Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Pitchin' for Bass

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LongRifle

LongRifle

Male Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2019-04-23

Pitchin' for Bass Empty
PostSubject: Pitchin' for Bass   Pitchin' for Bass EmptyJune 4th 2019, 9:11 pm

Went out Sunday to a local spot.  Used my ultralight rig with a 6" senko greenback/ red sparkle worm.  Caught tons of bass.  Here are a few of the nicer ones:

Pitchin' for Bass 4rR3W12Pitchin' for Bass HqmFKP6

Although they are not giants, they were a good fight on the ultralight!
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3696
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Pitchin' for Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pitchin' for Bass   Pitchin' for Bass EmptyJune 5th 2019, 8:30 am

Nice largemouths LongRifle !   

Using ultralight gear is a blast.  No need to catch big fish, just "gear-down" to the fish that are biting.  A two-pound fish taken with 6 or 4 pound test tackle will give you all the battle you'll ever need.  I'll use a 6'6" rod with 6 lb. line, and 5'6" rod with 4 lb. line.

Softbaits always look different in store lighting or in your tackle box. Here are some of my favorite bass softbaits.  Rather than rummaging through my tackle boxes while I'm boat fishing for that magic color, stringing 
Pitchin' for Bass LNCiJbz
Pitchin' for Bass ACjt3d8
my favorites bass baits on a hanger allows me see at-a-glance how the baits actually look in the sun or cloud-cover on any given day.

I've had great success using Senkos.  "WATERMELON" has always been a great color.
Back to top Go down
LongRifle

LongRifle

Pitchin' for Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pitchin' for Bass   Pitchin' for Bass EmptyJune 8th 2019, 8:42 pm

Yes, soft baits do look different in stores.  I tend to ask to take the package outside (of course with an employee) so that I can see what it looks like in sunlight.  Presentation is everything I believe, so I try to only purchase or make lures that will work.
Back to top Go down
stoney1
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
stoney1

Male Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2017-05-05

Pitchin' for Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pitchin' for Bass   Pitchin' for Bass EmptyJune 9th 2019, 6:34 am

@LongRifle wrote:
Went out Sunday to a local spot.  Used my ultralight rig with a 6" senko greenback/ red sparkle worm.  Caught tons of bass.  Here are a few of the nicer ones:

Pitchin' for Bass 4rR3W12Pitchin' for Bass HqmFKP6

Although they are not giants, they were a good fight on the ultralight!
LongRifle
Bass season hasn't come in yet here in Pa. but I'm gettin' ready. Can't wait. I use a Diawa 6' ultra light with 4lb test mono, makes for some great battles!!!  cheers  Thanks for the inspiration. Nice bucket mouths, by the way. Just the right size for eatin'.  Smile
God bless:
Stoney1

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Pitchin' for Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pitchin' for Bass   Pitchin' for Bass EmptyJune 11th 2019, 5:38 pm

Stony1, having grownup in PA I've fished alot of water down there.  Where do you bass fish in PA Question
Back to top Go down
stoney1
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
stoney1

Pitchin' for Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pitchin' for Bass   Pitchin' for Bass EmptyJune 11th 2019, 6:18 pm

@Marty wrote:
Stony1, having grownup in PA I've fished alot of water down there.  Where do you bass fish in PA Question
Marty
I'm in North Central Pa. They call it NE Pa., but I know better. I live in Berwick, Columbia county. I fish for bass anywhere I can drown a worm. cheers  I used to fish Lake Silkworth, Beaver Lake, Half Way Dam, and Harvey's Lake. We have the Bell Bend Nuclear power plant here about 6 miles from my place. They have a fishing area that's 3 separate "lakes" (actually 3 nice sized Ponds) They have Bass, Smallies AND Bucket mouths, Sunnys, Blue Gill, some Calicos, but not that much that's really big. Last year I watched a guy yank out a Bucket mouth that went 18 inches and about 5 pounds. That's the nicest fish I've ever seen come out of there.
We have the Susquehanna that runs right beside Berwick, but it's so polluted from the Power Plant, that I'd NEVER eat ANYTHING out of it!!! There are some record Muskies in it. They have a club called "The Husky Mukie Club" that keeps records of the big ones. There's cats in there that go 40 to 50 inches. I saw a guy with one back in the 70's that stretched all the way across his Buick station wagon's tailgate! It had to have been 50 inches long?! I don't fish the river anymore. I did back in the 60's, but not now!!

Sorry for getting off track Marty. I don't fish that much these days. The stroke makes it difficult (and scary) to try getting close to the water. I bought a life time fishing license about 3 years ago (because I'm freakin' OLD). Paid a hundred bucks for it, and I think I've used it 3 times? I'm planing to do more this year...YEAH RIGHT!!!! I'd like to find a place where I can drive up close and don't have to walk down banks and over rocks. The Power Plant ponds have benches right at the water. My balance is terrible, the stroke did it. This is why I spend my time making things for Black Powder...don't have to climb over rocks or go through the woods. Thanks for the reply/post.
God bless:
Stoney

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Pitchin' for Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pitchin' for Bass   Pitchin' for Bass EmptyJune 12th 2019, 7:19 pm

Pine Creek in Central PA was always good for smallies.  
Bald Eagle Creek in Clinton County holds some real monster muski-loungers few know about.  I recall one caught and released just below the Sayers Dam that was 58" long! They say it takes 100 hours of fishing to catch one Muskie.
Back to top Go down
LongRifle

LongRifle

Pitchin' for Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pitchin' for Bass   Pitchin' for Bass EmptyJune 12th 2019, 7:49 pm

Lotta PA folks on here.  I too am originally from PA, Berks County to be exact.  Grew up in Mt. Penn area.  Spent my youth traveling the PA Appalachian Mountains fishing creeks and streams.
Back to top Go down
stoney1
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
stoney1

Pitchin' for Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pitchin' for Bass   Pitchin' for Bass EmptyJune 13th 2019, 7:23 am

@LongRifle wrote:
Lotta PA folks on here.  I too am originally from PA, Berks County to be exact.  Grew up in Mt. Penn area.  Spent my youth traveling the PA Appalachian Mountains fishing creeks and streams.
LongRifle
You're right, there are, BUT the key word (mostly) is "ORIGINALLY!!"
Most of the folks here FROM Pa. have moved to other parts of this great country. I believe that there are still a few of us diehards living here?  Wink
 I remember speaking with you about you growing in the Berks County area. It wasn't that long ago, maybe a few weeks back? Still a nice looking Bass! Very Happy Take care.
God bless:
Stoney

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Pitchin' for Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pitchin' for Bass   Pitchin' for Bass EmptyJune 13th 2019, 2:50 pm

After my first 27 years of life I moved from PA to MA for employment opportunities. 
It was really hard to leave the natural resources PA has to offer.   I still hunt my 'ol stopping grounds in Bradford and Clinton Counties in PA when I can.   My favorite 
PA deer season ( antlerless only ) occurs is late October where you can bow and muzzleloader hunt concurrently.
Back to top Go down
Dry Powder

Male Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2019-01-27

Pitchin' for Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pitchin' for Bass   Pitchin' for Bass EmptyJune 14th 2019, 6:02 am

LongRifle….……..  Glad you had a good time.     :tup2
Back to top Go down

Pitchin' for Bass
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Fishing Forum :: Fishing-
Jump to: