Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

A long and tough journey

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Firestick

Firestick

Male Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2019-02-18

A long and tough journey Empty
PostSubject: A long and tough journey   A long and tough journey EmptyJune 28th 2019, 7:54 pm

Well it has been a long tough journey since 1997 when I got sepsis from a simple cut on my finger during construction of an apartment complex. Lost a great deal of strength and stamina. Spent 5 days in ICU. They didn't think I was going to make it but some how at virtually the last hour the antibiotics kicked in full steam and I pulled through. A few years later and I contracted West Nile Viral Meningitis. I spent 3 days in ICU with that. It really kicked my health back even further. Then in the last ten years I have had 4 cardiac stents due to 90% blockage plus a triple cardiac ablation for sever afib. Two summers ago I had my gall bladder removed. Two weeks later and a week after my best friend and hunting partner passed away from renal failure I had and EDG done to find out why I was still in pain. They took 9 biopsies. Turned out to be stage 4 esophageal cancer. No chance for surgery as the surgeon said I would not survive it. At BEST it would be an 8 hr surgery IF everything went perfect. So I was set up for maximum radiation and maximum chemo therapy. Finally some good news after waiting 3 months it was determined the tumor and where it had spread was shrunk to undetectable levels. Now 6 months after treatment I am just starting to feel somewhat human again. For the 1st time in 3 years I can fish again. But the kicker is my long time friend and world famous bowyer Dan Toelke of Montana Bows is making me a 40# longbow so I can shoot again!!!! I can't get my Toelke Whip back to full draw anymore due to the illnesses. 53# is just too much for me. I can't wait to be back flinging arrows again!!!. Dans bows are some of the most beautiful crafted bows you would ever lay your eyes on. Who knows maybe I can even get back to form and slay a deer this fall! Waaaahhhoooo!
Back to top Go down
CoHiCntry
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
CoHiCntry

Male Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2013-10-01

PostSubject: Re: A long and tough journey   A long and tough journey EmptyJune 29th 2019, 8:26 am

Wow, sounds like you’ve had a rough time!  Hope your new bow turns out good!  I’ve always been intrigued by traditional bows but never fully made the plunge. I don’t hunt with a bow often but when I do I use a compound. To be honest it’s hard enough getting into compound bow range hunting spot & stalk, let alone traditional bow range!  Tree stand or blind hunting would be a different story I guess but I don’t use those tactics very often.  Looking forward to pics of your new bow when it’s done!

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10331
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: A long and tough journey   A long and tough journey EmptyJune 29th 2019, 9:35 am

So many problems and you still have a positive attitude. Good for you.

Enjoy your new bow.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
Firestick

Firestick

PostSubject: Re: A long and tough journey   A long and tough journey EmptyJune 29th 2019, 2:56 pm

@OldMtnMan wrote:
So many problems and you still have a positive attitude. Good for you.

Enjoy your new bow.
I also have spinal stenosis, arthritis and degenerative disc diseaes in my back and that is why I was forced into retiring on SSDI. Very hard to bend over without a cane or walking stick. Kind of hard being a carpenter in such condition:) I beat the grim reaper 3 times. No other way to see it than look forward and enjoy what is before me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: A long and tough journey   A long and tough journey EmptyJune 30th 2019, 7:44 am

My experience with longbow is with a 38# DW.  It was enough to take deer sized critters up to 25-yards. You will be happy with 40# and can do anything with that. You are a tough and blessed person to be able to get through your trials.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3725
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: A long and tough journey   A long and tough journey EmptyJune 30th 2019, 9:46 am

You're an inspiration Firestick.
In my younger years I set my compound to a macho 73 pounds at 28".  That kind of poundage is now out of the question Rolling Eyes  with my 63 year-old shoulder sockets.   It's now set as low as it can go at 55#... and even that's a bit of a struggle.  Last year I hunted with my 50# traditional stick bows.  There may come a time when a crossbow may be my only bow option...but I ain't there yet.  I guess we all must do whatever we need to do to keep the spirit of hunting alive.
40 pound pull is all you need.  Wink
Send us a pic or two of that new bow when you get it Firestick. Smile
Back to top Go down
mark1945
Forum
Forum
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: A long and tough journey   A long and tough journey EmptyJune 30th 2019, 12:39 pm

I made it to the crossbow option last year . Gave my compound to my son-in-law. Way to hard to draw anymore guess Im just getting old.

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: A long and tough journey   A long and tough journey EmptyJune 30th 2019, 12:49 pm

@mark1945 wrote:
I made it to the crossbow option last year . Gave my compound to my son-in-law. Way to hard to draw anymore guess Im just getting old.
What crossbow did you decide on Question
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: A long and tough journey   A long and tough journey EmptyJune 30th 2019, 1:23 pm

I tried a crossbow one year. It was a pain to carry. Bulky and weighed 10lbs.

I got a shot at 65 yds at an elk but I had only practiced to 50yds and I wasn't sure how much drop it would have at 65yds, so I passed on the shot. It would have been an easy shot with a muzzleloader.

Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: A long and tough journey   A long and tough journey EmptyJune 30th 2019, 1:30 pm

A long and tough journey 20150510

Firestick..Here's me in 1950 with a Longbow. I kind of wish I had stayed with it instead of using guns.

Back to top Go down
Firestick

Firestick

PostSubject: Re: A long and tough journey   A long and tough journey EmptyJune 30th 2019, 2:20 pm

@OldMtnMan wrote:
A long and tough journey 20150510

Firestick..Here's me in 1950 with a Longbow. I kind of wish I had stayed with it instead of using guns.
That is a pretty cool pic! I had a Bear fiberglass one at that age that looked about like that. It taught me why one should wear an arm guard! Shocked
Back to top Go down
mark1945
Forum
Forum
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: A long and tough journey   A long and tough journey EmptyJune 30th 2019, 2:38 pm

Marty I got a Carbon Express Covert CX1 . I got it used with bolts broadheads  and a target for a super good price . So far Im impressed with it but it is heavy.

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
Dry Powder

Male Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2019-01-27

PostSubject: Re: A long and tough journey   A long and tough journey EmptyJuly 7th 2019, 7:42 am

The older you get, strange things happen.  A few years back I went to a crossbow and never looked back.
  As OldMntMan said, his was bulky and weighted 10lbs.  I have to agree some what.   To me, mine feels heavy and awkward.  A lot more on a crossbow as well.  

But...……... That puppy will get the job done!
Back to top Go down
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: A long and tough journey   A long and tough journey EmptyJuly 7th 2019, 11:49 am

Yelp. Had Tick put me down 5 years ago then Gall Bladder. Then my Back got bad enough I couldn’t get out of Bed. Last year Arthritis put me down. This year Dislocated my Shoulder so I can’t us Crossbow or Rifle. All along been dealing with Barrettes Esophaguses.

Just remember we’re not alone and seems like life is just being a B.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: A long and tough journey   A long and tough journey EmptyJuly 10th 2019, 12:13 pm

@Dry Powder wrote:
The older you get, strange things happen.  A few years back I went to a crossbow and never looked back.
  As OldMntMan said, his was bulky and weighted 10lbs.  I have to agree some what.   To me, mine feels heavy and awkward.  A lot more on a crossbow as well.  

But...……... That puppy will get the job done!
You use whatever means are available.  If it's a crossbow than so be it.
You're absolutely right. Getting the job done is what it's all about Wink
Back to top Go down
Firestick

Firestick

PostSubject: Re: A long and tough journey   A long and tough journey EmptyYesterday at 11:51 pm

Well my bow came today. I'll try and get some pics and post them. It is a Toelke Pika. limb cores are heat treated bamboo. Limb veneers are heat treated tiger stripe maple under clear glass. The heat treating gives it a warm caramel color. The riser is gorgeous stabilized leopard wood. It shoots like a dream as does all Dan and Jared's bows. I can't believe such a short bow spits an arrow like it does. dead silent and absolutely dead in the hand. I am stoked!
Back to top Go down

A long and tough journey
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Bow Hunters - Preadator Hunting - Trapping :: Bow Hunters Forum-
Jump to: