Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Cleaning soap?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
flashpoint

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2019-01-12

Cleaning soap? Empty
PostSubject: Cleaning soap?   Cleaning soap? EmptyMarch 15th 2019, 1:30 pm

I see on here that everyone it seems has a recipe to clean their muzzle-loader of fowling after shooting it.  Several have mentioned that Murphy's Oil Soap does a great job.  So here is what I am planning to do: run a bore brush down the barrel to loosen anything, then swab he barrel with T/C #13 bore cleaner till the patch comes out clean. Then I would immerse the barrel in hot water with Murphy's soap and running patch(s) till it is clean dry and clean.  Once that's done, I will run a patch with T/C Bore Butter to finish the job.  I shoot a .45 T/C Seneca and the bore is in great shape.  Does this sound like a good regimen?  Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16313
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Cleaning soap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning soap?   Cleaning soap? EmptyMarch 15th 2019, 2:08 pm

Personally, you're wasting $$ and patches with the #13 cleaner, its nothing more than contact lens cleaner ( water less ) When you clean with hot soapy water, you're doing more good than the tc cleaner is.

If you're happy with the results and are not getting rust or rusty patches at the end of 3 days, I'd say you are fine.
Back to top Go down
Stubert

Stubert

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2019-02-10

Cleaning soap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning soap?   Cleaning soap? EmptyMarch 15th 2019, 2:12 pm

I stopped using bore butter years ago, Clean it --oil it.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10394
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Cleaning soap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning soap?   Cleaning soap? EmptyMarch 15th 2019, 2:12 pm

I won't comment on what you want to do but I think it's too much. I'll explain what I do.

First thing I do while the barrel is still dry is use a scraper on the breech face. Then I take out the nipple and clean out screw and run a stiff pipe cleaner in the breech.

Then fill a bucket with warm water and dawn soap. I stick the breech end of the barrel in the bucket and pump the water in and out with patch and ramrod. After than I dump the water out and fill again with plain water and pump that though.

After that I use dry patches to dry the bore. When dry I hold the breech end of the barrel over a burner on the stove to heat it up and dry any moisture left in the breech channel.

Then I run some of Jon's rust preventative on a patch down the bore and i'm done.

4-5 min at the most.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10394
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Cleaning soap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning soap?   Cleaning soap? EmptyMarch 15th 2019, 2:23 pm

I forgot to ask you. What are you using for powder? My system is for real black powder.
Back to top Go down
flashpoint

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2019-01-12

Cleaning soap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning soap?   Cleaning soap? EmptyMarch 15th 2019, 3:12 pm

Thanks, some good advice.  Old Mountain I am using Goex 2F.  Wow Frontier, I am surprised that #13 is like a lens cleaner?  How crazy is that?  From their manual T/C implies that using a "natural" lube such as their Natural Lube 10000  is recommended rather than a petroleum based oil.  I guess you have read this but they say their test gun fired over 1000 rounds with no need to wipe the bore.  I am not against using oil to keep the rust away (any recommendation?). Then to get the oil out so it doesn't soak into the powder when I'm going to shoot again what would you suggest?
Back to top Go down

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2016-08-04

Cleaning soap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning soap?   Cleaning soap? EmptyMarch 15th 2019, 3:26 pm

So many ways people do this. And if they aren't getting rust, I'd say use what works for ya. 

I have been using hot dawn dish soap water first with nipple in. Then with nipple out. 
Then using hot water to rinse. Dry with a few patches while barrel is still warm. 
Then running 2 or 3 patches with oil on them down the barrel. Screw nipple back in and wipe down exterior. In a day or two I hit it with another oil patch. 

I run 2 or 3 dry patches down bore prior to shooting. Then I fire a primer with ramrod down the barrel and a patch on it. Then I do that again. Then I load and go hunting. 

Been using pyrodex but went to goex and now trying Swiss this year. But again, many ways to skin this cat.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16313
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Cleaning soap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning soap?   Cleaning soap? EmptyMarch 15th 2019, 3:38 pm

Yeah I read all that TC stuff they claim lol. Its funny because their stuff is paraffin wax based and mineral oil which is of course, a form of petro. This lube used to be called young country lube 103 until it was told to TC.

Any time you use a lube in the bore ( except for mine ) it must come out. We do this by running a damp patch with denatured ( or regular ) alcohol, then dry patch the bore. If you have some compressed air, shoot it into the nipple and it will blow out any alcohol remaining.

If what you are using now, works for you, keep it at it. But don't be afraid to experiment and try something a lot more simpler.
Back to top Go down
Renegadehunter

Renegadehunter

Male Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2018-10-12

Cleaning soap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning soap?   Cleaning soap? EmptyMarch 18th 2019, 11:07 am

My method is soapy water too, although I use cold because I get flash rust every time I use even warm let alone hot water.  I've read this could be from chlorine in the tap water, will have to dry distilled one of these times to see.  Cleans just as well, but more care is required to make sure everything is dried out.  I remove the nipple and throw it in a small container with some hot water and Hoppes BP solvent or Birchwood/Casey #77 cleaner.  Then put breach end of barrel in a bucket of cold tap water with a couple drops of dish soap.  Run a patch and jag through the bore several times.  Change to plain water and rinse with several passes.  If the water colors very much I'll change it one more time and rinse again.  Drain all water out of barrel and start running dry patches to dry the barrel out.  I do this with the muzzle end of the barrel lower than the breech end.  After the first couple of dry patches I blow air through the nipple hole to drive out as much water as possible with a dry patch sitting against the breech.  Once patches are coming out completely dry, I pour a cap full of Denatured alcohol down the muzzle so that it comes out the nipple hole.  With breech higher than muzzle I blow air through again and patch again.  Then it gets a patch of rust inhibitor of your choice, I've been using Ballistol with no rust issues, but live in a pretty low humidity area.  Clean nipple, put some anti-seize on the threads and reinstall.  Give all metal a wipe down with damp Ballistol patch.  I store muzzle down.  I run a patch of Denatured alcohol through it before loading the next time.  Whole process takes me about 15-20 minutes.
Like they all said above, if what you're doing now doesn't show any rust, it's working fine.
Back to top Go down
JLBSparks

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2015-03-04

Cleaning soap? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning soap?   Cleaning soap? EmptyMarch 18th 2019, 6:47 pm

I use Dawn, and throw the nipple in the same bucket. After rinsing, I dry everything with the air line in my shop. Then Aerokroil .

-Joe
Back to top Go down

Cleaning soap?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: