Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

What’s everyone hunting this year?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
CoHiCntry
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
CoHiCntry

Male Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2013-10-01

What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty
PostSubject: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-07-19, 08:16

So, what’s everyone’s hunting plans for this year?  All my hunts are in Colorado this year.  I have a doe antelope tag for the September archery season. Then a 2nd rifle season bull tag in October for unit 61 that’s taken me years of applying & acquiring points to get. And I’ll wrap up my season with a 3rd rifle season buck tag in November. Helping a friend with a rifle season antelope buck tag in South Park too and maybe helping on a bear hunt. Should be busy as usual... but a lot of fun too!

Renegadehunter

Male Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2018-10-12

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-07-19, 10:07

Archery elk in September first.  Unused bear tag that's open during that time, would take one if the opportunity presents itself, been wanting to try to render down some bear fat for patch lube trials.
Then general season whitetail opens in October, there is no "muzzleloader only" season but this is what I mainly use the renegade for.
If unsuccessful for archery elk, my tag is good for a muzzleloader only season in December for cow or spike.  I always hunt this if a tag is still in my pocket.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-07-19, 10:47

Bear with .54 PRB. Stalking is all we can do in Colorado.

I've lost my desire to kill elk and deer. Just predators now. Bear and coyotes.

I'm addicted to black powder.

Last edited by OldMtnMan on 2019-07-20, 13:11; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
azal

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2018-07-29

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-07-19, 18:55

I've got an anterless elk hunt and a altlered deer hunt at the same time, end of Oct. They are in adjacent units so I'll hunt elk in the morning and deer in the afternoon, I'll also be carrying my lion and bear tags.
Back to top Go down
BigAl52
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
BigAl52

Male Number of posts : 609
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-07-19, 20:52

Co Hi country I will be in youre area as I have been for the last few years with an either sex elk tag for first rifle season and a deer tag for second rifle season. Usually hunt up by independence mountain. Tried that with muzzleloader season a couple times but with all the archery hunters just flat gave up.

John Bergmann 50 cal Lancaster
John Bergmann 54 cal Hawken
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

Number of posts : 619
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-07-20, 10:34

Nothing again this year. This will make 5 years. Might as well get use to it.

I’m looking at my Sidelocks.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
MattRaymond

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-07-20, 11:31

Whitetail in the Fall, squirrels and turkey.
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-07-20, 13:08

Sept 6-12 Archery Elk, I went B Tag this year which is Geared toward Rifle, so I only get 6 Archery Days. 

2 Bear Tags (if i choose to hunt for 2 of them, doubtful i will, 1 is enough) Fall Bear starts Aug 30th and goes through Oct 31st.

Oct-10th Opening Day For Rifle Whitetail Deer, and Rifle Elk. My main focus is a TROPHY Class Whitetail Buck and will be where most of my time is spent, But if i see a Bull Elk, or a Bear i can Take either. I drew an Extra Whitetail Doe Tag this Year, Gonna try and get that Hunt on Video with 1 of Sidelock Muzzleloaders, Probably 1 of my .45 Cals, and likely My Rice 1:20 Twist over my GM LRH .45 

If i don’t get an Elk above, Dec 2nd through the 8th is Cow Elk ONLY, Muzzleloader ONLY, 1 mile of Private Land. This will be with 1 of Sidelock Muzzleloaders, Since i killed an Elk with my .50 LRH Last Year, i will probably use my .54 LRH this year  :rtup This is kind of a neat hunt in a way, you have to know the area well, They just Re Defined the 1 mile of Private land deal, It can’t just be any Private land anymore, it has to be Actively Cultivated in the last year, Pasture land, Crop land etc.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3801
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-07-21, 07:32

My archery deer season starts on October 7th and goes through November 30th. This year I plan to use only my traditional selfbows.
After that rifle season starts and goes to December 31st. I still have one remaining virgin muzzleloader in my gun case, my .45 CVA Kodiak Pro., which has yet to drop a deer. If Mother Nature permits I'm looking forward to hunting with snow cover under foot. I really enjoy picking up a fresh snow tract and still hunting the day.
Back to top Go down
Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Male Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2019-06-02

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-07-21, 09:18

Flying to Fairbanks Sept 7th to hook up with 3 buddies for a DIY moose/ caribou hunt. Black bear and wolf will be on the menu as well.(Non res can't shoot griz unless guided.) We will drive toward the Yukon border and set up camp in an area that looks good.
After that it is back home for whitetails, whitetails and more whitetails.
Back to top Go down
JLBSparks

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2015-03-04

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-07-21, 09:46

Same as MattRaymond. Deer, squirrels, and turkey out my back door. I haven't traveled to hunt in about five years.

-Joe
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3490
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-07-23, 09:16

JLBSparks wrote:
Same as MattRaymond. Deer, squirrels, and turkey out my back door. I haven't traveled to hunt in about five years.

-Joe

Hey Joe hows the weather been in Dickson Tennessee, was there years ago to hunt turkey with an old friend, now passed on.

Back to top Go down
heelerau

heelerau

Male Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2018-02-08

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-07-23, 15:23

Rabbits and ' roos, the odd crow !

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-07-23, 17:25

Nearly 100* for over a week, then a downpour yesterday brought in a cool front. Only 80ish today.

-Joe
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-07-24, 08:56

We're into the third week of above normal hot weather, Monday we broke a record at 104 - I stayed inside all day.

Back to top Go down
mark1945
Forum
Forum
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-07-24, 11:40

Hogs,Coons,Coyotes. Bobcats,Deer,Doves,and hoping to get back to Canada next spring for another Black Bear hunt. Im with you right now Buck its too Damn hot down here to venture out .

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
JLBSparks

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-07-24, 16:01

We haven't broken 100 yet.

-Joe
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1563
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-07-27, 18:45

Fort Sill deer muzzleloader season will open on/about 15 October. OK deer muzzleloader season will open on 26 October, deer gun season on 23 November. There is also a holiday doe season in late December. Maybe i'll luck out and draw a Fort Sill elk tag.

Will continue to hunt hogs weekly. Shot a huge boar earlier this week. Nailed him in the chest with a patched round ball from my TC Fire Hawk at about 60 yards. Heard him crash in the bush 75-100 yards distance. It was night time and i don't mess with big hogs shot after dark.

Coyotes are always fair game as are bobcats and raccoons, in season.

This fall i will hunt more often with a conventional muzzleloader.
Back to top Go down
Coalforge

Coalforge

Male Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2016-07-20

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-07-28, 16:52

Coyotes.  I am on an island where you can't hunt with a modern rifle. I can do better with my muzzleloader than I can with a modern shotgun.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keystoneironworks.com/
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-07-29, 09:07

Coyotes are always fun to hunt and outsmart them at their hiding game.

Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-07-30, 12:11

Due to health issues I haven't hunted as often as I would have liked to the past few years.  IF I can get out this fall I hope to get a deer with my "still unchristened" .50 longrifle.  Along with a buck - I've applied for the doe permit lottery - maybe a doe.  I've been wanting a turkey for a while, now, and might luck out.  Let's not forget squirrels, they trained me to hunt way back when I was a kid.  I refuse to hunt and shoot bears.  Just a very personal thing because I'd feel awful if I killed one.  Of course something unlikely might occur to change that.  And that still leaves bobcats.  I killed them with muzzleloaders and saw many that I did not shoot down in my native Georgia.  I've already shot enough coons to last me a lifetime.  Saw lots of foxes there and in Virginia but just didn't have a desire to shoot at them.  Coyotes?  Well, we were overrun with them in Ga but I only shot one.  Up here I consider them fair game.
Back to top Go down
http://www.martialartsusa.com
Sgt Recoil

Sgt Recoil

Male Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2015-10-11

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-08-18, 23:25

YI’ll be going after whitetail buck with bow/crossbow early fall but will go after small game with .32 Pedersoli Frontier flintlock and TC N.E. 12 g shotgun. 
Home for thanksgiving so maybe a moose with my TC .54 Hawken perc and a Lyman Plains bullet.  
Getting closer now, archery here in Alberta Canada starting 25 Aug. 
Best of luck to all those heading out this fall, keeping it real.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3801
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-08-19, 08:48

Sgt Recoil wrote:
YI’ll be going after whitetail buck with bow/crossbow early fall but will go after small game with .32 Pedersoli Frontier flintlock and TC N.E. 12 g shotgun. 
Home for thanksgiving so maybe a moose with my TC .54 Hawken perc and a Lyman Plains bullet.  
Getting closer now, archery here in Alberta Canada starting 25 Aug. 
Best of luck to all those heading out this fall, keeping it real.
Wow...that's an early archery season.  Good luck hunting in the warmer weather.
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1775
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-08-19, 09:34

I will hopefully be headed to Kentucky for whitetail. 
I may get to hunt in Tennessee for whitetail as well. 
If I get the chance, I will go for ferrel hog in Florida. 
I am trying to get some old friends to go fishing for grouper in Florida. 
I would like to go after some lion fish in Florida. 
(Lion fish are tricky as I need to find a scuba buddy that spear fishes who also does not mind a spear fishing newbie)

I will likely be using my new Knight Wolverine .50 on the deer.
I will likely be using my 'new-to-me' Ruger .308 WIN that I bought from Palehorse on the hogs.

This season, I have no dog as I lost Phoenix (Welsh Springer Spaniel) this Spring and don't have the heart to get another one.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
mushka

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2018-07-09

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-08-23, 08:43

If my leg allows, some quail hunting, dove shooting, I did get drawn for deer here in so. Az.
Back to top Go down
ElkFever

ElkFever

Male Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2016-01-31

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-08-23, 15:37

I drew a cow elk tag and will be shooting my T/C .50 bored out to .54 1/66 PRB. (by Mr. Hoyt)
Currently working up a load combo for it. My best so far is 70g's Pyro RS, .18 patch & .530 ball, but still working up the powder G's until satisfied I have the best combo.
MikeW
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16345
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-08-23, 15:49

Dad and brother drew doe tags and I drew a buck tag for muzzleloader season.

My dad and I shoot 70gr 3fg, .490" round ball and my brother will shoot 80gr 3fg, .530 round ball.
Back to top Go down
Sgt Recoil

Sgt Recoil

Male Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2015-10-11

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-08-23, 19:35

FrontierGander wrote:
Dad and brother drew doe tags and I drew a buck tag for muzzleloader season.

My dad and I shoot 70gr 3fg, .490" round ball and my brother will shoot 80gr 3fg, .530 round ball.

Here in Alberta Canada it’s opposite. 1 deer tag is good for doe or buck. Then you can get a supplemental tag for doe. 
My .54 load is the same as your Bro’s. 
Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: What’s everyone hunting this year?   What’s everyone hunting this year? Empty2019-08-24, 09:05

I have been shooting 70gr - 3FFF, .490" round ball, .018 pillow tick daisy patches in my two GRRW rifles and now in the three GRRW.CA guns. Have a shooting bag for each but only use one for all the guns, makes life much easier. The GRRW.CA Northwest Trade Gun (smoothbore) does very well with this load for grouping and knock down power.

Back to top Go down

What’s everyone hunting this year?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: The Hunting Lodge :: Off Topic-Hunting Lodge-
Jump to: