Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

WHY OH WHY German SILVER

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Firestick

Firestick

Male Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2019-02-18

WHY OH WHY German SILVER Empty
PostSubject: WHY OH WHY German SILVER   WHY OH WHY German SILVER EmptyFebruary 24th 2019, 10:54 pm

Restoring a CVA Mountain rifle. My best friend gave me a CVA MR he "built" from a kit just before he died last summer. he said he put it together in 1981 and never used it.Well it wasn't finished very well and he fired it once he said and put it away. So after my cancer treatments were finished and I started to recover I began to refinish it. Everything is being blued or "blacked". Got down to the patch box and the darned thing is German Silver. Nothing I have tried has given it a permanent dark patina so I guess SILVER it shall be. GRRRRRR
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16164
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: WHY OH WHY German SILVER   WHY OH WHY German SILVER EmptyFebruary 24th 2019, 11:03 pm

yep, that patch box is hard to tarnish. It looks good though! The nose cap is pewter. Post when pictures when you can!
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Firestick

Firestick

PostSubject: Re: WHY OH WHY German SILVER   WHY OH WHY German SILVER EmptyFebruary 28th 2019, 5:23 pm

Sorry I don't use an image hosting site. Only pics I have are on my computer.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: WHY OH WHY German SILVER   WHY OH WHY German SILVER EmptyFebruary 28th 2019, 6:03 pm

thats ok, you can upload them directly from your computer onto our site. Once you hit send all, the picture uploads with a green status bar, and when that stops, just hit the insert all button and the picture will post on the forum where you type.
WHY OH WHY German SILVER Postin10
Back to top Go down
Firestick

Firestick

PostSubject: Re: WHY OH WHY German SILVER   WHY OH WHY German SILVER EmptyMarch 1st 2019, 12:44 am

I'll give it a shot and see how bad I an mess it up. If it isn't made of wood I can do great things to destroy it. BWAHAHAHA
Back to top Go down
Firestick

Firestick

PostSubject: Re: WHY OH WHY German SILVER   WHY OH WHY German SILVER EmptyMarch 1st 2019, 1:03 am

WHY OH WHY German SILVER Dsc_0010
Back to top Go down
Firestick

Firestick

PostSubject: Re: WHY OH WHY German SILVER   WHY OH WHY German SILVER EmptyMarch 1st 2019, 1:13 am

Everything but the barrel and its components have been polished the best i can and cold blued. Of course the danged patchbox we won't talk about!!! Working on the barrel tonight. Under rib, rod thimbles and sights have been done. Now onto the big ol barrel. Going to take a little work I think. after this is finished on to wet sanding the stock with 1/3 tru oil and 2/3 solvent to fill wood pores and give it a smooth surface for staining and finishing. I chose Kona for the color of stain. Supposed to be a dark chocolaty brown. Never used it so we'll see. Will wet sand with 220 and a light finish sand with 320. Sanding between coats with 320. When cured a light wiping with Ballistol and let sit for a few days then buff it up with a a terry cloth.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: WHY OH WHY German SILVER   WHY OH WHY German SILVER EmptyMarch 1st 2019, 1:39 am

very nice! I would have kept all the steel on the wood ( if shaping still needs to be done ) then blued all the parts.

DOn't be afraid to polish that wood with as much as 2000 grit. Leaves them beautifully smooth!

this cva mountain rifle I did with 600 grit sand paper. Lots of fine sanding, whiskering and more sanding.
WHY OH WHY German SILVER 100_2612

Looks like you got a fun project on your hands! I love building an rebuilding those old guns.
Back to top Go down
Firestick

Firestick

PostSubject: Re: WHY OH WHY German SILVER   WHY OH WHY German SILVER EmptyMarch 1st 2019, 3:46 am

The only part that needed to be fit was the butt plate. The heel hung over and caught on things so I took the drmel tool to it then a fairly fine tooth grobet file to it then some final fitting with sand paper. After it was fit proper I removed it and sanded everything with 320 then over to the buffing wheel. I don't believe the parts or wood of the stock is worth the effort of a super finish. The quality is not there. I am pretty sure the stock is beech. sanding with a mixture of tru oil and thinner twice fills in the pores very well with a perfect color match. sand with 220 after the first full strength coat then 320 or even 400 between coats gives a very very nice finish. I was in charge of finishing custom cabinets, desks, did many gunstocks, an antique rocking chair that most would have tossed in the garbage and every single customer was very satisfied. Sanding with very fine sandpaper works but only with would that is very hard like hardrock maple, birdseye maple. It works well with english walnut as well but you MUST fill in the open pores with lots of prep or it is all for not. I think this will turn out well. My only question is did I choose the right stain for beech.
Back to top Go down
Fishunt

Fishunt

Male Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2015-05-27

PostSubject: Re: WHY OH WHY German SILVER   WHY OH WHY German SILVER EmptyMarch 1st 2019, 6:38 pm

Jonathan, your rifle above appears to have a matte/satin finish. Is that correct?
Regardless of what it is I like the look and have a 40'ish year old shotgun (Ithaca Model 51) that I roughed up a little and I would like to attempt to refinish and have it look similar. Keep in mind that I'm not a wood worker and have minimal experience. Would you give a detailed step by step on how a novice should approach this project?
Many thanks
Glenn
Back to top Go down
DaveG

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2019-02-17

PostSubject: Re: WHY OH WHY German SILVER   WHY OH WHY German SILVER EmptyMarch 3rd 2019, 7:36 pm

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Blackenit.html
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3305
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: WHY OH WHY German SILVER   WHY OH WHY German SILVER EmptyMarch 9th 2019, 7:12 pm

Neat website Dave.

WHY OH WHY German SILVER Img2

Back to top Go down

WHY OH WHY German SILVER
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Gun Builders Bench-
Jump to: