Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Updating my knife sheath

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16225
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Updating my knife sheath Empty
PostSubject: Updating my knife sheath   Updating my knife sheath EmptyApril 30th 2019, 7:25 pm

I originally used steel rivits and over the years and kept coming off. I found these brass tacks on crazy crow site and ordered a few hundred. A pain in the butt to do, but in the end, I really am happy with the brass tacks on the dark leather. Excuse the poor pic.
Updating my knife sheath 20190413
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3355
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Updating my knife sheath   Updating my knife sheath EmptyMay 1st 2019, 2:36 pm

Are your tacks with the steel shank?  The steel shank will prevent damage to the leather stitching just like what the Native Americans did. Before tack brass wire was used to thread the sheathes. 

A little history on this type of (nail) tack.
The original brass tacks had brass shank nails all formed as a single unit, these appeared in North America as early as the colonies found on trucks, harness leather and considered prized items.
Then the steel shank appeared as the name implies, wire nails are formed from wire. Usually coils of wire are drawn through a series of dies to reach a specific diameter, then cut into short rods that are then formed into nails. The nail tip is usually cut by a blade; the head is formed by reshaping the other end of the rod under high pressure. Other dies are used to cut grooves and ridges. Wire nails with copper or brass caps were also known as "French nails" for their country of origin.  Belgian capped wire nails began to compete in England in 1863.  Joseph Henry Nettleford was making wire nails at Smethwick by 1875. Over the following decades, the nail-making process with different caps were almost completely automated. Eventually the industry had machines capable of quickly producing huge numbers of inexpensive nails with little or no human intervention.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16225
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Updating my knife sheath   Updating my knife sheath EmptyMay 1st 2019, 2:57 pm

Nope, these have 2 narrow brass shanks that you bend afterward to hold them in place. Love them, but man they are a pain in the butt.
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3693
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Updating my knife sheath   Updating my knife sheath EmptyMay 1st 2019, 6:46 pm

"Poor pic"???...That's a GREAT pic!
Back to top Go down
stoney1
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
stoney1

Male Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2017-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Updating my knife sheath   Updating my knife sheath EmptyJune 11th 2019, 11:09 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
I originally used steel rivits and over the years and kept coming off. I found these brass tacks on crazy crow site and ordered a few hundred. A pain in the butt to do, but in the end, I really am happy with the brass tacks on the dark leather. Excuse the poor pic.
Updating my knife sheath 20190413
Frontier Gander
Yup.... they're called "Split Rivets" Been using them since the 70's. I buy the 7/16" and 3/8" long rivets. I get them by the hundreds too. I used to buy them from Hawkes Leather out of Alaska but they went out of business. You can find a bunch of listings for them on eBay. You can get them in Chrome from Tru Value Hardware. I see that someone on eBay has a bunch of solid Copper ones for sale. Just trying to help?
Stoney

Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2065
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Updating my knife sheath   Updating my knife sheath EmptyJune 15th 2019, 9:06 am

I'm not sure, Stoney would have to confirm, but I may have the type rivets you're displaying on my "Two Feathers" sheath.

Updating my knife sheath BwPvvi
Updating my knife sheath CvDlqS

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
stoney1
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
stoney1

Male Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2017-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Updating my knife sheath   Updating my knife sheath EmptyJune 15th 2019, 12:20 pm

@Smokin' Joe wrote:
I'm not sure, Stoney would have to confirm, but I may have the type rivets you're displaying on my "Two Feathers" sheath.

Updating my knife sheath BwPvvi
Updating my knife sheath CvDlqS
Hi Joe
Actually those aren't rivets, They look just like them but  they're metal "spots" I buy hundreds of them from a friend who owns steckstore.com out of Indianapolis Indiana. https://www.stecksstore.com/round-spots-antique-nickel-3-8-100-1330-08/
These have 2 prongs on the back that you drive through the leather, then bend over. Frontier Gander and I have discussed this before. These are MUCH easier to use based on what Frontier Gander has said about his.
I hope I haven't disappointed you?
God bless:
Stoney

Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2065
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Updating my knife sheath   Updating my knife sheath EmptyJune 15th 2019, 12:49 pm

Very Happy not a chance!

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down

Updating my knife sheath
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Muzzleloading Crafts-
Jump to: