Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Took the .62 smoothbore double on hunt today....

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2018-06-08

Took the .62 smoothbore double on hunt today.... Empty
PostSubject: Took the .62 smoothbore double on hunt today....   Took the .62 smoothbore double on hunt today.... EmptyApril 27th 2019, 9:53 pm

I took my SxS  19 bore on a hunt. First I chose it to back-up my buffalo hunters. Then, since it was already loaded, I let one of the clients shoot a ram that we were targeting with it. A ram is not much of a challenge for a ball that big. As expected the quartering away heart shot exited the opposite shoulder. The ram dropped right there and did not flinch. We could have dropped a golf ball into the exit hole. We snuck in close and the shot was under 50-yards. The versatility of the smoothbore of that size is amazing!  Fun, Fun!
(I did not get permission to use his photo, hence the dirty faces....)
Took the .62 smoothbore double on hunt today.... ML-Buff-2-LI-Copy

Took the .62 smoothbore double on hunt today.... ML-Ram-LI
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3725
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Took the .62 smoothbore double on hunt today....   Took the .62 smoothbore double on hunt today.... EmptyApril 28th 2019, 6:57 am

Having been a custom reloader I'm always interested in "loads"....whether it be smokeless or black powder.  
What load do you use behind your .62 cannonball, and is that your " one-load-fits-all " regardless of what game you are hunting  Question
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Took the .62 smoothbore double on hunt today....   Took the .62 smoothbore double on hunt today.... EmptyApril 28th 2019, 7:38 am

I use a 370 grain .626 round ball lead. I didn't make the cast balls and they seem slightly hard compared to swaged pure lead that I use in other calibers. The powder charge is a 1-1/8 scoop of FFFg (80 something grains). I put a card on the powder followed by a 1/2 inch wad dry (for low # of shooting) and 2-cards over the ball (No patch). This gun always works fine with CCI #11 standard caps but I would use "magnum" caps if I have them. This load gets 1588 FPS MV. In this gun this load has taken deer, hogs and exotics and a bison out to 55-yards. I've not tried a further shot even on paper. This is actually my youngest sons gun (12 year old) and he usually loads 70 grains eq. and gets 1445 fps with which he has taken several whitetail deer and hogs. Loaded either way, it puts the right barrels impact right on top of the left's for a figure-8 at 35-yards. At 50-yards there is a slight spread up to 2" and the left barrel tends to be low-right while the right barrel is high left, usually one hole on each side of the 1" bullseye. This is with a 2-bead sight system - no notched rear sight. Line up the two beads in a little 8 and put the point of impact right on top of it and your good to go. 

We use this same gun for turkey with FFFg Goex and shot measured from the 1 1/8 ounce cup and #6 shot in a paper wrap with 9 BB's loose dropped in on top of the wrap. For smaller birds like doves we load the same powder from the 1-ounce up with 7-1/2 shot. 

Very versatile little smoothbore!
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3725
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Took the .62 smoothbore double on hunt today....   Took the .62 smoothbore double on hunt today.... EmptyApril 28th 2019, 4:12 pm

My first deer gun was an iron sight 12 gauge shotgun shooting pumpkin balls.  My second was an iron sight 20 gauge with pumpkin balls.  Looking back those smoothbores were fun to hunt with...especially in Mountain Laurel country where most shots were 40 yards or less.
Back to top Go down

Took the .62 smoothbore double on hunt today....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: