Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

2 Rifles ready for upcoming hunt

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2018-06-08

2 Rifles ready for upcoming hunt Empty
PostSubject: 2 Rifles ready for upcoming hunt   2 Rifles ready for upcoming hunt EmptyMay 18th 2019, 5:44 pm

There is no season on elk in Texas, nor on Axis deer. A big oil and gas co. has some 10,100 acre ranch with both species. They are doing a meat hunt next week.  The idea is to shoot dry cows since they are not contributing to the breeding pool any more. 

I am embarrassed to say I bought a percussion Hawken style T/C with GM barrel in .54 cal around November and I had never shot it until today. I also sent off a lock and barrel to be turned into a complete flintlock and it arrived today. Also a .54 caliber. 

The flintlock was said to shoot good (and sighted in) with 80 grains Goex FFFg, .018 pillow ticking cut at muzzle, .530 ball and 1.5 g FFFFg priming charge. I loaded as such as hoped the 15 mile per hour steady wind from left to right would not hurt groups at 75 yards. It did push the groups a bit right but accuracy and trajectory are good to go for the hunt. For this one I did a alcohol pad swab between shots.  I did shoot some 100-yard groups that were very good and horizontally correct but a little further right due to wind.

2 Rifles ready for upcoming hunt ML2

I figured the above load was as good as any place to start since the percussion rifle has the same ROT (1:70). I loaded and used a Remington #11 percussion cap. First shot on a clean barrel was bulleye. 5 additional shots were showing the L-R wind a little but all touched. I fired one shot at 100-yards and it hit the 3 O'clock spot on the 4.5 inch orange bullseye. I did not swab between any shots.  This rifle is good to go for this hunt also.

2 Rifles ready for upcoming hunt ML1
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16313
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: 2 Rifles ready for upcoming hunt   2 Rifles ready for upcoming hunt EmptyMay 18th 2019, 7:32 pm

for shooting that rifle for the first time, that is outstanding!
Back to top Go down
heelerau

heelerau

Male Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2018-02-08

PostSubject: Re: 2 Rifles ready for upcoming hunt   2 Rifles ready for upcoming hunt EmptyJuly 26th 2019, 5:10 pm

That is an excellent group, you should be able to approach the hunt with confidence in your new rifle !

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3767
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: 2 Rifles ready for upcoming hunt   2 Rifles ready for upcoming hunt EmptyJuly 27th 2019, 3:01 pm

Very nice range report and awesome shooting!
Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
RonC

Male Number of posts : 1140
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: 2 Rifles ready for upcoming hunt   2 Rifles ready for upcoming hunt EmptyJuly 27th 2019, 6:59 pm

Excellent shooting! Very impressive!
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man’s Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, It’s Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down

2 Rifles ready for upcoming hunt
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: The Shooting Range-
Jump to: