Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

A rifle is more accurate.....

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16313
Registration date : 2008-05-19

A rifle is more accurate..... Empty
PostSubject: A rifle is more accurate.....   A rifle is more accurate..... EmptyMarch 19th 2019, 7:55 pm

though, slower to load.

Why would it be slower to load  than a smoothbore? Both use a patch or wadding of some sort.

Watching the Colonian gunsmith of Williamsburg and heard that while loading some powder tubes.
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: A rifle is more accurate.....   A rifle is more accurate..... EmptyMarch 20th 2019, 9:02 am

It is slower if.  If you need a short starter. If you are using patches that cut at muzzle.  If you are trying to seat a conical with perfect alignment. Lots of if's. I can load my smoothbore somewhat faster. Drop powder, stick card ball and card at muzzle and push. If I need to reach for the shot tube it takes a bit longer than that. With my rifles I drop powder, tap the lock. Set patch material over muzzle and start ball. Use short starter. Cut patch material. Get ramrod and set. Just a bit longer.....
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3441
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: A rifle is more accurate.....   A rifle is more accurate..... EmptyMarch 28th 2019, 3:36 pm

I use and shoot both smoothbores and rifled guns (muzzleloaders) all the time. I find smoothbores are faster (easier) to load when shooting round balls for the simple reason of not having the resistance of the rifling. If you have a load worked up for each gun you'll know what effort is needed to set the ball and push the powder, patch and ball down you'll see what I mean about resistance.

Back to top Go down

A rifle is more accurate.....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: