Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

What are you fishing for?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3693
Registration date : 2009-02-03

What are you fishing for? Empty
PostSubject: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 6th 2019, 7:13 am

Aside from winter ice fishing, what species are you fisherman going after this year as we enter the warm weather season Question

Doesn't matter if your're a fresh water guy or salt water. (Do you use a boat, tackle choice, artificials or live bait?).   As a boater I'm after lake trout/salmon with trolling lures and live minnows. Also smallmouth bass with hard and soft artificials.  I use bottom bouncers weights for both species.
Back to top Go down
ElkFever

ElkFever

Male Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2016-01-31

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 6th 2019, 7:39 am

Our fly fishing club is heading to Salida to fish the Arkansas on 4/20 and then off to the Green river below Flaming Gorge for 4 days of fishing - all for trout on a fly rod
Mike
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 6th 2019, 8:11 am

@ElkFever wrote:
Our fly fishing club is heading to Salida to fish the Arkansas on 4/20 and then off to the Green river below Flaming Gorge for 4 days of fishing - all for trout on a fly rod
Mike
I'm sure you can't bounce wait for that trip!  Fly fishing for trout remains my all-time favorite fishing sport.  Wish I now had the trout water resouces close-by like I once had in PA. Tied all my flies myself including streamers, nymphs, wets and drys.  Fly fishing is a very addicting sport.  Frustrating Mad too when the trout are rising to anything but what's in your fly box.  Even more frustrating when size matters. Rolling Eyes

Good luck matching the hatch and let us know how you do when you return. Smile
Back to top Go down
Firestick

Firestick

Male Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2019-02-18

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 6th 2019, 6:28 pm

Rainbows, crappie, walleye and channel cats. Ice still on the lakes but quickly melting. SOON BABY SOON.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16225
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 6th 2019, 6:36 pm

my friend brought his boat over thrusday and we stripped it out ( old john boat ) got the foam all dried, new wood going down this thursday, replacing all the ropes and straps, got the 25 hp eveinrude running nicely. I think the carb needs rebuilt, but we'll chance it and give it a try out on the lake Shocked

We like to use kastmaster lures for trout and walleye. I've also caught bass on the  same lure, so they are not to picky. Cat fish to!
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 7th 2019, 6:46 am

I fish from the bank. Live on a Trout Stream so yes Rainbow Trout. I like fishing for Redhorse Suckers, Catfish and Crappie.

ElkFever use to live in Salida, use to be able to Bait Fish by where I lived but hear it has changed.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 7th 2019, 7:18 am

@Firestick wrote:
Rainbows, crappie, walleye and channel cats. Ice still on the lakes but quickly melting. SOON BABY SOON.
What do you use to catch those tasty walleye  Question
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 7th 2019, 7:45 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
my friend brought his boat over thrusday and we stripped it out ( old john boat ) got the foam all dried, new wood going down this thursday, replacing all the ropes and straps, got the 25 hp eveinrude running nicely. I think the carb needs rebuilt, but we'll chance it and give it a try out on the lake Shocked

We like to use kastmaster lures for trout and walleye. I've also caught bass on the  same lure, so they are not to picky. Cat fish to!
Sounds like the boat is going through a needed overhaul...just like I had to do a few years ago.  If your 25 hp is a two stroke and has some age to it, you might want to also check gaskets.  With serious starting and running problems, my 1993 two-stroke 15 h.p.Evenrude went through a rebuild last year.  A major gasket between the cylinders was deteriorated and leaking cooling water into the cylinders.  I also had the electrical power pack replaced.  It cost me about $400 parts/labor to have a professional do it, but it literally runs like new now.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10256
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 7th 2019, 8:38 am

Always fly fishing for trout. The Arkansas River runs through my town, so I fish it a lot. I also like all the local creeks. They keep me in the same places I hunt and that's a good thing.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 7th 2019, 10:14 am

@Marty wrote:
@FrontierGander wrote:

Sounds like the boat is going through a needed overhaul...just like I had to do a few years ago.  If your 25 hp is a two stroke and has some age to it, you might want to also check gaskets.  With serious starting and running problems, my 1993 two-stroke 15 h.p.Evenrude went through a rebuild last year.  A major gasket between the cylinders was deteriorated and leaking cooling water into the cylinders.  I also had the electrical power pack replaced.  It cost me about $400 parts/labor to have a professional do it, but it literally runs like new now.

Yep, it is the 2 stroke made in 1982! No water in the cylinders, runs great, just has that lag when you give it trottle, like its choked off and not opening up all of the way. A carb kit is only $16 so I am going to have my friend buy that later on so we can take it apart and rebuild it. Probably could use some new jets for higher elevation as well. Hell, now that I mentioned that, that's probably the choked off problem with it no revving up quickly, needs more air/fuel for the 7300 ft elevation.
Back to top Go down
Firestick

Firestick

Male Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2019-02-18

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 8th 2019, 12:33 am

@Marty wrote:
@Firestick wrote:
What do you use to catch those tasty walleye  Question
Leadhead chartreuse jigs with maribou tails and Rapala jigging lures when fishing from shore. I have even caught walleye and saugeye with yellow woolybuggers on the Yellowstone with a flyrod and sinking line.
Back to top Go down
Dry Powder

Male Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2019-01-27

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 8th 2019, 7:40 am

Living in central Florida there is only one ……..Bass.

The St John`s river is just a stone`s throw from my house.   Fish during the week as the weekends 
      it`s loaded with every type of boat know to man kind.   

Going to Lake Okeechobee the first week in May.   Have fished it many times for fun and club 
         Tourney`s.   Now, there`s a Bass lake.  

Fish most of the lake systems around central Fl.   Mostly use 'plastics.'  Spinner baits in pad fields.
     Everybody has certain baits they like and which produce.  Course, lots of folks use shiners .

Bass fishing is year round and if your lucky and retired,  and have a bass boat, life is really good.
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1773
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 8th 2019, 12:21 pm

My friends have asked to fish for Grouper on our next salt trip. I have not gone for this fish, yet.

I tend to be a bobber watcher on a bank or a pier if left alone to my own devices.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 9th 2019, 6:20 am

@Dry Powder wrote:

The St John`s river is just a stone`s throw from my house.   Fish during the week as the weekends 

Going to Lake Okeechobee the first week in May.   Have fished it many times for fun and club 

Fish most of the lake systems around central Fl.   Mostly use 'plastics.'  Spinner baits in pad fields.
     Everybody has certain baits they like and which produce.  Course, lots of folks use shiners .

Bass fishing is year round and if your lucky and retired,  and have a bass boat, life is really good.
You got some serious bucket-mouth, hog fishin' down there.  I have yet to break my personal best 7 lb. Largemouth.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 9th 2019, 6:24 am

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
My friends have asked to fish for Grouper on our next salt trip. I have not gone for this fish, yet.

I tend to be a bobber watcher on a bank or a pier if left alone to my own devices.
From the looks of your Avatar, I see you only need one eye to watch that bobber Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 9th 2019, 7:17 am

My summer home has Redfish, Black Drum, Trout and Flounder in abundance. We have a State season and a Federal season for Red Snapper. There are many other species but these are the primary focus species. I was surprised to learn the fresh water options are extremely good around here too. Lakes have White Bass and Striped Bass. The creek next to my house has Talapia and the pond down the street has Largemouth Bass. I would rather fish than anything and I prefer fishing from the boat.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 9th 2019, 7:51 am

@Sparkitoff wrote:
My summer home has Redfish, Black Drum, Trout and Flounder in abundance. We have a State season and a Federal season for Red Snapper. There are many other species but these are the primary focus species. I was surprised to learn the fresh water options are extremely good around here too. Lakes have White Bass and Striped Bass. The creek next to my house has Talapia and the pond down the street has Largemouth Bass. I would rather fish than anything and I prefer fishing from the boat.
Access to Striped Bass and Flounder...nice!
Back to top Go down
dbowling

Male Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2014-01-22

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 9th 2019, 7:44 pm

Crappie, Catfish and big redear/bluegill.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 10th 2019, 8:53 am

@dbowling wrote:
Crappie, Catfish and big redear/bluegill.
Pan-fish are a LOT of fun to battle if you use ultra-light gear.  I'll load-up my 5 foot rod with 2 lb. Test and my 5 1/2  footer with 4 lb. Test.
Back to top Go down
Dry Powder

Male Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2019-01-27

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 11th 2019, 5:41 am

@Marty wrote:
@Dry Powder wrote:

You got some serious bucket-mouth, hog fishin' down there.  I have yet to break my personal best 7 lb. Largemouth.
A 7 lb Bass where you live is considered a big Bass.  Hope you do the catch and release thing.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 11th 2019, 6:29 am

You're right Dry Powder.   Largemouths grow MUCH slower up here in the colder Northeast.  A 7 lb. largemouth up here will be older than a 7 lb. Largemouth down your way.  
Personal best smallmouth for me is 5 lbs.
I release all my bass.  Freshwater bass are great sport fish, but not the best for eating.  I find them a little on the strong-tasting side.
Back to top Go down
Renegadehunter

Renegadehunter

Male Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2018-10-12

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 22nd 2019, 12:41 pm

Channel Cat, smallmouth bass, cutthroat & rainbow trout, and then steelhead this fall.
My absolute favorite is fly fishing for Cutthroat, I love watching them take it off the top when they are taking dry flies well.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 23rd 2019, 6:49 am

@Renegadehunter wrote:
Channel Cat, smallmouth bass, cutthroat & rainbow trout, and then steelhead this fall.
My absolute favorite is fly fishing for Cutthroat, I love watching them take it off the top when they are taking dry flies well.
Wow,  nice to have access to the trout family! 
Do the trout waters you fish have the cats and smallmouths also, or do you go elsewhere for them Question
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 23rd 2019, 10:44 am

Caught 7 nice trout on saturday! I threw them all back as I didn't want to have to mess with that when I got home lol.. I was a little sore after paddling that canoe all day.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? EmptyApril 23rd 2019, 2:26 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
Caught 7 nice trout on saturday! I threw them all back as I didn't want to have to mess with that when I got home lol.. I was a little sore after paddling that canoe all day.
Cleaning fish (trout especially) was always a ritualistic chore in our family after walking the stream banks all day.  The trimmings were thrown in the garden as fertilizer and the fish in the freezer.  If I lived a little closer to you I would have gladly taken that mess off your hands! Smile
Back to top Go down

What are you fishing for?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Fishing Forum :: Fishing-
Jump to: