Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

NEED SOME HAWK TALK

Go down 
AuthorMessage
flashpoint

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2019-01-12

NEED SOME HAWK TALK Empty
PostSubject: NEED SOME HAWK TALK   NEED SOME HAWK TALK EmptyApril 28th 2019, 8:33 pm

Have been thinking about getting myself a Tomahawk and I know there are some beautiful (and expensive) ones out there.  Am wondering  if anyone has any suggestions?  I intend on carrying it in my belt, probably throw it some but will use it mostly for some light camp work or quartering deer, etc.  It would be great if it weighed only a pound or so.  I have no idea how long the handle should be as I've seen many different lengths.  I probably will dress it up some with leather and tacks.  I prefer the head to be affixed at the top of the pole rather than several inches lower as I've seen on some.  From what I've read, high carbon steel is best for keeping a good edge.
I also don't particularly like it when the head looks like some Viking axe. Hmmmmmm, it seems in re-reading I have included a lot of things in my wish list.  I appreciate any thoughts.  Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: NEED SOME HAWK TALK   NEED SOME HAWK TALK EmptyApril 28th 2019, 8:50 pm

For belt carry and chore use I like the 16.5 " handle but that is a bit long for some folks to carry. A 1-pound head is light in my opinion. 22 ounce might be a better weight but it comes down to what you are going to do and your personal preferences. High carbon steel is easy to re-sharpen but needs re-sharpening more often than other metallurgy, the edges tend to roll when abused or thrown into something particularly hard, but you can file them and sharpen. Other metals will be more edge-roll resistant with the downside of more difficult sharpening. Edge surface is another measurement to consider. Do you want a flat or contoured edge and what length tip to tip?  I like a concave 3" for what I do. You have some specifics in your post that will either limit what you choose from commercially available or provide a blueprint for a custom maker.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3406
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: NEED SOME HAWK TALK   NEED SOME HAWK TALK EmptyApril 29th 2019, 9:29 am

There are lots of choices on hawks, fancy (expensive) to good working ones. I have used varies styles in the last 65 years of the fancy ones (not as strong as one would think) to a plain hand axe. When still selling muzzleloading supplies the H&B name always stood out above any other brand.

The best all around and most popular hawk for the last 50 years has been the H&B Forge hawk (available in several different sizes).  See: http://www.hbforge.com/   I have used the regular throwing ones but in the last 20 years favor the poll hawk for both camp use with the hammer head and as well for throwing.  The best think to remember is H&B Hawks have extra handles available that interchange easily (when practicing you'll break a few, so get a few extra.

By the way H&B Forge was started and originally own by the Amish in Ohio, everything was going along fine until they filled a large order in the 1960's for the US Government.  Later finding their hawks were being used by Special Forces as a weapon, the business was sold. It has changed hands several times but the products have never changed.

Workmanship on our hand forged tomahawks and other products is done completely by owner, Jarrod Barber, and is guaranteed for life. We use type 1095 steel in our hawk and axe bits, which runs down the center of the blade. That is wrapped with 1018 steel. This is the same hand forging process used hundreds of years ago, ensuring the best -and most authentic- quality. New Handle finishing: We are now burnishing our handles which gives them an aged look. You will find them to be smoother, a little shinier and with an overall nicer finish. You can now order spare handles finished like this as well.  All leather work is done by local Amish craftsmen.

Back to top Go down
flashpoint

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2019-01-12

PostSubject: Re: NEED SOME HAWK TALK   NEED SOME HAWK TALK EmptyApril 29th 2019, 7:15 pm

Thanks Sparkitoff and Buck for the information.  I appreciate you taking the time to give me all the feedback.  I will definitely check out HK Buck.  Originally from PA I can see how the Amish wouldn't want their Hawks to be used for combat. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1774
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: NEED SOME HAWK TALK   NEED SOME HAWK TALK EmptyApril 30th 2019, 8:43 pm

I just bought another one of these. I have been throwing and I really like the first one I got. It is NMLRA approved. 
It is not fancy. But, it is solid and serviceable. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2WHL94/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1NEED SOME HAWK TALK Axe_ax11

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3406
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: NEED SOME HAWK TALK   NEED SOME HAWK TALK EmptyMay 1st 2019, 9:18 am

KC - $40 bucks is a very good price for this hawk. Guys look at the tapered handle, that's what you want for throwing.

Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1774
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: NEED SOME HAWK TALK   NEED SOME HAWK TALK EmptyMay 1st 2019, 6:29 pm

Thanks, Buck. Mine throws really well. 

UPDATE: The new hawk arrived today. It is shaped and has the same feel and wood of the old one. It should. I bought it from the same source. 

But, there is a difference. The look of the axe head is flat black with a different texture. It is visibly/cosmeticly a little different from the picture above. (Like my first one) The new one also had a sticker on the head, "Made in India." This was not on my original hawk.

I am uneasy about this, but do not have time to send it back. I have volunteered (been volunteered) to teach hawk throwing at a Family Day to benefit First Responders this weekend. I need an extra. I will let you know...

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down

NEED SOME HAWK TALK
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: