Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Bird hunting with BP Shotguns

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16344
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Empty
PostSubject: Bird hunting with BP Shotguns   Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Empty2019-02-26, 00:41

Looks like fun!!
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3801
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Bird hunting with BP Shotguns   Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Empty2019-02-26, 06:33

Pheasant hunting is certainly exciting and I did a ton of it when I lived in PA .  I was always amazed at how well they could hide in low ground vegetation...practically stepping on them before they took flight.
Unfortunately MA has neither the open space nor stocking program to even bother going out.
Back to top Go down
mark1945
Forum
Forum
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Bird hunting with BP Shotguns   Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Empty2019-02-26, 09:57

I have done some Dove hunting with my double barrel . Lots of fun but cant keep up with the birds tons fly by while your reloading ,buts thats just part of it

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3490
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Bird hunting with BP Shotguns   Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Empty2019-02-26, 10:35

@Marty wrote:
Pheasant hunting is certainly exciting and I did a ton of it when I lived in PA .  I was always amazed at how well they could hide in low ground vegetation...practically stepping on them before they took flight.
Unfortunately MA has neither the open space nor stocking program to even bother going out.

When they take off that makes your heart skip a few beats. Shot a lot of birds with the muzzleloaders (pheasants) in PA as well as CO. Pheasants and Wild Turkeys were always good shooting and better eating in both states. Like Mark says you'll spend more time reloading than shooting, ducks and geese now that's a different story with a muzzleloader in Jan season (smoke just hangs over your head longer) in the cold.

Here's what I shoot if not using the NW Trade Gun.

Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Moore-1840-2

Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Moore-1840-1

Antique British Percussion by Charles Moore - serial number #417 – Circa 1830’s. Charles Moore is known as one of the forefathers of the modern double-gun. His designs resulted in numerous patents, he performed conversions from flintlock to percussion's on some of the finest pieces of the time for dignitaries & royalty. Probably best known building some of the best dueling pistols of the era. In 1827 James Woodward started as an apprentice for Moore & later became his business partner, the company was eventually sold to Purdy. The hand built quality is quite obvious – fit & finish is superb – fancy detailed metalwork. Engraving is found on the side-plates, hammers, trigger guard, butt plate, nose cap & the screw heads. The metal is in the white with shades of light gray, no rust or pitting issues. The 30” barrels have a Damascus pattern – no dings or dents. The bores are excellent; bright & shiny with no visible corrosion. Mechanically sound; functions properly – the last owner shot this from time to time & actually hunted game birds with it! The stock is a nice grade of walnut – checkered - high gloss finish showing off the dark grain. There are no cracks or repairs just minor handling marks. Weighs 7 pounds - 46" long - bore diameter .625". 

Moore must have built hundreds if not thousands of these guns that looks just like this as I see them every once in a while for sale at the collectors sites.

Last edited by Buck Conner on 2019-03-06, 11:24; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
heelerau

heelerau

Male Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2018-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Bird hunting with BP Shotguns   Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Empty2019-02-27, 02:56

I am currently busting crows with a 16 gauge J Egg percussion double and a Percussion converted  Joe Manton single barrel. I have got crows with both ! Got a lot of duck years ago with my  W&C Scott 12 gauge percussion double, oh ! and a few rabbits with it too !!

Last edited by heelerau on 2019-03-02, 00:01; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Bird hunting with BP Shotguns   Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Empty2019-02-27, 06:03

That looks like a LOT of Fun!! I had a 12 Gauge Barrel for my TC New Englander, I ended up trading it for a Blackpowder Pistol, Kinda wish i had Kept that Shotgun Barrel, They are hard to find for the New Englander, and Bring a Mint when you do see one
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Bird hunting with BP Shotguns   Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Empty2019-02-27, 07:20

@heelerau wrote:
I am currently busting crows with a 16 gauge D Egg percussion double and a Percussion converted Manton single barrel. I have got crows with both ! Got a lot of duck years ago with my  W&C Scott 12 gauge percussion double, oh ! and a few rabbits with it too !!
D for "Durs"??
Wow, crow huntin' Down Under!  Can you hunt crow year-round, and do you use then same shot loads for both crow and duck Question
Back to top Go down
Firestick

Firestick

Male Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2019-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Bird hunting with BP Shotguns   Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Empty2019-02-27, 21:41

Looks like fun!
Back to top Go down
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

Number of posts : 619
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Bird hunting with BP Shotguns   Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Empty2019-02-28, 12:55

I've killed bunch of Turkeys with my Double Barrel 12. Got to get them 20-25 yards.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
mark1945
Forum
Forum
mark1945

PostSubject: Re: Bird hunting with BP Shotguns   Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Empty2019-02-28, 13:02

Getting ready for Turkey season now .Spring season for me starts on the 16th . Think Im gonna use my Pedersoli double this year .Put full chokes in both barrels should give me a decent range.

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Bird hunting with BP Shotguns   Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Empty2019-03-01, 10:22

@mark1945 wrote:
Getting ready for Turkey season now .Spring season for me starts on the 16th . Think Im gonna use my Pedersoli double this year .Put full chokes in both barrels should give me a decent range.
Do you have a favorite turkey load for that 12ga Question
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Bird hunting with BP Shotguns   Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Empty2019-03-01, 11:13

Starts March 13th here and in Colorado.  Will use my GRRW Collectors Association NW Trade Gun in .50 caliber (.32 gauge) with a variety of loads available (need to test this weekend) ?  Should be a simple hunt on private land owned by a Cabela's manager (good friend) with some large flocks seen this past weekend.

A .50 caliber round is not a gauge (some claim it is .32 gauge in smoothbore) it is usually measured in caliber, in this case the weapon that fires it is smoothbore shotgun. 

Load suggestion from various old books and catalogs.

.32 gauge = 50 grains 3 FFF Goex - 11/16 oz.  No #7.5 shot, normal wads used and same powder used for flintlock ignition. Using 7.5 shot to get the most pellets possible at close range.

Bird hunting with BP Shotguns 2Q==

Back to top Go down
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

PostSubject: Re: Bird hunting with BP Shotguns   Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Empty2019-03-01, 12:36

My Gun both Barrels are Fixed Modified Chokes.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
heelerau

heelerau

PostSubject: Re: Bird hunting with BP Shotguns   Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Empty2019-03-02, 00:00

@Marty wrote:
@heelerau wrote:
I am currently busting crows with a 16 gauge D Egg percussion double and a Percussion converted Manton single barrel. I have got crows with both ! Got a lot of duck years ago with my  W&C Scott 12 gauge percussion double, oh ! and a few rabbits with it too !!
D for "Durs"??
Wow, crow huntin' Down Under!  Can you hunt crow year-round, and do you use then same shot loads for both crow and duck Question
 Open season on crows ever day of the week down under, I need to correct myself, it is Joseph Egg. Got a crow from my rocking chair with it yesterday,  it was raiding our fig tree ![img]Bird hunting with BP Shotguns 46329822355_86e5f69d2bP1030164 by Gordon Hazel, on Flickr[/img]

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Bird hunting with BP Shotguns   Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Empty2019-03-02, 07:46

From your rocking chair Laughing ...now that's original !
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Bird hunting with BP Shotguns   Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Empty2019-03-02, 09:24

@Marty wrote:
From your rocking chair Laughing ...now that's original !

Isn't that neat, you can't get any better than that.  Mike will try and shoot from his bed.....   Shocked

Last edited by Buck Conner on 2019-03-03, 09:21; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
heelerau

heelerau

PostSubject: Re: Bird hunting with BP Shotguns   Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Empty2019-03-03, 05:54

Shootin' crows is tough work, you have to stand up to reload.

oneshot 1

PostSubject: Re: Bird hunting with BP Shotguns   Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Empty2019-03-05, 10:41

Had to laugh one time. I came out of the woods. Agent stopped me asked me about shooting I told him it was me unloading my Shotgun.

He said no it was two fast shots. I told him it was me I was using my Double Barrel.  Cool Cool I never seen one can I look at it? Sure.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
mark1945
Forum
Forum
mark1945

PostSubject: Re: Bird hunting with BP Shotguns   Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Empty2019-03-05, 12:14

Marty I use a 1 ounce load of 6's and use the same measure for my 2FF powder have had best luck with a decent pattern shooting that load.

Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
muzzleloader48

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2017-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Bird hunting with BP Shotguns   Bird hunting with BP Shotguns Empty2019-03-31, 12:53

@FrontierGander wrote:
Looks like fun!!

Hey Jon, remember that grouse you got with your BP shotgun? That was fun watching.
Back to top Go down

Bird hunting with BP Shotguns
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: The Hunting Lodge :: Off Topic-Hunting Lodge-
Jump to: