Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

On the road again

Go down 
AuthorMessage
RonC
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
RonC

Male Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2013-09-09

On the road again Empty
PostSubject: On the road again   On the road again EmptyMay 27th 2019, 8:08 pm

Hello to all my muzzleloading buddies from Kathmandu, Nepal. This is a working trip, but there will be some time for sight seeing. In a few days will will go to Nagacort from where you can see Mt. Everest in the distance. In the Kathmandu valley, temperatures get up to 95. The nights, however, are cool enough.
I have to give 3 different presentations to 3 different groups, at 3 separate locations. And Everest is not on my agenda! There was another death on Everest yesterday.
I discovered just the other day that Nepalese airlines do not have US or European certifications. I leave for the Nepalese city of Pokhara in a few days. I think that I will take a bus. I've flown on Nepalese short hop airlines and can understand why they are not certified. I flew on Buddha Air some years ago. After the flight, I felt quite enlightened. :DBelieve it or not, I have flown here in Nepal on Cosmic Air!
I think I will stay on the ground this time.

Best to You All,
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man’s Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, It’s Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)

Last edited by RonC on June 14th 2019, 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BigAl52
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
BigAl52

Male Number of posts : 596
Registration date : 2016-02-03

On the road again Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the road again   On the road again EmptyJune 2nd 2019, 9:21 am

Take care over the Ron and we need to get together and go shoot again. Its been to long since I have done that. Need to give ole Phil a call to.

John Bergmann 50 cal Lancaster
John Bergmann 54 cal Hawken
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
RonC

On the road again Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the road again   On the road again EmptyJune 2nd 2019, 9:46 am

It will be great to shoot together again!

Meantime, I am getting my need for adventure filled by being driven around Kathmandu.

Traffic is outlandish! There are rules of the road in Nepal, but they are there to be ignored. Driving is a continuous game of "chicken. If there is one unspoken rule, it is "just keep on going and the other person will make a decision to avoid you. Want to change lanes? Just change lanes and hope the other cars, or scooters or motorcycles will let you in. Or not. Someone has to give in. Or not. The only worse driving and traffic I ever have seen is in neighboring India, New Delhi in particular.

Imagine wanting to turn left off a road with 6 lanes. There are oncoming vehicles on the left side of the road in all 3 lanes. You don't wait for the oncoming cars to pass, you just make the left in front of the approaching cars. But you can only get by the first lane and you stop, trapped, crossing over the second lane. The car coming toward you in the second lane has a choice: to stop; to run you over; to move over a lane without looking. Why should the oncoming vehicle look, first, before  changing lanes? The person in the next lane must either let him in; move over or hit him. Meantime, you are stuck sitting across the second lane because traffic in the first lane won't let you in. No problem. As soon as there is a gap between cars  in the first lane, you just cross that last lane. The oncoming traffic must decide to hit you or stop, or change lanes.

Astounding!
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man’s Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, It’s Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-02-03

On the road again Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the road again   On the road again EmptyJune 2nd 2019, 2:12 pm

I don't enjoy driving now at all.  Nothing worse than having to worry constantly about watching out for the crazy drivers.  I would have nightmares about driving in Nepal.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16225
Registration date : 2008-05-19

On the road again Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the road again   On the road again EmptyJune 2nd 2019, 2:44 pm

Have fun Ron! Stay safe as well.
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
RonC
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
RonC

On the road again Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the road again   On the road again EmptyJune 3rd 2019, 5:59 am

Thank you, Jonathan!

I plan to be a powerline technician in Nepal: Very Happy

On the road again Nepal_10

Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
RonC

On the road again Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the road again   On the road again EmptyJune 14th 2019, 4:45 pm

I am thrilled to be back!
I just arrived in yesterday afternoon after a 3 week visit and a grueling return trip from Nepal. We flew about 4.5 hours from Kathmandu to Bangkok, Thailand, then had a 5 hour layover in Bangkok. Another 5 hour flight was to Tokyo followed by an 8 hour layover. The trip was finished with a 10.5 hour flight to Denver. Whew! I am exhausted.

The trip was fruitful, rewarding and challenging. There was no letup - a meeting here, a meeting there,  off to give a presentation. Traveling from one venue to another through Kathmandu traffic means that I never again will have a desire to go to an amusement park. There was much more adventure in the Kathmandu driving and traffic. The driving and traffic is astoundingly chaotic! Passing on blind hills and curves-no problem. Rules? Just ignore them. Want to cross an intersection? Just go and hope the cross traffic will stop or go around you. Pedestrians have no right of way. Just walk out in front of moving cars and hope they stop. Or not. Unbelievable!

I gave 3 keynote addresses at 3 different locations on 3 different topics. That was demanding.

We did do some sightseeing of Hindu Temples, but those relaxing interludes were short and rare.

At a Temple with some women university students we met on the way up the long stairs to the Temple.

On the road again Temple10
As you see, I was not at all happy - ;O)))
And a  photo of me sitting near the President of Nepal - a photo taken off a TV during the evening news.
On the road again Ron_co10
I certainly was having a good time.
On the road again Patan_10

Did I mention that it was great to be back?
Ron

Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2065
Registration date : 2011-11-23

On the road again Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the road again   On the road again EmptyJune 14th 2019, 5:14 pm

Reading your story I think you should of said "It's great that you survived!"  Very Happy

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
RonC

On the road again Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the road again   On the road again EmptyJune 14th 2019, 6:02 pm

I wonder about that as well.
Imagine driving on a crowded street and your taxi driver passes into the oncoming lanes. There are cars and motorbikes coming at you head-on.
No big deal. IF you stay in the opposing lane, then the cars coming at you can move over a lane. But there are cars in that other way.
No problem. You are playing a game of car-based chicken. The guy coming at you is only yards away. Ah, the taxi driver squeezes over and displaces another car out of his lane. Crisis adverted.
How do you cross a street? Don't make eye contact with drivers. Just walk into the street. The cars and bikes will stop. Or not.
Want to move over a lane? Then move over. The person already there will likely move over if they can.
It is chaotic!

Back to top Go down
Fishunt

Fishunt

Male Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2015-05-27

On the road again Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the road again   On the road again EmptyJune 14th 2019, 7:17 pm

I think I will just take my chances here on Rt. 17 around Gloucester Point Va.

Glad you made it back.

GLenn
Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
RonC

On the road again Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the road again   On the road again EmptyJune 19th 2019, 1:49 pm

It's off topic, Glenn, but I spent 2 summers at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science in Gloucester Point. It was in the 1970's. That area was beautiful.
Ron

Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2019-01-11

On the road again Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the road again   On the road again EmptyJune 20th 2019, 2:51 pm

@RonC wrote:
Thank you, Jonathan!

I plan to be a powerline technician in Nepal: Very Happy

Unreal!! A guy could definitely stay busy lol!
Back to top Go down

On the road again
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: The Hunting Lodge :: Off Topic-Hunting Lodge-
Jump to: