Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Proofing an old shotgun barrel

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16313
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Proofing an old shotgun barrel Empty
PostSubject: Proofing an old shotgun barrel   Proofing an old shotgun barrel EmptyApril 15th 2019, 3:21 pm

Looks like that old 41 1/2" long 12ga is going to live again! Tomorrow I am taking it to a gunsmith and having him thread a new over sized nipple for it.

Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3767
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Proofing an old shotgun barrel   Proofing an old shotgun barrel EmptyApril 15th 2019, 6:11 pm

Cool vid.  Do you know what the load was Question
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Proofing an old shotgun barrel   Proofing an old shotgun barrel EmptyApril 15th 2019, 7:26 pm

yes its 100gr 2fg gearheart owen black powder, 480gr worth of buckshot. When I get a round ball mould it will be 492gr so I wanted to test with a load similar.
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Proofing an old shotgun barrel   Proofing an old shotgun barrel EmptyApril 16th 2019, 6:54 am

I am an English trained gunmaker (Ret) so I have extensive training and experience with proof processes. Your method is sort of a unique take on how it is done and it certainly works. However, a proofing is done with an "over-charge". If you are going to load 50 grains then this might be a "proof". Explained crudely, the proof load is twice the maximum amount of powder you would normally use. Nowadays with technology it is essentially twice the maximum pressure you would get from the most "powerful" commonly available load. I would think with that gun you would load somewhere around 70 or 80 grains of powder. With that in mind, you have neither a "double-charge" nor a "double-pressure" load that you tested with. I appreciate your enthusiasm and I like your ingenuity!  I am not convinced that barrel is perfectly safe with that one blast. I'd like to see it work out for you, so be careful and somewhat reserved as you proceed.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Proofing an old shotgun barrel   Proofing an old shotgun barrel EmptyApril 16th 2019, 9:13 am

i fired 3 shots total, 2 on video. Also with this being an antique barrel with zero info, we have no clue what max load is and with it being so old, i dont think any one of us would consider shouldering it with a max load, even if we knew what it was.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3767
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Proofing an old shotgun barrel   Proofing an old shotgun barrel EmptyApril 16th 2019, 10:51 am

In "general", I always understood a proof load to be much more than one would ever shoot out of the particular firearm.  

FG, how many grains of powder do you plan to use when you hunt with it Question
Back to top Go down
mark1945
Forum
Forum
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Proofing an old shotgun barrel   Proofing an old shotgun barrel EmptyApril 16th 2019, 11:24 am

I dont know if its still in the Dixie catalog but there used to be a chart showing the proof loads used back then for different gauges and calibers used in Belgium I think. I used it years ago on a sxs 11 gauge barrels a friend gave to me. Decided to check before I made a stock and hunted down locks and triggers for it. It called for 300 grain 2f and equal shot by volume set of both barrels with a cannon fuse tied to a tree and they survived . Still have the barrels but have never finished the shotgun yet.

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Proofing an old shotgun barrel   Proofing an old shotgun barrel EmptyApril 16th 2019, 12:25 pm

I asked the gunsmith today about the double load and his eyes just about popped out of his head lol. He said that 100gr charge was plenty due to the age. You guys with these 300gr charges are talking about NEW barrels, not something that is 150+ years old.

Marty, Most likely in the 70gr range with a round ball.

Also, when the new nipple is in, he said to go ahead and test it again.

I showed him what the gunstock builder did and explained what i found and he was just chuckling over it.

He didn't seem to have an issues with the barrel being shot at all.
Back to top Go down

Proofing an old shotgun barrel
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Gun Builders Bench-
Jump to: