Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

A rack for the guns

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NWTF Lobo

NWTF Lobo

Male Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2018-01-29

A rack for the guns Empty
PostSubject: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 21st 2019, 9:01 am

My gun rack that a friend built for me in my shop. There's a couple guns missing, one that I loaned to a buddy and another in the house. I have my bags and horns there also so everything is easy to find when I need them.

A rack for the guns Gun-ha10
Back to top Go down
https://shrewbows.com
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3395
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 21st 2019, 9:21 am

Your like me, now having a room built in basement with hidden door that will house all my wares along with my toys like yours. Once completed I will have my firearms in a 25 gun safe plus another safe for accessories with a files for taxes and personal information. One wall will hold 25 year shelf life (food) along with (4) 250 gallon containers of water if needed. 

The best damn books for reference were the old "Fireside" series (not sure that's the correct name - want to buy them again).

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 21st 2019, 9:22 am

I wish I had the room to put up something like that!
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 21st 2019, 9:34 am

I always hear not to store ML's barrel up.... Mine are all pointed down. I do notice staining on the pad at the muzzle, so something is coming out....
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 21st 2019, 9:44 am

That depends. Most say not to store them up because any oil in the bore can run down and fill up the breech. IMO that's not such a bad thing considering the breech rarely ever gets any oil in it and always has a layer of surface rust. If you don't over oil them I wouldnt have an issue with storing them muzzle up.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 21st 2019, 10:20 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
That depends. Most say not to store them up because any oil in the bore can run down and fill up the breech. IMO that's not such a bad thing considering the breech rarely ever gets any oil in it and always has a layer of surface rust. If you don't over oil them I wouldnt have an issue with storing them muzzle up.

Agreed, lots of ideas ....

Back to top Go down
NWTF Lobo

NWTF Lobo

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 21st 2019, 11:15 am

I've got some guns in there that have been stored muzzle up for over 40 years with no problems. I don't leave oil in the barrel

Another wall in the shop

A rack for the guns Archer10
Back to top Go down
NWTF Lobo

NWTF Lobo

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 21st 2019, 11:27 am

Another wall, the trophy's are from traditional archery competition over the years. The turkeys were taken with flintlocks, all the mounted animals in the shop were taken either with traditional bows or flintlocks.  

A rack for the guns Trophy10

A rack for the guns Shop_110
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 21st 2019, 3:31 pm

Looks like what my last store had, lots of dust collectors. Sold the store,animal mounts and trophies (dust collectors) to a new guy on the block. 

When still drag racing we averaged 3-4 trophies each week for 7 months each year and gave away all but a few that were hard earned. The kids in the grandstands were our cheering family (they got the trophies each weeks) - good way to build fan support....  Very Happy   Laughing

Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3725
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 21st 2019, 6:07 pm

@NWTF Lobo wrote:
I've got some guns in there that have been stored muzzle up for over 40 years with no problems. I don't leave oil in the barrel

Another wall in the shop

A rack for the guns Archer10
My most satisfying deer harvests have no doubt come from my traditional bows.  I have several Osage Orange selfbows which are my favorites.
Nice collection ya gots thar!
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1774
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 21st 2019, 7:30 pm

I enjoyed seeing your impressive den, Lobo. I like it. A lot.

I gotta admit that keeping all that out makes me nervous. My Dad had a smash & grab that lost us a lot- a family heirloom, too. A couple of cinder blocks were used to batter down the bolted back door. Then they broke the glass on the nice wood gun display cabinet and splintered the locked wood doors below. 

Since then, nearly all of the family keep our guns locked in safes. The gun rack displays stay mostly empty when not in active use. Defensive firearms are carefully discrete. Every firearm serial number is safely recorded and stored separately. I miss the displays, but can leave the house with a little more peace of mind. 

Watch who knows the address.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
RonC

Male Number of posts : 1138
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 22nd 2019, 8:32 am

My most valuable firearms are in a safe. In order to give some level of protection, I installed an iron bar door at the top of my stairs down to my basement office and work area.
The frame of the door is anchored to house frame by 3 1/2 inch lag bolts - quite a number of them. The door has 2 locks, one a dead bolt.A rack for the guns Baseme10

A determined burglar certainly could get through. But a routine burglar who wants to get in and o ut quickly, would have a hard time.

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man’s Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, It’s Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
NWTF Lobo

NWTF Lobo

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 23rd 2019, 6:52 am

The doors have dead bolts, the windows have bars, plus an ADT alarm system. It used to be a modern gun shop, now it's a traditional archery and traditional black powder museum.

Back to top Go down
LongRifle

LongRifle

Male Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2019-04-23

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 23rd 2019, 7:42 am

I like all the dens, man-caves, etc. But I have always had the "out of sight- out of mind" mentality.  Locks and bars only keep out the honest people.
Back to top Go down
hunting savage

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2014-05-03

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 23rd 2019, 10:51 am

Nice LoBo From same state I see
Back to top Go down
NWTF Lobo

NWTF Lobo

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 23rd 2019, 12:20 pm

Quote :
I like all the dens, man-caves, etc. But I have always had the "out of sight- out of mind" mentality.  Locks and bars only keep out the honest people.

"Beauty was meant to be seen and appreciated, to keep it hidden is not the purpose of it's creation"
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 23rd 2019, 5:32 pm

It is sad that we live in a time that we have to Fear of Thieves breaking in to our Homes more so than ever, I can remember leaving keys in Cars at all times Growing up in the Town i am From, pull up to the Grocery store and leave your Car Running while you ran in, You wouldn’t DARE do that in this Day n Age, unless your Car was Piece of Junk that you WOULD wish on your Enemies  Very Happy  

Times have SURE changed, and not for the Good

P.S. NWTF Lobo, Very Nice Gun Rack you have there Sir!
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 24th 2019, 5:12 am

I was wondering if you were wearing those buckskins when the arrows were placed.  Very Happy  Very nice display!

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
NWTF Lobo

NWTF Lobo

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 24th 2019, 6:48 am

Quote :
I was wondering if you were wearing those buckskins when the arrows were placed.    Very nice display!

Those were the first skins I made and had the grease of many campfires in them before they were retired

A rack for the guns Bucksk10

The next set I made still look pretty new replaced by Eastern Longhunter garb

A rack for the guns Bucksk11

Leggins, breachclout and linsey-woolsey

A rack for the guns Turkey14
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 24th 2019, 8:57 am

An old friend (retired do to some health issues from the Hell's Angles - rare case) told me at an AMM encampment "The only difference between a biker and a mountainman was the mode of transportation".  That remark has always stayed with me and puts a smile on my face when I think of TJ.

Back to top Go down
NWTF Lobo

NWTF Lobo

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 24th 2019, 12:25 pm

Hey Buck, remember the leg wrestling games in camp? That was a popular game especially after pullin on the jug for a spell. drunken
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 25th 2019, 7:51 am

Oh yes, that was Nation wide in those days next to pulling on the jug of some weird mix. Good times Lobo ......   cowyboy hatoff

Back to top Go down
JLBSparks

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2015-03-04

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 25th 2019, 9:41 am

Ron, I was gonna ask if those were the same buckskins that you wore  riding your scooter, but I see the riding 'skins are newer.

-Joe
Back to top Go down
NWTF Lobo

NWTF Lobo

PostSubject: Re: A rack for the guns   A rack for the guns EmptyMay 25th 2019, 7:06 pm

Quote :
Ron, I was gonna ask if those were the same buckskins that you wore riding your scooter, but I see the riding 'skins are newer.

-Joe

A rack for the guns Bucksk12
Back to top Go down

A rack for the guns
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: