Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Clean Out Screw?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

Number of posts : 589
Registration date : 2012-04-23

Clean Out Screw? Empty
PostSubject: Clean Out Screw?   Clean Out Screw? EmptyMarch 8th 2019, 7:01 am

Got a Rifle and after a few years it wouldn't fire. Took the Clean Out Screw out, buggerd it up, so got a New one.

But there was crud in there, cleaned it out Fires just fine.

Thing is I'm continuing to take the Screw out and cleaning this way. Should I continue to take it out or just the Nipple ?

Maybe get another Clean Out Screw just in case?

oneshot
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10342
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Clean Out Screw? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean Out Screw?   Clean Out Screw? EmptyMarch 8th 2019, 7:44 am

I always take it out when cleaning.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Clean Out Screw? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean Out Screw?   Clean Out Screw? EmptyMarch 8th 2019, 8:09 am

i dont even bother with it. I wrap the threads in white plumbers tape and it comes out easy when ever i do remove it. Its just a hole where they cross drill the drum/bolster.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Clean Out Screw? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean Out Screw?   Clean Out Screw? EmptyMarch 8th 2019, 8:14 am

It's easier to clean the channel through the cleanout screw hole than the nipple hole. I use pipe cleaners with metal barbs made for gun cleaning.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Clean Out Screw? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean Out Screw?   Clean Out Screw? EmptyMarch 8th 2019, 8:36 am

in all my years, i can honestly say, not once have i ever cleaned that area out with anything. Sounds to me like the screw is a little short and creating a pocket which attracted some fouling and built up.

Back to top Go down
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

Clean Out Screw? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean Out Screw?   Clean Out Screw? EmptyMarch 8th 2019, 4:23 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
in all my years, i can honestly say, not once have i ever cleaned that area out with anything. Sounds to me like the screw is a little short and creating a pocket which attracted some fouling and built up.

No it was on up in the channel. I always slap the side to make sure Powder got to the Nipple. Funny first cap it wouldn't fire, second cap it would but since I started taking the Screw out and cleaning no more problem.

Big problem when your looking at Deer and Hogs.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
Mocons

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2018-07-30

Clean Out Screw? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean Out Screw?   Clean Out Screw? EmptyMarch 9th 2019, 6:53 am

As long as you are removing the screw on a regular basis it should be fine, Id have spare(s) however. Then, that is me, I tend to drop the little bugger..
mocons
Back to top Go down
Renegadehunter

Renegadehunter

Male Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2018-10-12

Clean Out Screw? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean Out Screw?   Clean Out Screw? EmptyMarch 11th 2019, 10:59 am

When I inherited my TC Renegade the "clean out" screw was already stuck in it.  I didn't try to force it since all that would do is bugger the head up badly.  It'll need drilled out if I ever really want to remove it.
I just leave it alone and clean with the bucket of water method and don't have any FTF issues unless I swab crud into it while shooting with too tight of a jag/cleaning patch combo.

Out of curiosity, do you clean with some other method than a bucket of water?  I'm a firm believer in syphoning water in and out through the nipple (with it removed) to get that area nice and clean.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Clean Out Screw? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean Out Screw?   Clean Out Screw? EmptyMarch 11th 2019, 11:05 am

I always flush with soap and water but I still like to scrub the breech channel through the clean out screw hole. I also use a scraper and steel bristle brush down the bore to clean the face of the breech channel.

I also use nothing but black powder and musket caps.

I'm picky about reliable ignition 100% of the time. Important when hunting for bear.
Back to top Go down
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

Clean Out Screw? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean Out Screw?   Clean Out Screw? EmptyMarch 12th 2019, 8:28 am

@OldMtnMan wrote:
I always flush with soap and water but I still like to scrub the breech channel through the clean out screw hole. I also use a scraper and steel bristle brush down the bore to clean the face of the breech channel.

I also use nothing but black powder and musket caps.

I'm picky about reliable ignition 100% of the time. Important when hunting for bear.

I use Soap and water and now taking out the Clean Out Screw, got a Brush for it and Pipe Cleaners.

Use Pyrodex RS and Number 11 Caps because can't find any other around here.

Going to continue taking the Clean Out Screw out and go with if it isn't broke don't fix it.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Clean Out Screw? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean Out Screw?   Clean Out Screw? EmptyMarch 12th 2019, 9:08 am

Very few of us can buy black powder locally. I buy online and it's easy. Delivered right to my door and I still pay less than what they charge for real BP in gun shops. They don't jack up the price online and that more than makes up for HazMat and shipping.

I find it hard to understand how some can do everything traditional and not use black powder.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Clean Out Screw? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean Out Screw?   Clean Out Screw? EmptyMarch 12th 2019, 11:26 am

Oneshot, what rifle you shooting?
Back to top Go down
Firestick

Firestick

Male Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2019-02-18

Clean Out Screw? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean Out Screw?   Clean Out Screw? EmptyMarch 12th 2019, 3:24 pm

@OldMtnMan wrote:
Very few of us can buy black powder locally. I buy online and it's easy. Delivered right to my door and I still pay less than what they charge for real BP in gun shops. They don't jack up the price online and that more than makes up for HazMat and shipping.

I find it hard to understand how some can do everything traditional and not use black powder.
Believe it or not some of us out in the world can't afford more than a can or 2 of powder at a time. Add $20 haz mat fee to that and it is not a workable solution. Being disabled I live on a very small budget. Not too uncommon really. Black powder is not popular around here and finding others to go in on an order isn't much of a possibility.
Back to top Go down
oneshot2

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2019-03-13

Clean Out Screw? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean Out Screw?   Clean Out Screw? EmptyMarch 13th 2019, 4:21 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
Oneshot, what rifle you shooting?

CVA Hawken.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
flashpoint

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2019-01-12

Clean Out Screw? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean Out Screw?   Clean Out Screw? EmptyMarch 18th 2019, 8:19 pm

OK, the only screw I see on my Seneca is a small one on the left side of the breech directly opposite of the lock on the right side.  Is that  the screw you folks are talking about?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Clean Out Screw? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean Out Screw?   Clean Out Screw? EmptyMarch 18th 2019, 11:51 pm

No thats where they cross drill the patent breech on your hawken. Don't mess with that one.

This is on a CVA drum,
Clean Out Screw? Img_0325
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2018-06-08

Clean Out Screw? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean Out Screw?   Clean Out Screw? EmptyMarch 19th 2019, 6:43 am

I use electrical contact cleaner. It comes with the little red hose and it is under pressure. The spray can be sent through the nipple or with the nipple removed. The high alcohol content and the pressure of the spray do a good job of cleaning the area. I have one Traditions rifle that this screw does not come out of and another where there is no screw slot. I guess the previous owner buggered the slot and then filed it smooth and blackened. Using the contact cleaner and once in a while a pipecleaner or Q-Tip the drum is kept clean and I've not experienced any issues.
Back to top Go down

Clean Out Screw?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: