Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!


Muzzleloading Forum
 
HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Share
 

 What are you fishing for?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
PaulK

PaulK

Number of posts : 52
Age : 63
Location : NE Minnesota
Registration date : 2016-12-07

What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty2019-04-23, 17:30

Just got back from 4+ months in a Cedar Key, Florida. Inshore fishing for speckled trout and redfish on the grass flats and backwaters on the fly. Back home now on my home rivers (Lake Superior tribs) in NE Minnesota steelhead fishing- on the fly
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3799
Age : 63
Location : Massachusetts
Registration date : 2009-02-03

What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty2019-04-24, 05:26

@PaulK wrote:
Just got back from 4+ months in a Cedar Key, Florida. Inshore fishing for speckled trout and redfish on the grass flats and backwaters on the fly. Back home now on my home rivers (Lake Superior tribs) in NE Minnesota steelhead fishing- on the fly
Superior sure has its share of great trout fishing tribs.  I only know of one, the Brule River, from others that have fly fished it for the hatches.
Back to top Go down
PaulK

PaulK

Number of posts : 52
Age : 63
Location : NE Minnesota
Registration date : 2016-12-07

What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty2019-04-24, 07:12

@Marty wrote:
@PaulK wrote:
Just got back from 4+ months in a Cedar Key, Florida. Inshore fishing for speckled trout and redfish on the grass flats and backwaters on the fly. Back home now on my home rivers (Lake Superior tribs) in NE Minnesota steelhead fishing- on the fly
Superior sure has its share of great trout fishing tribs.  I only know of one, the Brule River, from others that have fly fished it for the hatches.
The Brule is a great river. I spend a lot of time on it in the fall. Spring time I spend on MN’s north shore where I live. Heading out as soon as I finish typing. Massachusetts eh? I grew up on the South Shore in Marshfield. Fished for everything that swam in the inshore waters.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3799
Age : 63
Location : Massachusetts
Registration date : 2009-02-03

What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty2019-04-24, 15:39

PaulK, while living in MA did you have an opportunity to fish for the Stripers  Question
Back to top Go down
Renegadehunter

Renegadehunter

Male Number of posts : 105
Age : 46
Location : Idaho
Registration date : 2018-10-12

What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty2019-04-24, 15:59

@Marty wrote:
@Renegadehunter wrote:
Channel Cat, smallmouth bass, cutthroat & rainbow trout, and then steelhead this fall.
My absolute favorite is fly fishing for Cutthroat, I love watching them take it off the top when they are taking dry flies well.
Wow,  nice to have access to the trout family! 
Do the trout waters you fish have the cats and smallmouths also, or do you go elsewhere for them Question

No, I fish for catfish in the Snake River, smallmouth in the Snake River and Main Clearwater River, and the Cutthroat and Rainbows in the Northfork of the Clearwater, Kelly Creek, Southfork of the Clearwater, Lochsa, and Selway.
The Snake River and Clearwater are right out my front door (Lewiston is at their confluence), all the others except the Northfork are 2 hours away, and the Northfork is 3 hours away.  My favorite thing to do in the whole world is to spend a week camping and fly-fishing on the Northfork.
Here is a pic of the Northfork, hard to find better scenery and the fishing is outstanding.  Kelly Creek feeds into this and is also great fly-fishing.  Both are artificial single barbless hook only.  The Northfork you can keep two fish a day, cutthroat have to be over 14" and any size rainbow.  Most just release them.  Kelly Creek has the same restrictions except it is strictly catch and release.
What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Img_0710
Back to top Go down
PaulK

PaulK

Number of posts : 52
Age : 63
Location : NE Minnesota
Registration date : 2016-12-07

What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty2019-04-25, 04:46

@Marty wrote:
PaulK, while living in MA did you have an opportunity to fish for the Stripers  Question
Marty, fished for strippers and blues all the time. My family still lives there so I still get back and fish the beaches with my brothers. Always wait till after Labor Day and things quiet down.
Back to top Go down
PaulK

PaulK

Number of posts : 52
Age : 63
Location : NE Minnesota
Registration date : 2016-12-07

What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty2019-04-25, 04:50

Renegadehunter, you live in some super country. I have fished the  Lochsa and Clearwater. Kelly creek is on my list of rivers to get to.
@Renegadehunter wrote:
@Marty wrote:
@Renegadehunter wrote:
Channel Cat, smallmouth bass, cutthroat & rainbow trout, and then steelhead this fall.
My absolute favorite is fly fishing for Cutthroat, I love watching them take it off the top when they are taking dry flies well.
Wow,  nice to have access to the trout family! 
Do the trout waters you fish have the cats and smallmouths also, or do you go elsewhere for them Question

No, I fish for catfish in the Snake River, smallmouth in the Snake River and Main Clearwater River, and the Cutthroat and Rainbows in the Northfork of the Clearwater, Kelly Creek, Southfork of the Clearwater, Lochsa, and Selway.
The Snake River and Clearwater are right out my front door (Lewiston is at their confluence), all the others except the Northfork are 2 hours away, and the Northfork is 3 hours away.  My favorite thing to do in the whole world is to spend a week camping and fly-fishing on the Northfork.
Here is a pic of the Northfork, hard to find better scenery and the fishing is outstanding.  Kelly Creek feeds into this and is also great fly-fishing.  Both are artificial single barbless hook only.  The Northfork you can keep two fish a day, cutthroat have to be over 14" and any size rainbow.  Most just release them.  Kelly Creek has the same restrictions except it is strictly catch and release.
What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Img_0710
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3799
Age : 63
Location : Massachusetts
Registration date : 2009-02-03

What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty2019-04-25, 12:39

@PaulK wrote:
@Marty wrote:
PaulK, while living in MA did you have an opportunity to fish for the Stripers  Question
Marty, fished for strippers and blues all the time. My family still lives there so I still get back and fish the beaches with my brothers. Always wait till after Labor Day and things quiet down.
Sounds like an angler's paradise having access to BOTH great freshwater and great saltwater fishing!
Back to top Go down
Renegadehunter

Renegadehunter

Male Number of posts : 105
Age : 46
Location : Idaho
Registration date : 2018-10-12

What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty2019-04-25, 13:37

@PaulK wrote:
Renegadehunter, you live in some super country. I have fished the  Lochsa and Clearwater. Kelly creek is on my list of rivers to get to.

I just typed a big response and somehow lost it all.
It is beautiful country.  The Lochsa is getting to be pretty good fishing since they went to catch and release above whatever milepost it is, I can't remember off the top of my head.  Just above 3 Rivers a ways.  It still doesn't rival Kelly Creek and the Northfork, but its getting close.
When you make it to Kelly Creek, make sure to try some fishing in Black Canyon and the main river below Kelly Forks Ranger Station.  I actually prefer the main river, you can get away from some of the other fisherman a little easier.  We like to camp around the Bungalow, but will camp up near Cold Springs sometimes too.
In late August / early September the kokanee are spawning and run up the main Northfork.  They are a very red color and fun to see.  The fishing is a bit slower that time of year, but seem to catch bigger fish.  I haven't been up there that late in years, as I'm archery elk hunting in September.
Avoid the week of the 4th of July and the week right after.  It is a zoo during the week of the 4th and it takes another week for the fishing to get better again after they were all poked in the lip by all the people fishing.
Back to top Go down
afishhunter

afishhunter

Male Number of posts : 16
Age : 64
Location : Idaho
Registration date : 2019-02-14

What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty2019-05-08, 21:14

What am I fishing for? Any fish that is dumb enough to bite my lure or baited hook.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3799
Age : 63
Location : Massachusetts
Registration date : 2009-02-03

What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you fishing for?   What are you fishing for? - Page 2 Empty2019-05-13, 15:43

@afishhunter wrote:
What am I fishing for? Any fish that is dumb enough to bite my lure or baited hook.
I first became interested in fishing when I was probably around 9 years old.  I didn't care what I caught so long as I caught something.  That's a great attitude to hang onto. Wink
Back to top Go down
 
What are you fishing for?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Fishing Forum :: Fishing-
Jump to: