Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 495
Registration date : 2019-01-11

Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) Empty
PostSubject: Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal)   Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) Empty2019-05-24, 12:37

I shot my BACO Custom Design (by me) Cupped Base PP Bullet this Morning in my Rice 1:20 Twist, I usually throw the Cold Bore fouler shot away, but I decided to put it on Target this morning. I can work with this :rtup A tiny bit more tinkering and i will head for 500 Yards, About all i will be able to get with a Lyman 57 Tang Peep.

Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) XfxDzqxm

Bullets before Patch
Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) IPqB2x1m

After Patch
Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) Zmiklf1m

Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) AkkjPrUl
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal)   Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) Empty2019-05-24, 12:45

For Anybody that might question these “Pointy nose” Bullets made of 1:40 Alloy Mushrooming, This was in the Sand Bank Above which is Obviously a Harsh Media, Talk about a Bullet Rolling back around itself! This is a SERIOUS Mushroom :rtup

Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) Yn3CLgKl

Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) SNo2Nu2l
Back to top Go down
edmehlig

edmehlig

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal)   Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) Empty2019-05-24, 13:59

Lew, as always "Outstanding Shooting"!  I can only imagine if you shot off a solid bench instead of off the hood of your truck what size groupings you would get?  Very Happy

While the backstop is a little harsh like you said, your 40-1 lead bullets mushroomed nicely!  Wink

1 - TC Renegade / GM 45 LRH & 54Cal
Back to top Go down
Harleysboss

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2019-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal)   Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) Empty2019-06-01, 10:36

Nice shooting! I've been busy with spring bear hunting....bears 2- hunter 0 !  2 more weeks of hunting then back to shooting.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3799
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal)   Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) Empty2019-06-01, 15:51

Friggin" perfect mushroom. What a Face  Nice range report Idaholewis.  :tup2 
Any chance I can get a close-up pic of that Lyman peep mounted on that smoker?
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal)   Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) Empty2019-06-03, 13:58

@Marty wrote:
Friggin" perfect mushroom. What a Face  Nice range report Idaholewis.  :tup2 
Any chance I can get a close-up pic of that Lyman peep mounted on that smoker?

Marty,  Sorry about the REALLY late Reply here, i haven’t been much for active on the Forums lately

Here are a Few Close ups, I did a tutorial on Mounting 1 of these, i will drag it over here and post :rtup

Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) WaZa7aYl

Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) Xc54Dgpl
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal)   Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) Empty2019-06-03, 14:00

If there is interest, i will post my Tutorial on Mounting these
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16344
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal)   Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) Empty2019-06-03, 14:35

Please do so!
Back to top Go down
edmehlig

edmehlig

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal)   Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) Empty2019-06-03, 16:01

Lew, I would post all of your How to do Video's here.

1 - TC Renegade / GM 45 LRH & 54Cal
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3799
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal)   Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) Empty2019-06-03, 16:43

@Idaholewis wrote:
If there is interest, i will post my Tutorial on Mounting these
Thanks for the pics!
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3488
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal)   Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) Empty2019-06-17, 14:29

Years ago an old friend cast some bullets that look like what your using.  Another friend that raised buffalo asked if I wanted to put down a cow that was raising hell tearing up anything in sight. To make a long story short we head to KS and look at the problem and setup to stalk her in an open area (not in the cottonwoods).

I usually try and get close so I can shoot these animals behind the ear, at a distance I usually use a lung shot (meat is to expensive to waste anything if at all possible.)  I'm using a 40/70 2-1/10 cartridge (bottle necked 45/70 case).  A 400 grain bullet like yours Lou and a duplex load of 75 gr. FFF and 10 gr. of IMR 4198.  

My first shot hits the lungs (nothing), second (same thing), third (same). I ask what the heck did you cast these bullets out of - (wheel weights), crap they are not expanding just punching holes. Used my stand 385 round nose and finished the job. 

Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal)   Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) Empty2019-06-18, 06:09

@Buck Conner wrote:
Years ago an old friend cast some bullets that look like what your using.  Another friend that raised buffalo asked if I wanted to put down a cow that was raising hell tearing up anything in sight. To make a long story short we head to KS and look at the problem and setup to stalk her in an open area (not in the cottonwoods).

I usually try and get close so I can shoot these animals behind the ear, at a distance I usually use a lung shot (meat is to expensive to waste anything if at all possible.)  I'm using a 40/70 2-1/10 cartridge (bottle necked 45/70 case).  A 400 grain bullet like yours Lou and a duplex load of 75 gr. FFF and 10 gr. of IMR 4198.  

My first shot hits the lungs (nothing), second (same thing), third (same). I ask what the heck did you cast these bullets out of - (wheel weights), crap they are not expanding just punching holes. Used my stand 385 round nose and finished the job. 

I hear ya Buck, The MAJOR problem is the Alloy these are usually made of, The most Common being 20-1, and many using 16-1, It works great for Target use punching paper, but would be poor on Game, Punching a little Hole straight through. The Alloys mentioned above are WAY To Hard for a good Hunting Bullet in my Opinion, at least at ML Velocities, Very Little expansion, maybe none? I am confident Your outcome would have been VERY different if the Bullet had been Pure Lead
  Run down on lead hardness. Pure lead is 5 Brinell Hardness, 20-1 is 10 Brinell, and 16-1 would be 10.5-11 Brinell, We all know that Wheel weights are Really HARD! They are 12-12.5 Brinell. My favorite Alloy is 40-1 which is 8.5 Brinell.
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal)   Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal) Empty2019-06-18, 06:17

If you look on Buffalo Arms Website at their VAST Cast Bullet section, you will find they are nearly ALL made of 20-1 Alloy, That is just to Hard for a Hunting Bullet in my opinion. I find it a Shame that these Bullet Companies Don’t offer each of their More popular Bullet designs in Different Alloys to give a guy options to try/test, Say Pure Lead, and 40-1

At ML Velocities, Pure lead will ALWAYS be the Best performer, Ron L’s Tests over on MM and Hnet show this over n over. A tiny bit of lead hardness goes a REALLY LONG way! Especially performance wise at ML Velocities
Back to top Go down

Buffalo Arms Custom Paper Patch (.45 Cal)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: The Shooting Range-
Jump to: