skills...but not metal finishing... nor knowledge of proper  assembly fitting of the parts. 
Thanks for asking that question for me.  Can't wait to here the replies.
Back to top Go down
yellowlab

Male Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2016-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Cost to build a kit   Cost to build a kit EmptyFebruary 14th 2019, 6:40 pm

I built a t/c hawken and a traditions deerhunter years ago. Both were factory kits, not in the same league as building from scratch. Been thinking about building a small bore flinter. Im retired now so I have the time but not the money. Before it was had the money but not the time. Im waiting for replies also.
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Cost to build a kit   Cost to build a kit EmptyFebruary 15th 2019, 7:47 am

You can likely get a kit and have someone put it together for you. This might save you some money over a custom finished gun and it will allow you to customize.  Another method of going about this is to gather parts and put them together to get what you want. Pecatonia River has a lot of stocks that can be had pre-inletted. You need to purchase a barrel and a lock.  They sell those too if you like what they have. You can get a Green Mountain T/C barrel off Ebay for anywhere from $100-230 dollars or from TOTW for $249. An L&R lock will cost you $185 new from them. Now get a Pecatonia River stock - Hawken style will run $175-$220 and full length style will run $200-$260 depending on grade. The easiest way to get the hardward is to get a stock from Ebay that has the breach, patchbox, triggers, pinion shields and buttplate and these are listed right now for $100-$225 depending on whether it has a lock or not (less expensive with percussion lock). Gathering these parts cost you around $780 using the mid-range. There are several skilled people that will put it together for around $250-$400. This will mostly be the stock finishing and proper inletting. This puts you right over $1000. It is not a whole lot less than buying a used finished gun, a production gun or a low-end TVM finished rifle. But, the wait time to completion is weeks instead of months.  You can choose your own wood and the finish, the stock dimensions and any extra embellishment. I've just went this route and am pleased with the outcome. .54 GM barrel w/ 1:70 on Ebay for $145. Renegade stock with all hardware for $135. L&R lock from them at $185. Pecatonia River stock for $195. I'm at $660 there.  Strong Eagle in NE finished the stock with silver inlay initials, a perfect fit and finish that I chose and some strengthening and bedding for $250. I chose to have him blacken the barrel and re-blacken the original hardware to match for a few dollars more. I am right at $1000 and collected all the parts in a matter of two weeks, sent it off and had it back in two months. It does not resemble any particular era rifle, it is somewhat unique. Fast, accurate flintlock that fits me right and looks like a million bucks. These are just some suggestions and examples of what you can look into instead of a straight up "kit".
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3443
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Cost to build a kit   Cost to build a kit EmptyFebruary 19th 2019, 9:55 am

If you start looking at good kits they start in the $700 dollar range and up, and that much for to have it assembled at a minimum - so for what you spent your in the ball park.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16313
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Cost to build a kit   Cost to build a kit EmptyFebruary 19th 2019, 3:53 pm

If you the knowledge of basic wood working skills that todays kits need, you can do it.

There isn't much cost difference but the big difference is... At the end of the project, YOU were the one that was able to control the quality of work put into the kit gun, vs a factory gun that will come with its acceptable scratches left in the wood that was then stained and finished over.

I love kit guns. Not all are perfect, but neither is a factory gun.

Are you willing to put in the time and patience on a kit gun build? Do you have the basic tools for inletting, stock shaping, bluing/browning the barrel?  You should figure these out first because these tools add up very quickly in cost.

Keep in mind, I am talking about affordable kit guns like Traditions and Lyman.

Cost to build a kit 46458010
Cost to build a kit 100_1110
Cost to build a kit 100_1910
Cost to build a kit 100_1310
Cost to build a kit 100_2611
Cost to build a kit 100_0810

Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Cost to build a kit   Cost to build a kit EmptyFebruary 19th 2019, 7:17 pm

Very helpful information guys.  

FG, those are all mighty-fine smokers you built there.  I would have a difficult time to say the least in deciding which one to hunt with.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3443
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Cost to build a kit   Cost to build a kit EmptyFebruary 20th 2019, 9:22 am

I would decide which was the best shooter, lightest, least funds invested.  Hunt guns no matter how careful you are will get a ding or rub mark that always will upset you. I try to use these items, sounds good and about 60% of the time it doesn't work and I finally throw those thoughts out .....    Dunno

Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Cost to build a kit   Cost to build a kit EmptyFebruary 20th 2019, 2:17 pm

The first ding or scuff is always a bummer on shinny new hunting rifles, but thereafter I just consider them "character" markings.
Back to top Go down

Cost to build a kit
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Gun Builders Bench-
Jump to: