Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 

Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
muznut

muznut

Number of posts : 738
Registration date : 2012-01-24

PostSubject: Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?   February 18th 2019, 2:10 pm

I bought a new bh209 plug from cva and it blows out the 1mm oring I use in the primer pocket every shot. I use this oring in four other barrels including this one with another breech plug and it doesn't happen. I realize with the deeper powder pocket there will be more pressure on the primer but I have other plugs modified the same way that dont. I found no burs in the primer pocket, clean the flame channel with a 1/8 drill bit and the action closes just fine with a lil extra force for the oring. Also i was testing with only 95 gr of bh209 and a 230gr bullet. So any ideas ?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16042
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?   February 18th 2019, 2:30 pm

Check the primer end that rests against the firing pin bushing. Any deep marks in it? The newer cva's use a larger screw driver slot and so maybe when the gun goes off, the primer embeds a bit into the firing pin bushing and allows the o ring to break seal enough to leak.
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
muznut

muznut

PostSubject: Re: Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?   February 18th 2019, 3:19 pm

I should have mentioned its the Apex and no grooves on the breech face. I tried fed209a and cci mag primers.the first fed209a sealed well the 1st shot and I thought oh great but then after all orings blew out.  scratch
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?   February 18th 2019, 4:03 pm

Sounds like it needs more shimming.

On the Apex my dad had, I used to use a paper hole puncher and punch out shims from a pop can, then use a hollow punch and knock a hole out in the center. Something to try out and see if it helps. Use one pop can shim with the o ring. Add more if needed.
Back to top Go down
smokering

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2018-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?   March 4th 2019, 4:47 pm

I'm having the same problem with my cva accura. Shot 3 shots with pyro, no problem. Then shot 3 with black horn, first 2 blew o rings, one so bad couldn't get primmer out with fingers. Went back to pyro on last shot with no problem. Using cci mags with good resistance. Win 209;s are too long and create a gap between plug and frame
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?   March 4th 2019, 4:58 pm

that really is odd. I never had this happen so im not sure what cva has done differently the past few years.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?   March 4th 2019, 5:20 pm

Can someone please take a pic of the primer pocket in their breech plugs and the firing pin area?
Back to top Go down
smokering

PostSubject: Re: Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?   March 4th 2019, 9:20 pm

Trying to send pic's but cant get them to load on forum. Not real savvy with these robot boxes. I guess
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?   March 4th 2019, 9:22 pm

email them to me at frontiermuzzleloading@gmail.com
Back to top Go down
smokering

PostSubject: Re: Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?   March 4th 2019, 9:53 pm

Sent pic's. I might try a .005 shim next time I shoot.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?   March 5th 2019, 9:37 pm

Smokering - Do you still have the original breech plug? If so, install it AND the o ring into it and take it shooting and see if the o ring blows out. Something doesnt look right about the blackhorn209 breech plug in the picture. Could just be shadow, but it just seems off. If the factory plug works clean without blowing it, you got a faulty BH209 plug.
Back to top Go down
smokering

PostSubject: Re: Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?   March 5th 2019, 11:33 pm

Will do. I also have another Black horn plug from a previous cerakoted cva, it isn't married to the barrel of the nitride gun and leaks a little at the threads but will work for comparison. I have measured all 3 with micrometer and found only a few thousandths difference. However the nitride plug with issues has the flash hole offset just a hair on the powder chamber end. I have tried the shims also with mixed results on both plugs. Seems there is too much flame to squeeze through flash hole without causing too much back pressure. Love the accuracy of the gun, just wish I could get a seal . Thanks for the advice..
Back to top Go down
dbowling

Male Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2014-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?   March 6th 2019, 7:34 am

looks like the hole in the  BH plug is off center or as John said may be a shadow.
Back to top Go down
smokering

PostSubject: Re: Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?   March 8th 2019, 12:48 pm

O rings are blowing by just snapping primers. Mad
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?   March 8th 2019, 4:12 pm

Got the other pics. That flash channel looks way off center! Its no wonder its blowing them.
Back to top Go down
smokering

PostSubject: Re: Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?   March 8th 2019, 5:14 pm

It's centered, just the angle I guess. Got 3 black horn plugs and a  regular plug. All did it. recleaned them and dried them, no oil and fired around 8 primers between the 3 plugs with no issues, all clean
Will try with black horn again this weekend if the rain holds off. Maybe the mineral oil I use to prevent rust was an issue, was putting a drop in primer pocket then blowing out excess and snapping primer through it prior to loading.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?   March 8th 2019, 5:18 pm

Could be. Something just doesn't seem right at all.
Back to top Go down
smokering

PostSubject: Re: Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?   March 10th 2019, 5:31 pm

Shot 6 shots today, Used 110g black horn with no issues with the o ring blowing. The only thing I can think of was the drop of oil I was putting in breach plug when storing the gun. Or the cold breach plug making the o ring not pliable. Weather was near 70 vs 40 when I was having issues.
Back to top Go down
hunting savage

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2014-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?   March 15th 2019, 7:01 pm

I AWEATHERM NEW TO BLACK HORN MY CVA PLUG LOOKS LIKE THAT ONE. HUNTING SA
EASON IN MI ITS 40 TO ZERO IF THIS IS PROBLEM MAYBE NOT GOOD IN COLD
Back to top Go down
hunting savage

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2014-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?   March 15th 2019, 7:03 pm

I AM NEW IT STARTS OUT
Back to top Go down
muznut

muznut

PostSubject: Re: Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?   March 23rd 2019, 7:24 pm

I did fix that breech plug by drilling the primer pocket deeper and installing a #60 o'ring. Its thicker and stronger than the
1mm o'ring.
Back to top Go down

Why does my new cva bh209 breech plug blow the 1mm primer oring every shot?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: