Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2019-01-11

My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist Empty
PostSubject: My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist   My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist EmptyJuly 11th 2019, 6:17 am

This was its Maiden Voyage the other morning, What an AWESOME handling Rifle! This was just to Burn 10-12 Shots through it to “Set” the Bore Coat stuff (i wanted to shoot this thing, Scope or not!  :rtup ) All i can say is if it Shoots as good as it looks, and Feels I will be a VERY HAPPY Camper!!

The Rifle, She’s a thing of Beauty! 
My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist C2285-E95-C620-448-E-B3-EC-083-DAD87-B278

The Murphy’s Precision 20 MOA Base i went with, Guy does NICE work!! They are spendy, But VERY High Quality!
My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist 9-EB45-A7-B-983-E-451-D-ACC4-006-E40-EFC155

The New Lehigh Breech plug and Vent liner, I shimmed (Primer headspaced) This New Plug per Sabotloader’s Recommendations, It was easy to do, and it works REALLY Well! This is after 11 Shots and Cleaned
My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist 738-FC38-C-1-E6-F-4313-BE42-C9-F19006-D2-A3

And my Spent Primers, CLEAN! I had ZERO problems with Primers Sticking, They came right out as they are supposed to  :rtup
My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist BAAD16-C8-BD71-4488-9-B5-A-7-A784-F62-F27-A
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist   My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist EmptyJuly 11th 2019, 6:24 am

A little better pic of it Scoped up. The Scope is a Vortex Viper PST Gen ii 5-25X50 FFP (First Focal Plane) Rings are Steel Leupold Mark 4s In Medium Height. I got the Crosshairs Bug Nutz on, Using the Plumb line method. Hopefully get to shoot it today  :rtup

My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist 2-E18-E32-E-AC25-4939-8565-2-E0-C4-AB51771

My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist 49-A4-CAAA-5-B12-4600-91-F4-73-DC4-D7-F3-F23
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3725
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist   My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist EmptyJuly 11th 2019, 7:24 am

Awesome MLer and Viper scope!
Are you planning to use BH209 exclusively with this smoker?  I'm guessing you'll eventually use much heavier bullets which seems to be your preference.
Nice bench setup...and here I thought you only shot off car hoods Laughing
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist   My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist EmptyJuly 11th 2019, 6:08 pm

@Marty wrote:
Awesome MLer and Viper scope!
Are you planning to use BH209 exclusively with this smoker?  I'm guessing you'll eventually use much heavier bullets which seems to be your preference.
Nice bench setup...and here I thought you only shot off car hoods Laughing

Marty, Today was Real Blackpowder, Swiss 2F

I have a New Can of BH209, But i will probably stick with my Swiss 2F since i can easily get it, and it shoots STELLAR in all of my Rifles. BH209 is not available ANYWHERE close to me, Not even in the Big City of Coeur d'Alene an Hour south of me. If i went over in to Spokane Wa i am sure i could find it. I definitely plan to Try this BH, Just not sure I’ll stick with it?

I really like my Rifle Rest Setup! It’s just HEAVY and Cumbersome to pack around, That Rear Leather Bag has about 20 pounds of Lead Shot in it Very Happy The Front rest is a Sinclair Heavy Varmint, it is also HEAVY. The weakest link in my Setup is my Portable Shooting Bench, and in all honesty, it’s not bad at all! 

I do find myself Shooting over my Truck hood a LOT though Smile Simply Because it’s handy, and I don’t have to drag the other stuff along
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10331
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist   My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist EmptyJuly 11th 2019, 6:20 pm

Well, if you got to use an inline. That's a nice one Lewis. Knight makes a good gun.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist   My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist EmptyJuly 11th 2019, 8:04 pm

@OldMtnMan wrote:
Well, if you got to use an inline. That's a nice one Lewis. Knight makes a good gun.

Pete,  I am a TOTAL Blackpowder Any, and Everything Freak! I get a kick out of everything about this Stuff, Even how nasty Dirty they get Very Happy I’ve got the Blackpowder Bug BAD! lol!

Truth is, If I could only have 1 Rifle, it would be 1 of my Fast Twist Sidelocks that i set up, And narrowed further down, It would be my Rice 1:20 Twist .45 Cal if I could legally hunt Elk with it. 

This Knight Mountaineer is Truly UNREAL, It is UNDOUBTEDLY nicer than any of my Centerfire Rifles, These things are NUTS!!
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist   My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist EmptyJuly 12th 2019, 6:54 am

What kind of law does Idaho have for elk? You could use that .45 for elk in Colorado and we all know how stupid Colorado hunting laws are.

Back to top Go down
CoHiCntry
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
CoHiCntry

Male Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2013-10-01

PostSubject: Re: My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist   My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist EmptyJuly 12th 2019, 8:16 am

@OldMtnMan wrote:
What kind of law does Idaho have for elk? You could use that .45 for elk in Colorado and we all know how stupid Colorado hunting laws are.

He could use it for deer antelope & bear in Colorado but not elk.

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist   My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist EmptyJuly 12th 2019, 8:35 am

@CoHiCntry wrote:
@OldMtnMan wrote:

I had to go look that up. Colorado is dumber than I thought. Since when wouldn't a 300gr .45 cal not kill an elk? I assumed a .45 cal conical would be legal if it was heavy enough.

A 45/70 has no problem doing it and it's legal.

Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist   My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist EmptyJuly 12th 2019, 8:23 pm

@OldMtnMan wrote:
@CoHiCntry wrote:
@OldMtnMan wrote:

I had to go look that up. Colorado is dumber than I thought. Since when wouldn't a 300gr .45 cal not kill an elk? I assumed a .45 cal conical would be legal if it was heavy enough.

A 45/70 has no problem doing it and it's legal.

This is a HUGE Pet Peeve of mine!! It is the Same as you guys losing your 50 Cal Patched Roundball in Colorado for Elk. Except .45 Cal Muzzleloader has NEVER been legal to Hunt Elk with here in Idaho, at least that I know of? In a way I understand it, A Patched Roundball in .45 Cal is AWFULLY Little at 128 Grains, Any of us that are Serious Hunters and Understand Proper Shot placement, and understand/know our Range Limits, The Little 128 Grain Roundball would NO DOUBT Kill an Elk, Day n and Day out!! But there would be plenty of Elk Running Around 128 Grains heavier from a Poor decision/Shot placement from Folks that Don’t understand the above. In short, the .45 PRB is not a Great idea in Elk Country. I have this .45 CVA Mountain Rifle in Roundball Twist and LOVE it!! But it would be 1 of my last Choices to take on an Elk hunt.

But Bullets on the other Hand in a Fast Twist .45 Cal are a WHOLE different Ball Game! I shoot more Heavy lead in my Fast Twist .45s than i do in my 50s, and even my .54s!! I have 8-10 Different Molds that Pour .45 Cal bullets From 420, to 540 Grains. They Shoot these .45s Competitively to 1,000, even 1,200 Yards With the 500-540 Grain Bullets. But yet you can NOT legally Hunt Elk with a .45 Cal here in Idaho? All they would have to do is make a Projectile Weight Restriction, Lets say 400 Grains, That Obviously puts an end to a .45 PRB, Legally anyway. 

I have thought about Writing the Game Dept, Going to a Meeting, Whatever i felt might get heard? But then i catch myself thinking Why even bother? They ain’t gonna Change it. Poor attitude i know
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist   My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist EmptyJuly 12th 2019, 8:30 pm

I just go on facebook and tell them how dumb and uneducated they are.

They never write back scratch
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist   My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist EmptyJuly 12th 2019, 11:13 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
I just go on facebook and tell them how dumb and uneducated they are.

They never write back scratch

They never Write back scratch 

I’m sitting here lol!  at that! That’s why I don’t bother, They aren’t gonna listen.

My Dad warned Wa State F&G MANY years ago (early 90s era) of a MAJOR Cougar problem (I have albums Packed FULL of my Dad’s Old Hound Days) Back in that time nobody much had Computers, Everyone used regular Mail, My Dad Wrote F&G and told them that The BIG Cats were annihilating the Mountain Goats, and Blacktail Deer, Dad was finding Kills all over the Mountains, Every drainage had Numerous Cats in it. It was Truly a BOOM of them. Dad explained to F&G how populated they were, And That if they would come up, he would take them out with his Hound Dogs and tree Several Cougars in 1 Day so they could witness it (That was UNHEARD of!!) Anyway, F&G Responded with “We are glad to hear the Cougars are Doing well in the Area” Poor Ole Dad Scratched his head like What??? He wrote back “You don’t understand, These things are literally wiping the Goats, and Deer out, if something isn’t Done they will be Gone!! F&G Wrote Back again, Something along the same lines as their first response? Dad wrote them Back 1 more time and it was NASTY! I won’t repeat it, I can’t remember everything he said anyway, But He congratulated them in a REALLY HARSH way.

Now fast forward, The Mountain Blacktail Deer that i grew up around are Basically GONE, I have lifelong Friends there that live and Breathe to Hunt, They say that buying a Deer tag is almost a Guaranteed Waste, Very few tags get Filled. The Few Deer that are left are actually in the City areas, And Farm lands. 
     there have been people killed By cougars (Recently, Look it up!) in Wa state since my Dad warned, attacks on people are NOT uncommon at all! More so expected due to the amount of Cats.
   The Mountain Goats in our Old area were LITERALLY wiped out to Extinction!! They are now Trying to Re introduce/Transplant Mountain Goats from another area to those areas i grew up in, and Watched Goats on Rock cliffs from the time i was a little Boy, I seen a video recently on Facebook of a Poor Ole Transplanted Mountain Goat Running up a Logging rd in front of a Car, Completely confused and Unlike Mountain Goat behavior. They are Transplanting Food for the BIG Cats. TRUE STORY
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist   My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist EmptyJuly 13th 2019, 6:48 am

A few years back I made the mistake of buying a Pedersoli long rifle in .45. My intention was to just hunt deer with it. Then I looked it up and it wasn't legal to use a .45 PRB for deer.

How many deer have the .45 PRB's killed over the years? I was so pissed.

Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist   My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist EmptyJuly 13th 2019, 10:54 am

@OldMtnMan wrote:
A few years back I made the mistake of buying a Pedersoli long rifle in .45. My intention was to just hunt deer with it. Then I looked it up and it wasn't legal to use a .45 PRB for deer.

How many deer have the .45 PRB's killed over the years? I was so pissed.

I agree Pete, For Deer the .45 PRB would be DEADLY with proper Shot placement. The .32, and .36 Would be DEADLY on Deer as Well, The .36 Maxi ball is 128 Grains, TC shows a load listing of 60 Grains FFFG pushing that 128 Grain Maxi at 2,001 FPS, Generating 1,138 Ft Lbs of Muzzle Energy, That is one BAD ASS Little dude!! Over Double a .22 Magnum. The .22 Magnum is the Choice of 99% of Professional Butchers, it is Pretty Impressive to See a 1,000 PLUS pound Animal DUMP IMMEDIATELY in it’s tracks over a little 40 Grain .22 Caliber Bullet Between the Running lights

I am pretty sure the .45 PRB is legal for Deer here in Idaho? I need to check and make sure tho? If so, i intend to Hunt some with mine, Maybe fill my Xtra Doe Tag i Drew?
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

PostSubject: Re: My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist   My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist EmptyJuly 13th 2019, 11:00 am

Fun facts, I pulled up the little .32 Caliber Maxi Ball Data as well.

The .32 Maxi Ball weighs in at 103 Grains, TC lists a Max Load of 50 Grains FFFG Giving a Velocity of 1,749 FPS, And Generating 700 Ft Lbs of Muzzle Energy.

Tell me that wouldn’t be DEADLY on a Deer shot in the Vitals. These little Squirrel Rifles Brought more home than Squirrels Back in the Day, You can bet on that  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist   My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist EmptyJuly 13th 2019, 1:42 pm

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

My New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: