Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Pedersoli Plainsman Rifle double set trigger

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Widows Son

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2019-07-18

Pedersoli Plainsman Rifle double set trigger  Empty
PostSubject: Pedersoli Plainsman Rifle double set trigger    Pedersoli Plainsman Rifle double set trigger  Empty2019-07-18, 23:50

Hi. I’m new here . I live in Queensland Australia. I’ve been hooked on traditional muzzleloaders since I was a boy. Currently I only have two, a Pedersoli sxs shotgun and a recently acquired Pedersoli Plainsman. The Plainsman was made in 1976 according to the company. It’s in very nice condition for its age. However there is a weirdness to its double set trigger. 

Essentially it will only operate when the rear trigger is “set”. It doesn’t seem possible to only use the front trigger. The real problem with this is that it’s not possible to de-cock the hammer. If I don’t want to fire, I have to remove the percussion cap and put a bit of leather over the nipple and pull the trigger. 

I can see nothing broken or worn out in the trigger assembly. Maybe there is a spring or some part missing? 

I asked pedersoli about it but they haven’t yet replied. They did tell me they discontinued this model many years ago and are all out of spare parts. 

Thanks for your time and I hope someone can chime in with their suggestions.
Back to top Go down
Silent Walker

Silent Walker

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2019-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli Plainsman Rifle double set trigger    Pedersoli Plainsman Rifle double set trigger  Empty2019-07-19, 06:25

The lock and set triggers are pretty standard, as companies may change styles... the lock works and set triggers are the same.  As they really are not designed to fired with the front trigger alone.  If it's that much of a bother, wait to hear back from Pedersoli.

Lyman Great Plains Rifle 54 cal 1:60
"Rust Never Sleeps"
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli Plainsman Rifle double set trigger    Pedersoli Plainsman Rifle double set trigger  Empty2019-07-19, 07:07

Welcome to the forum.

I can understand the front trigger not working unless set first with the rear trigger. It probably does work but the trigger is so high you haven't pulled hard enough. 

However, not being able to de-cock makes no sense. If you set the rear trigger and cock the hammer or cock the hammer and set the rear trigger. Does it fire? If it does. Why can't you de-cock by just holding the hammer from falling while pulling the front trigger? That's no different from just fire the gun, except you're not letting the hammer fall.

Doesn't that make sense?

Does it have a screw between both triggers? If so, have you adjusted it?

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down

Pedersoli Plainsman Rifle double set trigger
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: