Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Temp rendezavous shelter set up?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16345
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Temp rendezavous shelter set up? Empty
PostSubject: Temp rendezavous shelter set up?   Temp rendezavous shelter set up? Empty2019-04-11, 16:46

Im looking to build something very simple, 3 poles maybe, then drape a canvas tarp ( without the modern grommet ). This shelter just has to be big enough for 2 of us to sit or lay under while we're on site, selling/trading goods.

I have something like this in mind, but a little more simple.

Does anyone have some info on something that may suite me better?
Temp rendezavous shelter set up? 31472510
Back to top Go down
stoney1
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
stoney1

Male Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2017-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Temp rendezavous shelter set up?   Temp rendezavous shelter set up? Empty2019-04-16, 10:49

@FrontierGander wrote:
Im looking to build something very simple, 3 poles maybe, then drape a canvas tarp ( without the modern grommet ). This shelter just has to be big enough for 2 of us to sit or lay under while we're on site, selling/trading goods.

I have something like this in mind, but a little more simple.

Does anyone have some info on something that may suite me better?
Temp rendezavous shelter set up? 31472510
Frontier Gander
 Nope...that looks about as close to a MM setup as you'll get? I'd say the only thing missing is a camp fire; a canvas side flap, and maybe a fleshed hide on a stretcher? Looks rite comfy to me! Save me a spot!
Good luck with the blanket trades. MAN... I just remembered what all I missed about Rendezvous'.  Lord...the memories I have!!
Stoney

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3801
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Temp rendezavous shelter set up?   Temp rendezavous shelter set up? Empty2019-04-16, 11:08

Without knowledge of your setup being "era" correct FG, it certainly looks primitive enough to serve the purpose of a portable shelter. 
Trivial as it is, I wonder scratch what they used in the day as a ground stake to tie-down their pole ropes...wood or metal...??
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3490
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Temp rendezavous shelter set up?   Temp rendezavous shelter set up? Empty2019-04-17, 11:35

Jonathan the biggest problem were you'll be setting up is rain, wind and dust blowing off and on getting all your wares dusty and damp.  There are lots of other designs that are correct, over the years I have used anything from just a drop cloth to a 20 foot tipi.

Look at these folks, good prices, great quality.  http://www.pantherprimitives.com/furtrade.html

For hunting or just short stays a single pole tent works very nicely - look at Panther's "Hunter Tent", sets up fast, original called a "Pyramid Tent" popular in The War of 1812.  Have wore out two of these from the hard use in hunting camps and bad weather.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Temp rendezavous shelter set up?   Temp rendezavous shelter set up? Empty2019-04-17, 11:53

Buck, I plan on waterproofing this material. Its basically going to be a sun shade for my buddy and I when I set up my trade blanket. I don't have a ton of stuff to bring, so everything will fit into a waterproof container and be taken back to camp once  the day is over or its raining. I ended up buying the 9x12 which is plenty big for what we intend to use it for. Just have to find some poles in the mountains.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3490
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Temp rendezavous shelter set up?   Temp rendezavous shelter set up? Empty2019-04-18, 10:52

One of the best and least expensive material is a high thread count king size bed sheet 200-300 thread count treated with canvas water proofing, light and strong.  Pike used these when exploring in southern Colorado Territory.

In the corner use smooth small river rock to prevent tearing the material, make a pocket with corner, place the clean smooth small rock then tie your rope around the sheet and the rock. Now you'll have four corner ties and middle ones can be added is needed.  Pretty easy and light in weight. I used a rope usually hemp that has been worked a little to be softer and not as coarse as most you see. Easier on the sheet and on your hands.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Temp rendezavous shelter set up?   Temp rendezavous shelter set up? Empty2019-05-14, 18:34

Almost finished it, but a while back i bought the 9x12 canvas tarp and this evening, have almost finished waterproofing it with linseed oil. Looks great and the test area repealed water with ease. Almost $90 into the damn thing after buying linseed oil. I have have a 3'x'3 square I will have to finish tomorrow when I get a small can on linseed oil.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Temp rendezavous shelter set up?   Temp rendezavous shelter set up? Empty2019-05-18, 19:27

Cut cedar poles on the property today and used my tomahawk to peel them with ease. I have them set up in Teepee form to dry.
Temp rendezavous shelter set up? 60853410
Temp rendezavous shelter set up? 60384810
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Temp rendezavous shelter set up?   Temp rendezavous shelter set up? Empty2019-05-19, 15:14

Temp rendezavous shelter set up? 60395472-2408989555832473-79439792416227328-n
Temp rendezavous shelter set up? 60657401-2408989729165789-3938470648061362176-n
Temp rendezavous shelter set up? 60585140-2408989645832464-7976755343944318976-n
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Temp rendezavous shelter set up?   Temp rendezavous shelter set up? Empty2019-05-28, 17:03

I ended up replacing the top pole with something a little longer and thicker towards the narrow end. Worked out like a charm and I even found a better way to run the rope and keep the frame SOLID. The new pole is 12" and much thicker on the thinnest end which alone, beefed up the framework. I didn't bother with pics as I have the cover off it and rolled up to take to rendezvous on the 7th and set everything up.

I had the original design for a solid week, horrible wind storms, rain, hail, shes still solid.

The new roof pole however, I spent some time with today and used 50 grit sand paper on my belt sander. I like this method much better!
Back to top Go down

Temp rendezavous shelter set up?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Muzzleloading Crafts-
Jump to: