Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Homemade Black Powder

Go down 
AuthorMessage
tashaner

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-10-04

Homemade Black Powder Empty
PostSubject: Homemade Black Powder   Homemade Black Powder EmptyApril 3rd 2019, 1:14 pm

Just curious who all is just making their own powder? I make mine with Willow charcoal. I press it to 1.7g/cc and corn it. Velocities with my Hawken and that powder show a standard deviation of just 23 fps (vs 43 for Goex).

I make it for about $5 a pound and it burns cleaner than Goex (it's faster also).

I've done a ton of research and have a lot of information regarding manufacture and internal ballistics.

Anyone?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Black Powder   Homemade Black Powder EmptyApril 3rd 2019, 2:36 pm

Tried it once, but i can not find GOOD charcoal around here or the wood i need to make it.
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Black Powder   Homemade Black Powder EmptyApril 3rd 2019, 3:16 pm

Would like to try!
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3725
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Black Powder   Homemade Black Powder EmptyApril 5th 2019, 6:38 am

I'd certainly be interested in knowing how you make your own quality powder tashaner.  Are there any safety cherry  concerns if you don't make it properly  Question
Back to top Go down
tashaner

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Black Powder   Homemade Black Powder EmptyApril 8th 2019, 9:37 am

@Marty wrote:
I'd certainly be interested in knowing how you make your own quality powder tashaner.  Are there any safety cherry  concerns if you don't make it properly  Question

Ball Milling a combustible mix is always dangerous. I minimize this by doing what is called a 2-component mix that limits the milling time of the complete mix to about an hour. Other than that, just basic safety.

I make my own charcoal, usually willow or maple. I get the potassium nitrate from a feed store and the sulfur online.
I modified a Harbor Freight 6lb Tumbler so it would turn at the optimum RPM and cast linotype (hard lead) .490 balls for the milling media. I run one jar at a time, as it weighs 6lbs with the media.

Mix A is all the potassium nitrate and 1/3 of the charcoal. This creates a non-combustible mix at 15:1 ratio.
Mix B is all the sulfur and 2/3 of the charcoal. Also non-combustible.
Both are ball milled for 3 hours.
I then sieve the two mixes together and ball mill the final mix for 1 hour.

Once that is done, I press the mill dust into pucks with a little water. Each puck is 2 1/2" diameter and 1/4" thick. I use an amount of powder so the pressing creates a puck that is 1.7g/cc in density. I use a HF 6-ton bench press.

These pucks are then left to dry. Once dry, I break them up and grind them into the proper granulations.

The weight to volume ratio is very close to commercial powder, it burns cleaner and shoots more consistent. I get a standard deviation of over 40 with commercial, while my homemade is giving me around 20.

Takes  little time, but it's satisfying.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3725
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Black Powder   Homemade Black Powder EmptyApril 9th 2019, 6:14 am

Thanks tashaner for sharing your science. Smile
Back to top Go down
mechteacher

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2019-04-13

PostSubject: Wet mix BP   Homemade Black Powder EmptyApril 13th 2019, 6:32 pm

You tube has a - "make black powder R1"- video that works well.  
You can check fire works making for charcoal.
This is a wet system that keeps if non-flammable until the very end.

Last edited by mechteacher on May 12th 2019, 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
heelerau

heelerau

Male Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2018-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Black Powder   Homemade Black Powder EmptyApril 16th 2019, 9:38 pm

Tashaner,  I like the idea of how you mix it. I was thinking off getting some brass balls as milling media, but I do have linotype so could make them out of that.  I was thinking of a gem tumbler as a mill. I have the same problems as others here, in getting hold of willow. What temp do you charcoal your wood?

Homemade Black Powder
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Powder Room-
Jump to: